Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Newbie needing guidance to skin care for over 50 skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MrsTi

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:24 am      Reply with quote
I am so excited about this forum! I am so tired of buying products that don't work and members here seem so informed. I hope I can find what direction to take with my skin care.

I'm over 50 with dry skin. I am aging well but notice a significant change in the area under my eyes and also around my lips. I have been reading and the buzz seems to be VitC serums and Retinol but I'm still not sure of which product to try.

I've been using Jan Marini and loved how it moisturized and my skin no longer feels real dry. However, my wrinkles seem to be getting worse particularly around the eyes.

I am very dehydrated and I'm trying to drink more water.

Where should I begin with so many products out there?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:36 am      Reply with quote
MrsTi wrote:
I am so excited about this forum! I am so tired of buying products that don't work and members here seem so informed. I hope I can find what direction to take with my skin care.

I'm over 50 with dry skin. I am aging well but notice a significant change in the area under my eyes and also around my lips. I have been reading and the buzz seems to be VitC serums and Retinol but I'm still not sure of which product to try.

I've been using Jan Marini and loved how it moisturized and my skin no longer feels real dry. However, my wrinkles seem to be getting worse particularly around the eyes.

You can always start with a low % of Retin A, and then if your skin is not sensitive add Vit C Serum (e.g. Cosmetic Skin Solutions http://www.cosmeticskinsolutions.com/), good barrier repair serum (e.g. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Protective Recovery Complex) and a good moisturizer suitable for your type of skin ( tons of recommendations here!) Smile
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:48 am      Reply with quote
MrsTi wrote:

What products from Jan Marini are you using? My opinion after wasting much money on skin care is a topical A product at night (start with an OTC retinol product and move up to low strenthh Retin A). Sunscreen during the day. I personally do not believe C will improve wrinkles. It is a good antiantioxidant, and can be used in the morning for added sun protection under your sunscreen. Sunscreen and a topical A will do more for your skin than anything, but the A takes time - up to 1 year of nightly use to see the most benefits (more if you are using an OTC and not Retin A). For the dryness, I would try a barrier repair product (there is a thread on the different ones out there, but Cerave is sold in the drugstores and derms recommend this a lot). Welcome to EDS!
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I second rileygirl's recommendations. Vitamin A at night and sunscreen during the day are the most important things. Antioxidants and a barrier repair product during the day could help to plump up the wrinkles and make them less noticable. An oil serum that contains rosehip oil could help with the wrinkles too. I think it's important that you recognize that you need to drink more water but also want to suggest that diet plays an important role in how skin looks. Just as you put antioxidants on your skin it's important to get them in your diet. Eating lots of fruits and vegetables does wonders for the skin and helps you feel better. When you feel good you look good.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

Sunscreen during the day. I personally do not believe C will improve wrinkles. It is a good antiantioxidant, and can be used in the morning for added sun protection under your sunscreen.

I thought I read on here somewhere that if you used Vitamin C serums during the day, they'd be deactivated or something by the sun, so only wear them at night. Confused
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Sunscreen during the day. I personally do not believe C will improve wrinkles. It is a good antiantioxidant, and can be used in the morning for added sun protection under your sunscreen.

I thought I read on here somewhere that if you used Vitamin C serums during the day, they'd be deactivated or something by the sun, so only wear them at night. Confused

I think it is a matter of opinion, to be honest with you. I personally think that that could definitely be true. I prefer to use my C at night with Retin A (as I am all about the collagen production and don't care about added sun protection). However, Skinceuticals did a study on their C, E, Ferulic and it is proven to help ones sunscreen work "better" for lack of better word here, and provide better sun protection than just sunscreen alone.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I also think most is absorbed rather quickly where it is utilized and if it's under a sunscreen or high SPF moisturizer the C is protected from the sun along with your skin. To be totally honest if as "they" say it remains in your skin for 72 hours after application unless you are a bat it's going to be exposed to some sun! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

To be totally honest if as "they" say it remains in your skin for 72 hours after application unless you are a bat it's going to be exposed to some sun! Laughing

The really great thing about vitamin C (and a few other antioxidants) is that once they penetrate and cross the cell membrane, they become even more powerful free radical scavengers and neutralizers.

It's not really going to be "exposed to some sun" at this point, but will do what it's meant to do by squelching the free radicals that UV rays produce, at the cellular level where they reek havoc on our collagen + elastin foundation.

If other antioxidants are part of the *team*, you will enjoy a win-win situation for sure, because they will regenerate each other time and again. (Once an antioxidant *kills* a free radical it is spent (useless). Other antioxidants (like vit E, FA + ALA) have the power to regenerate each other.)

It's true also (according to the many studies I've read) that vitamin C (L-AA) does indeed reside at the cellular level for up to 72 hours.

I love vitamin C serum, and whenever I use it during the day, I try to give it some time to absorb before I expose myself to the UV rays.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
MrsTi,

You might find this thread helpful 55 and over skin care issues.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22881&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 am      Reply with quote
A big thank you to all who have replied to my question. I can see that I am way behind in my skin care knowledge!

From what I'm reading, my regiment needs adjusting. I gathered from the comments that basically the night time regiment is important.
Using sunscreen during the day but what about the eye area? This is confusing to me since I'm so used to applying an eye cream during the day and using a foundation with sunscreen.

What is a good daytime regiment for the eye area? Is it a specific eye cream or do I just use a moisturizer for the eyes?

I haven't read the link yet but will do so soon.
Perhaps that will advance my understanding.

Maybe it would help if someone over 50 would share their day and night regiment.

By the way, what is an OTC retinol? Is that something like ROC? I've tried that and hated it.
I use Jan Marini Age Intervention face cream and eye cream. They absorb well into the skin and help with moisturizing but that's all I use besides an OBAGI sunscreen in the summer and a foundation with SPF15.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:25 am      Reply with quote
MrsTi wrote:

By the way, what is an OTC retinol? Is that something like ROC? I've tried that and hated it.
I use Jan Marini Age Intervention face cream and eye cream. They absorb well into the skin and help with moisturizing but that's all I use besides an OBAGI sunscreen in the summer and a foundation with SPF15.

It is something like ROC, but there are many others. I think it would benefit you to read the information on smartskincare.com. That will help a lot regarding ingredients, etc.

You are using good products. I would say just add a retinol and/or Retin A at night and keep using what you are using. You should be using sunscreen in the winter, as well, though especially if you start on Retin A.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |