Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vitamix purchase, please tell me I haven't gone bonkers!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm      Reply with quote
QVC had one on air today and the reviews were really good. I wanted to check other prices so I googled and ended up on the Costco website. The one they had was a lot more money ($600+) but had more goodies with it. I looked to see what road shows were coming to town, hoping Vitamix would be one. Well.............they're in town this week. My first thought was "God must want me to have this" or it's just a coincidence. I tripped off to Costco, watched the demo and bought one. It was noon when I got home and it is still in the box. Now I have no problem spending $400 on a TV but I just spent that much for a kitchen appliance.

Anyone have one? I need convincing so I can open the box!!!!! Or, suggestions to take it back will work for me also.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
QVC had one on air today and the reviews were really good. I wanted to check other prices so I googled and ended up on the Costco website. The one they had was a lot more money ($600+) but had more goodies with it. I looked to see what road shows were coming to town, hoping Vitamix would be one. Well.............they're in town this week. My first thought was "God must want me to have this" or it's just a coincidence. I tripped off to Costco, watched the demo and bought one. It was noon when I got home and it is still in the box. Now I have no problem spending $400 on a TV but I just spent that much for a kitchen appliance.

Anyone have one? I need convincing so I can open the box!!!!! Or, suggestions to take it back will work for me also.

Laughing Laughing Laughing If it helps at all, I'm expecting to get a couple of gift certificates for Christmas so I've put off getting a Vitamix so I can put the certificates towards it. But, I'll probably end up spending about $300 of my own money on it. As long as you have a plan for how you're going to use it and you plan to use it I say go ahead and open the box! Enjoy, it's a purchase to improve your health and worth spending more than you would for a TV.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
If it helps I have two the old metal one from over 30 years ago still chugging along like a champ and a 4500 a few years old and I love both!
They have had quite a work out as long as I have owned them and I wouldn't be without at least one!!! Great purchases for me, I have never regretted what I spent and I sure have gotten my monies worth at least 100 times over!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
I also LOVE mine for about 10 years or so.
It is used almost daily, and even though at the time ( I paid then about $500-600) it seemed like an outrageous purchase, it was the best money spent on a kitchen appliance.

By now, my mom has Blendtec and so is now SIL, since they have small kitchens and needed it to fit on the counter under top cabinets. If the height and storage not an issue, and if you are actually going to use it - then it is worth every penny.

Also, you can keep it for a few months, and if then you decide that it does not make sense for you you can always return it, since Costco has a very generous return policy.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:37 pm      Reply with quote
So sorry, my comp was hanging and it got posted 3 times - my apologies and I do not know how to fix it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
So sorry, my comp was hanging and it got posted 3 times - my apologies and I do not know how to fix it.

I think it's the site sigma, same thing happened to me last night! hmm

Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
sigma wrote:

Simply point the duplicates out to us using the "Report" feature and we will happily remove them.

Frodo, considering this has been on my wish list for ages now, I would consider you more of a lucky duck than bonkers. Cool
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
sigma wrote:

Simply point the duplicates out to us using the "Report" feature and we will happily remove them.

Frodo, considering this has been on my wish list for ages now, I would consider you more of a lucky duck than bonkers. Cool

My definition of a lucky duck is "winning the lottery". All kidding aside, I plan on opening the box tonight and reading the recipe book.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo,

enjoy your new toy and let us all know how it would work for you.

All the best!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I ended up returning it to Costco. I just didn't think I would use it enough to justify the cost. I decided to purchase the Ninja the same day from Costco. The picture below is from QVC. I paid $46. I returned and bought on Tuesday.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K30092.desc.The-Ninja-Master-Prep-Professional-Food-Drink-Maker

Today (Saturday) I opened up the box and it was missing the cookbook. It is snowing like crazy so I asked my HB if he would return it as I just don't deal with snow. He just left and I am certain by the time he gets home there will be a foot of snow in our very long driveway. Thank God for our Kabota as I am sure his next chore will be turning wheelies with the tractor. I will say though, it is absolutely gorgeous outside. Looks just like a Christmas card.

Edited to correct: Today is Sunday not Saturday. WTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Just heard about a blender called Ninja on another board. Anyone have one?

http://www.ninjakitchen.com/Ninja-NJ600-Professional-Blender.shtml

Actually it says it can't blend to liquid, only puree, oh bummer.

Also reading about Blendtec which is also $400+. sigh
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 am      Reply with quote
They've just had the Vitamix on the Shopping Channel here in Australia, it was $999!! It looks great and I would love one, but just could not justify spending that much on a kitchen appliance, I don't think I would get my monies worth out of it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
I have one. I think it'll last over 10+ years. Blendtec is also very very good. This sort of thing is good to have if you're committed to incorporating lots of fruits and veggies in your life. If it's just sitting there, it's a waste. Compared to normal blenders, there is no comparison.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
When I started researching green smoothies I was convinced I would need one. ...That I HAD to have one to make a green smoothie right. Then I read a blog from a woman who said, "Just use your own blender..it works just fine."
She was right. A regular blender.Or heck a $150 blender works more than just fine. After using my old cheap blender and drinking a perfect green smoothie...I could never justify the cost.
However...Many swear by them! Just like espresso machines... what you are talking about is marginal quality for a lot more money...and if it is important to you...go for it. If not..save your cash.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I believe it takes owning both a simple blender and a great one (like Vitamix) to know the difference.

While I agree it is not a necessity, imho it is worth every penny. I have one for the past 7-8 years, and it is being used daily.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Married to a pro chef... He bought me a vitamix. I LOVE it. HE thinks the cheapos, work like they are cheap.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I've had the cheap ones and now I have a blendtec and a good blender is a joy to use - but only if you use it. Smile
I went to the Mother Earth News Fair in PA last year and the Vitamix guy had quite a following. I think it is a marvelous product and if I had not gotten a blendtec I became entirely smitten with Vitamix and would've bought one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:34 am      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
I believe it takes owning both a simple blender and a great one (like Vitamix) to know the difference.

While I agree it is not a necessity, imho it is worth every penny. I have one for the past 7-8 years, and it is being used daily.

HTH

I feel/am exactly the same on both points. Smile

You can definitely use a regular blender (I have to do so when traveling and visiting family/friends), but there is a big difference with a Vitamix.

But like Sigma says, the Vitamix lasts a long time. The basic warranty is 7 years, and you can upgrade to 10 years. So then the cost is about $55-60 (USD)/ year to have one (if you decide to purchase a new one every decade, but the machines usually last longer than that). Plus if you can get one of the refurbished ones (usually they've been used only a couple dozen times or less), they are typically $100 less but come with the same warranty.

Buy hey, it all depends on how often you'd use it, your budget, how important the ease of care and the more powerful motor are to you, etc.

For me personally, I LOVE Vitamix, and it is the best health purchase I've ever made! (Green smoothies, anyone? Wink) In fact, my husband and I love it so much and both use it everyday, so we each have a Vitamix Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I've never used one and I'm sure I'd like and enjoy one. But I was pleasantly surprised when my old blender worked pretty good.

It is a foreign concept to families on a budget to easily pay out $700 for a blender. And what is funny...juice enthusiasts act like it is no big deal.. on their websites they list the Vitamix as must have and you go to google it and get more than sticker shock. That could be half a family's vacation money for the year.

I can see where an avid green smoothie drinker..(some drink them two three times a day) could see the value in saving up for the machine. Gee..at Whole Foods a fresh vegetable juice is almost four dollars.

So..the cost can be justified. It is just like an expensive espresso machine...over the years..it pays for itself if you stop going to Starbucks and you have it right in your kitchen.

It is just that upfront cost and knowing you'll use it daily to make it worth the money...and for some?...maybe the old blender is good enough -- and they'd rather spend disposable income elsewhere.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:35 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
... In fact, my husband and I love it so much and both use it everyday, so we each have a Vitamix Smile

LOL! You've got to make a his and hers picture. Make your drink Pink (strawberries), and his blue (berries)!

And here I thought we were the only people with an insane amount of hardware on the counter!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 am      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
I've never used one and I'm sure I'd like and enjoy one. But I was pleasantly surprised when my old blender worked pretty good.

It is a foreign concept to families on a budget to easily pay out $700 for a blender. And what is funny...juice enthusiasts act like it is no big deal.. on their websites they list the Vitamix as must have and you go to google it and get more than sticker shock. That could be half a family's vacation money for the year.

I can see where an avid green smoothie drinker..(some drink them two three times a day) could see the value in saving up for the machine. Gee..at Whole Foods a fresh vegetable juice is almost four dollars.

So..the cost can be justified. It is just like an expensive espresso machine...over the years..it pays for itself if you stop going to Starbucks and you have it right in your kitchen.

It is just that upfront cost and knowing you'll use it daily to make it worth the money...and for some?...maybe the old blender is good enough -- and they'd rather spend disposable income elsewhere.

The regular blenders can do the job...it takes longer and their motors can easily burn out because they weren't designed to purify the way the Blentec and Vitamix do. I will say that there is a blender that I can recommend and it is much cheaper and works just as good as my Blentec...it is the this one http://www.discountjuicers.com/lequipblender.html
I had this blender before I got my Blentec and I only paid 89.00 for it. You have to spend time googling to get the cheapest price. I sold it to my best friend and she drinks smoothies daily and it is working beautifully after three years. I think it has a warranty for 7 years.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Where did you get the $700 number from? You can get one almost as good as new (used only a few times) Vitamix machines for $380.

https://secure.vitamix.com/vitamix-reconditioned-machines.aspx

And if you compare the above option to the fact the fact that a standard Oster blender costs $70 and lasts probably one-third as long (1-year warranty vs. 7 years for Vitamix), the price difference ($210 versus $380) between the two options shrinks dramatically.

Not everyone who has a Vitamix, though, falls into the category of "juice enthusiasts [who] act like it is no big deal". I think it also depends on spending priorities. One Vitamix I bought as a student (was frugal, only took vacations every other year, tracked all my purchases to come under budget), and the second was a wedding gift from more well-to-do wedding guests Smile Also, I once bought a 25-year-old Vitamix machine on Craigslist for $20 that, while cosmetically it was banged up, still was almost as powerful as a new one. There are some good deals out there--on Ebay and Craigslist--so it isn't automatically out of budget.

Just saying that if someone wants a Vitamix machine but can't afford to pay full price for a new one, there are creative ways around that to get used machines for cheap Smile And of course, there are intermediate machines such as the Healthmaster that are options.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
but I was pleasantly surprised when my old blender worked pretty good.

But yes, that is totally true! No one needs to have a Vitamix or fancy blender to do the job and make green smoothies. The Vitamix and similar machines just last longer and blend things smoother, are quicker to use, and faster to clean. HTH Smile

Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |