Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)
Do you agree with article "Gorgeous Skin in 10 minutes&
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Natalyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/your-most-gorgeous-skin-ever-in-just-10-minutes-a-day-2428529/

The article recommends no toner. This is a simple routine, so easy to implement. It is kinda what I am doing already except I cleanse, apply retin-a, follow by emu oil or avocado oil. I don't moisturize before retin-a because i am worried that it will block retin-a from penetrating.

Do you agree that you should apply moisturizer first and after retin-a?
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/your-most-gorgeous-skin-ever-in-just-10-minutes-a-day-2428529/

The article recommends no toner. This is a simple routine, so easy to implement. It is kinda what I am doing already except I cleanse, apply retin-a, follow by emu oil or avocado oil. I don't moisturize before retin-a because i am worried that it will block retin-a from penetrating.

I don't agree, I don't think you need to use a moisturizer before Retin A, I'm not sure it would prevent it from working properly I just think it's overkill. The article was about simplifying your routine but I think moisturizer before Retin A is an unecessary additional step.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I understood the articles as applying moisturizer after retinoid products.

Quote:
But he does suggest a final application of moisturizer after the retinoid cream to prevent redness and flaking, especially in the winter when skin is drier.
Time spent: two minutes

I like to use PC 2% BHA liquid in the am. I also have Clinique mild action toner. It has no fragrance, alcohol and .5% bha.

I know this was night time skin care but I think it is important to mention using sunscreen during the day.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
Actually, I understood the articles as applying moisturizer after retinoid products.

Quote:
But he does suggest a final application of moisturizer after the retinoid cream to prevent redness and flaking, especially in the winter when skin is drier.
Time spent: two minutes

The way I interpreted it, the doctor advised moisturizer before AND after the retinoid. Moisturizer (or a "light lotion") was step 2, step 3 the retinoid, and step 4 was more moisturizer. That sounds like moisturizer overkill to me!
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
It depends on what your routine is to begin with. That's actually a pretty involved routine, and it involves retinoids so thats pretty advanced.

I wash my face once a day and right afterwards apply sunscreen. If for some reason I wash my face twice that day, that means I've appled sunscreen twice too, but most days it's just once. I don't wash my face before bed so by the logic of that article I have "my most gorgeous skin" in 0 minutes a day. Of course, I get my chin and mouth area when I brush my teeth but I'm not counting that. (This is my fall and spring skin care routine).

Once in a while I use some other products but not with any regularity- if I find myself showering at night, then I feel weird applying sunscreen although sometimes I still do that out of habit. Anyway, I definitely think that washing your face is overrated.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:31 am      Reply with quote
I think the advice given on forums like EDS is better!

Moisturiser before Retin-A will buffer it. That's fine if your skin is very sensitive but to then apply it again afterwards seems a bit pointless. Either before or after is enough.

3 minutes to cleanse your face would be a little long for most people.

2 minutes to apply a moisturiser and 3 to apply a retinoid.... No way! A minute tops for both (excluding waiting time between them).
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:05 am      Reply with quote
The lotion that he refers to could apply to serums perhaps - I apply serums before Retin-A and I do apply a moisturiser (Emu Oil) after.

Overall, I thought his advice was excellent. At least he advocates Retin-A and not some expensive product and I agree that you don't need to spend allot of money on a fancy cleanser.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think my cleansing lasts even one minute. There's no way I can make it last 3 minutes. Laughing So I'd follow his routine, minus the pre-moisturizer before retin-a and minus all the minutes. So my routine will be maybe 5 minutes max, but most likely 3 minutes top.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Natalyn wrote:

No...I totally disagree (surprise, surprise.) No moisturizer or oils before or after to get the TOTAL benefit of RA's. Why dilute it???? I know there are side effects, but you can knock out the peelies by using your oils/moisturizers at other times.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mountaingirl. My skin gets parched and I usually put some moisterizer on 1 hour after applying the retin a. So are you sayng that I shouldn't do that? I certainly want to get all the benefits of using it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Swissmom wrote:
Hi Mountaingirl. My skin gets parched and I usually put some moisterizer on 1 hour after applying the retin a. So are you sayng that I shouldn't do that? I certainly want to get all the benefits of using it.

I also do the wait period and then apply Emu Oil. I would just do what feels right for you - you'll still get the benefits from Retin-A. My skin doctor told me recently that Retin-A enhances whatever else you use.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
I shower at night after my workout. Then I apply SkinBiology's LacSal (lactic and salicylic acid). I've just changed my routine the past week to use Mismo Vitamin ACE serum on one side of my face by using the back of the same hand on that side. I will do it for several weeks and then compare face and hands. Whichever side looks better, I'll buy more of that product.

In the AM, I wash my face, apply SkinBiology's Skin Signals CPs followed by squalane. In summer I use sunscreen. At this time of year I figure it's safe to go without sunscreen so I can absorb more Vitamin D.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
I disagree with the not using toner.
Some toners have good ingredients, but I think mos are just water and fragrance.

Sometimes I use an AHA toner, like Neostrata glycolic 8%, then a regular face cream.

or else use a toner that has salicilic acids to help a bit with blemishes.

One thing though- I do not think people really need a separate cream for their hands compared to the rest of the body!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 am      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:
One thing though- I do not think people really need a separate cream for their hands compared to the rest of the body!

Hand creams often contain ingredients to strengthen the nails so, in that way, they can be different from body moisturisers.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:49 am      Reply with quote
The hand cream I use also provide a water-resistant barrier on my hands.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:05 am      Reply with quote
I also do the wait period and then apply Emu Oil. I would just do what feels right for you - you'll still get the benefits from Retin-A. My skin doctor told me recently that Retin-A enhances whatever else you use.[/quote]

Thanks, Keliu! Smile
CLxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Is the medical doctor a he or she ? Oh, HE would not understand from the perspective of a man as well as a dermatologist, ie a male derm. A dermatologist would think you are just fine as along as you have a layer of skin covering your face functional and protective of your body. They don't care for large and clogged pores.

When you find people who smoke, drink and wash face only with water and never use sunblock but still their skin glow. IMO, skin conditions is very much "decided" the moment when you are born, it is in the gene. There is not much (say 20 percent - to quantify it) that you can do just to correct a mistreatment or to make the most of it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
CLxx wrote:
When you find people who smoke, drink and wash face only with water and never use sunblock but still their skin glow. IMO, skin conditions is very much "decided" the moment when you are born, it is in the gene. There is not much (say 20 percent - to quantify it) that you can do just to correct a mistreatment or to make the most of it.

That is true - but if you use Retin-A at least you know that you are using something which has clinical evidence behind it, not just a lot of marketing spiel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
CLxx wrote:

That would be me... (But the "drinking" part is 3 or 4 glasses of wine per week. Not excessive in my estimation! Laughing )

I agree a lot has to do with good "genes", but that only takes you so far.

All I can say is I've come a long way baby, in the last 3 years, and did it all from the comfort of my own home. Wink

I love EDS, good books + and the www ... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Swissmom wrote:

I am very "old school" when it comes to use of Retin A, because I started using it in the 1980's and we never diluted it with anything. I reaped the benefits of using it that way, and really believe that layering it with other products, even an hour later, diminishes its potency. Most dermatologist's do approve (and recommend) adding the moisturizer...I just don't agree. Neutral But more important is, intuiting what is best for you, then do your thing!

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
I am very "old school" when it comes to use of Retin A, because I started using it in the 1980's and we never diluted it with anything. I reaped the benefits of using it that way, and really believe that layering it with other products, even an hour later, diminishes its potency. Most dermatologist's do approve (and recommend) adding the moisturizer...I just don't agree. Neutral But more important is, intuiting what is best for you, then do your thing!

Logically, what you're saying makes sense. However, I can't bring myself to "ignore" all the other actives and peptides. A very good motto for life is "Less is more" - but when it comes to skincare, that goes out the window for me. I admit that, at the moment, I'm applying several serums (all different brands) and I sometimes wonder if this massive cocktail isn't just a time bomb waiting to go off!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy - why have you stopped wearing sunscreen. I know you used to be a big proponent of it and used to mention the importance of it in your signature line. What made you change your mind?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I love EDS, good books + and the www ... Very Happy

me, too! Smile

5% products discount

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Products do really help though... I'm an ex-smoker and recently started a good skin care regimen. The difference in the past six month is huge... every time I feel my face I can tell the difference. The most important thing is to do it consistently, results take time to show.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
knathani wrote:
The most important thing is to do it consistently, results take time to show.

Best advice I have read! I am horrible with consistency. I jump around so much. One of my goals is to be consistent and give the products enough time.

What are you using that you have had such good results with, knathani?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |