Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Want to buy the Acne Lightstim. Has anyone on here tried it?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Olivia23
5% products discount

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
I've seen several reviews for the Anti Aging Lightstim (which I have bought and love), but I am now looking at buying the Acne one. I am really hesitant though since there are not a lot of reviews on it. I hate to spend a lot of money for something that does not work.

I've also been reading about the acne one, and from what I have read, if I buy that one, do I not need to use my anti aging one anymore? The reason I ask is someone on here said it has blue and red lights on it, and the red lights are for healing. Also does anyone else have any other recommendations besides that one? I know there is the Blue Quasar, but that one is too expensive for me. I read somewhere about some kind of acne device (not any creams) that you can hold to your face and it would clear it up, but I cannot remember what it was called!
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:22 am      Reply with quote
I own both units and am happy with the results from both. Clears up acne like a dream. My older teenage son had terrible acne and because of his eczema prone skin could not use topical treatments. His acne cleared up in a matter of weeks. For myself, I am in my mid-50s and it cleared up my acne as well. Money very well spent. You will still need both units as the configuration of the LED lights are very different.
Olivia23
5% products discount

Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your reply. That has decided it for me. I am going to buy it! I will post a review in case anyone else wants to know.
xandria
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia23 wrote:
I've seen several reviews for the Anti Aging Lightstim (which I have bought and love), but I am now looking at buying the Acne one. I am really hesitant though since there are not a lot of reviews on it. I hate to spend a lot of money for something that does not work.

I've also been reading about the acne one, and from what I have read, if I buy that one, do I not need to use my anti aging one anymore? The reason I ask is someone on here said it has blue and red lights on it, and the red lights are for healing. Also does anyone else have any other recommendations besides that one? I know there is the Blue Quasar, but that one is too expensive for me. I read somewhere about some kind of acne device (not any creams) that you can hold to your face and it would clear it up, but I cannot remember what it was called!

Hi Olivia23, If you are looking for a less pricey option you may want to look into doing research on a device called D'arsonval. This is a high frequency device you can find on ebay at a reasonable price. There's also a thread running on this site regarding this topic.

I find that this is helping my son with his acne. I myself use a gel peel from skin laboratory dot com called Salicylic Acid 20% Peel. You can check on their website on reviews from other people on how well this has worked from them. HTH Happy Holidays!
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I also have the blue lightstim. It definitely helps (along with topical acne products). The down side is that it is time consuming to use.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Is it required to do extra care before/after using this device?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Is it required to do extra care before/after using this device?

No special requirements, just use on clean skin like with the other LED's.
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I saw the acne one on ebay UK recently, for a much-discounted price. Seems to be more Lightstims appearing now and then. Definitely not as ubiquitous as Tua Visos though Smile

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
Are there any side effects to this? I wonder why this isn't so readily available to people if it supposedly works so well
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Are there any side effects to this? I wonder why this isn't so readily available to people if it supposedly works so well

I haven't had any bad side effects.

What do you mean by not readily available? That its not in lots of stores? Blue light does work to kill bacteria. I imagine this or any blue LED is not more popular because it is time consuming to use an acne light.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I mean like.. why aren't there more people using this technique/device if it's so potent? As in, why hasn't it been better advertised?
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Blue light devices are talked about at length all over the acne forums, so I'd assume people do know about it.

I was going to bid on the acne Lightstim for my niece, but I thought, is a 12 year-old going to use it for up to an hour at a time? And I think that's a major reason, as GirlieGirl says.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Oh wow you have to use it for an hour at a time? Probably should have done my research beforehand Embarassed cause that is definitely a valid reason as to why not many people use it
logger710

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I use the Acetino Professional LED device and I find it wonderful and a bargain at the price.
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Oh wow you have to use it for an hour at a time? Probably should have done my research beforehand Embarassed cause that is definitely a valid reason as to why not many people use it
Well, it's 3 minutes per area. My AALS takes around an hour and ten minutes to do neck, full face and hands. It would depend how bad your acne was Smile

To be honest, even if it was just cheeks upper and lower, I can't see her using it for even 15 minutes..all the repositioning! A panel would probably be better for a younger user (though no idea which acne ones are any good).

GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Actually the acne light is 5 minutes per area.
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, I assumed they were all the same! Embarassed

GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
I would have thought the same thing if I didn't have one. I guess it takes more time to kill the bacteria Question
igobymargaret

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
About a year and a half ago I stumbled upon light therapy somehow on the internet. I devoted a lot of time to reading about it and ended up buying this cheap $40-something handheld device on eBay, the ones with the black rings on them. They're probably mass produced who knows where, China perhaps, but my point is is that compared to a Baby Quasar or a Tanda or all these other fancy things, it was CHEAP. I'm high maintenance, but I bought this inexpensive device (420 nm) for two reasons:

1. At the end of the day, these things are pretty basic: LED lights. For acne specifically, you just need blue LED lights with a wavelength frequency between 405-420 nm. The technology itself isn't so outrageous, right? So why the exorbitant prices? It’s the fairly new revelation of what it does that's outrageous, and that's obv what allows manufacturers to set the price so high for savvy, ahead-of-the-curve consumers like us who provide sufficient demand. (I don't expect a quality product like the Baby Quasar to cost as little as the eBay light I mentioned, but still the discrepancy in price cannot be justified IMO, but that's business & I digress)
2. I read several places that blue light therapy is beneficial for almost everyone, but about 10-15% people don't see results. These are obviously promising odds. Instead of explaining to my parents why I needed them to fork over several hundred more toward my never-ending war on acne (only the Baby Quasar and Tanda, etc., seemed to have solid return policies), I just excitedly ordered that $40 device thinking well, as far as I can tell, the technology's essentially the same, and if blue light doesn’t work for me, I'm out $40.

It came in, and I used it for 15 mins. a day religiously, moving it around my face. It could switch to red lights and sometimes I used those when I finished with the blue. (Afterward, I used a diluted tea tree oil and water as toner, then CeraVe moisturizer. I use those products in the morning and night.)

For a solid 7 months I had the best skin of my life since hitting puberty. I just remember looking into the mirror and not believing it. My parents commented on it all the time. No more unpredictability about how my skin would look for an event the coming weekend or in coming weeks. Very rarely did I get half a blemish before my periods. I thought, "So this is what this feels like, having good skin!" I'd even look at people with acne and think "If only I could pull them aside and tell them about this light I use at night! If only they knew what I knew! The odds are on their side!"

I even started taking my skin a little bit for granted. End of spring semester came and I became lax with my use of the light. I was sick with a terrible sinus infection, and my miraculous cheap apparatus was malfunctioning. It'd beep 3, 4 minutes before 15 mins were up (among other quirky things). At that point I was using it about 3 times a week, tolerating its defects. Continued irregular use characterized my summer.

Fall came, I went to study in Spain, and my suitcase with the (still functioning) light got stolen and I really missed that sucker. My skin reverted to its old ways in no time.

I ordered an identical device from eBay when I got home. After about 10 uses I was seeing good results again, THANK GOD! And then the stupid thing quit completely. The eBay seller didn’t care.

I knew I had to invest in a fancy shmancy (price inflated in almost every case, IMO) acne light, or I'd be throwing money down the drain on those cheap, defective ones from eBay for the rest of my life. So I bought the Lightstim Acne Light. It wasn’t as expensive as the Baby Quasar, and it looked innovative and promising. I also liked that it has some infrared lights for building collagen. (I’m only 21, but a semester abroad shows, I promise.)

During the first two weeks with the Lightstim Acne Light my skin looked sort of tired and dry and was also red, perhaps from adjusting to the infrared lights, but the acne was a little bit at bay. Still, it was nothing like the quick results I saw from the cheap gadget. After four weeks my skin was sort of less tired looking, and the redness was subsiding a little. I could tell by week 5 that the infrared was doing good things. But the acne remained a factor without a doubt, and my previous experience showed that five weeks with light therapy was plenty of time to turn my skin around. The Lightstim wasn’t really helping. I'd get to thinking, "Okay, maybe it really is working," and then "This thing's way too expensive for the results to pale in comparison to those of my cheap trick from eBay."

So now I'm returning it. I want the same results as before – especially if I’m going to spend so much $!

I may be wrong, but I’ll tell you why I don’t think it worked.

When I was looking for a top of the line light device, I meant to make sure that whatever I purchased had blue lights between the requisite 405-420 nm spectrum. I got carried away with the Lightstim and didn’t confirm the specifications.

So what are the wavelength specs for the Lightstim Acne Light? Well, here’s what the website says:

“There are a total of 72 high-grade, high-output individual lights encompassing 3 varying wavelengths between 450nm and 850nm.”

(I had a really nice screenshot of the website for you, but as a new member I am apparently not qualified to link to it.)

So if you ask me, it’s not difficult to see the problem. Not the right wavelengths.

Then, I saw on this board where someone included their email correspondence with Steve of LightStim about wavelength particulars. He basically said that they’re like 460 or something. I’d include the exact correspondence here but I’ve since lost the thread and going through the threads on here is EXHAUSTING. But it confirmed that it’s not the wavelength that’s supposed to kill acne, the wavelength that I originally used that killed my acne, you follow?

IN CONCLUSION:

I’m not going to bash the Lightstim, instead I’m going to ask that people actively seek out a product that delivers wavelengths between 405-420 nm. That’s a proper introduction to blue light therapy and the only real way to tell if it’s effective for you.

(Even if the Lightstim people came back and said that their’s does in fact include those wavelengths, it doesn’t have enough of those wavelengths.)

That being said, I would love to try the Anti Aging LightStim. It looks like a great product, and I did come to like the infrared aspect of the Acne Light.

I do think blue light therapy works for a lot of people, as the research shows, and with the right light wavelengths, it worked for me. The Baby Quasar, for example, is supposed to be 415 nm, and I've got a feeling that's what I'll be trying unless someone can point me in a cheaper and equally reliable direction.
Jimm
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
I also wondered why the Lightstim Acne Light isn’t designed with 415-420 nm LEDs but it seems to work very well for a lot of people. This company is quite knowledgeable so I'm pretty sure there must be a good reason behind their decision not to include this particular wavelength.

I recently came across an LED device that is quite affordable so if you are looking for a cheaper option this one might be interesting. I don’t know how it compares to the BQ Blue but it has 415 nm blue LEDs and a larger head.
I will post a link on the ‘how do I decide on a LED device’ thread.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:30 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |