Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Supplements for dry skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
There are a whole combination of factors causing me to have really dry skin lately. First of all, I'm on a medication that dries me out. I'm also on Obagi Nu Derm, but the dryness is not just confined to my face. While it's normally quite temperate here in South Florida, lately we've had freezing temps and the cold dry air outside combined with indoor heating is really doing a number on me, especially combined with the other things.
Because of the Obagi, I expect the dry skin on my face. I'm sure it's worse than it normally would be right now because of everything else, but even my hands have been painfully dry lately. I always use a good hand lotion after I wash my hands, but it's not helping much. I started using Neutrogena hand cream (which I've been buying on and off for YEARS) liberally every night. I also layer the Aquaphor on my lips and around my nose before going to sleep.
Because of the dehydrating effects of the medication I'm on, I drink water constantly. But I still "feel dry" on the inside, if that makes sense. So what are some good supplements to help maintain moisture balance in the body and help out my parched skin?
Yesterday I picked up some Udo's Choice oil blend, which is a balance of Omegas 3, 6 and 9. I'm starting with 1 tbsp. morning and night to see if that helps. I'm also going to start taking Vitamin E. I got a humidifier for my bedroom and am using it at night. Any other ideas?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe these can help?

http://www.nutritional-supplement-educational-centre.com/supplements-for-dry-skin.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-skin/DS00560

http://www.livestrong.com/article/266085-foods-natural-supplements-that-help-with-dry-skin/

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin A is vital for healthy skin. Take 10,000 IU as beta carotene daily.

Vitamin B complex is an anti-stress vitamin which also helps maintain skin health. Take 50 milligrams three times a day.

Omega-3 fatty acids nourish the skin. Take one tablespoon oil daily.

Aloe vera gel is an age-old remedy for irritated skin. It relieves both itching and pain and is believed to speed healing.

Evening primrose oil promotes healing and helps prevent dryness. It can also be applied topically once a day to reduce redness.

Vitamin E oil supports skin health and helps maintain elasticity.

Zinc cream forms a protective layer when applied to the skin.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
Fish oil and primrose oil internally.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 am      Reply with quote
I've taken very large amounts of fish oil capsules for probably about a year & it's made very little if any difference to my dry/dehyrated skin.
mowgli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:03 am      Reply with quote
I've actually found my 3-6-9 oils supplements to be really helpful in preventing flaky skin during winter. I had a busy period a couple of weeks ago and forgot to take these supplements for a couple of days - it was like -pardon the image- winter wonderland under my clothes! LOTS of flaking basically all over my body.

Am back on the supplements and flaky skin is gone..

Other good supplements might be skin, hair and nails supplements?

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:02 am      Reply with quote
CindiLou wrote:
I've taken very large amounts of fish oil capsules for probably about a year & it's made very little if any difference to my dry/dehyrated skin.

I take a lot of Whole food supplements plus the Omegas, and my skin has been normal my whole life and still is with or without the supplements. For me it's a question of overall health of the whole body which obviously includes our skin, but nothing I take is just for the sake of my skin. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Years ago, and I don't know why I stopped, I used Crisco. I had read that some dermatologists were reapackaging Crisco into small jars, labeling it "Cream C", and charging a fortune for it.

I would take some Criso and melt it slowly with very low heat. As soon as it melted I would remove it from the heat, pour it into a storage jar, and immediately add Vitamin E, Omega Fish Oil, or whatever else was hanging around that was oil soluble, stir it and then place it in the refrigerator to quickly cool.

The articles that I read at the time said that it only took a layer of Crisco one molecule thick to work. I like petroleum jelly too, buy Crisco is less messy.
girllee

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Try flax seed oil. You can either take it as oil, capsules or ground up flax seeds. Flax seed oil has a nice flavor and smell.
Michael McIntosh

Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Essential vegetable oils, seed oils and fish oils are good to keep your skin nourished. Flaxseeds, salmon and walnuts are enriched in omega-3 fatty acids. The consumption of these natural ingredients in your diet makes the surface soft and supple.

Foods like oranges, grapes, peaches, mangoes, papaya, squash, sweet potatoes are good sources of vitamin A and C. Go green include more green vegetables. In fact, it has been proved that intake of dark green leafy vegetables and orange foods are the best way to keep dryness off your skin. Moisturizers that are available in the market should do well to nourish the skin. Try Manuka Honey moisturizer for the facial skin. I've used it and just loved the way it replenished my skin.
beautyrose
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Please try the Yonka Lotion Ps Normal To Dry Skin.Maybe this one could help you.you could buy from the EDS.
Coconut
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
CindiLou wrote:

For me, I have to take a much higher dose than what is offered in the capsules. I take a tablespoon of fish and hemp everyday and I can definitely tell a difference in the softness of my skin when I am using them.
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut wrote:
CindiLou wrote:

For me, I have to take a much higher dose than what is offered in the capsules. I take a tablespoon of fish and hemp everyday and I can definitely tell a difference in the softness of my skin when I am using them.

I was taking the maximum dose recommended which was 9 capsules. I don't know what the side effects could be of taking more than that.
The only thing i've found to help my skin is Jurlique's Moisture Replenishing Day Cream & drinking water through the night if i wake up thirsty. I already drink 2 - 3 litres during the day but just getting a bit more in during the night has made a noticeable difference.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
CindiLou,

It sounds like you are doing the best thing upping the water intake, veggies and fruits also and other foods listed on the link!

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78645

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, DarkMoon. I think my diet is much better than the average person's diet but there's always room for improvement. I definitely need to try to incorporate more veggies in there.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
CindiLou wrote:
Thanks for the link, DarkMoon. I think my diet is much better than the average person's diet but there's always room for improvement. I definitely need to try to incorporate more veggies in there.

That's fairly typical CindiLou and I was a born veggie lover! Smile
The only other thing is if you aren't getting enough sodium which is rare, but can happen?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
No that wouldn't be the problem for me. As i'm trying to drop a few kilos, i try to fill up on soup while i'm waiting for tea to cook, most nights. There would be plenty of sodium in my low joule packet soup. But thanks for the suggestion. Smile
My skin's not so much dry i think (as in it's never dry & flaking) but it seems no matter how much oil/moisturiser i put on it, it sinks in so quickly & then feels dry & tight again. That is apart from when i use the Jurlique cream i mentioned.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |