Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
PPD ....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I am of dark skin so i need a truly clear sunscreen as im using retin-a and hydrouinone

I found http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/skincare/sun-care/solar-expertise/milk-spray-mist-spf-50.aspx its clear and i love the texture however i wanted to know the PPD of this how can i find out?

Thanks Very Happy
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
What does ppd stand for?
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
http://sun1.awardspace.com/Sunscreens/Standards/Standards.htm
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Oh I see. Sun Protection Factor or spf for short. I don't go higher than spf 15 myself although some people use spf 30. There some good information here that may help you.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/spf-sunscreen-ratings.aspx
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:42 am      Reply with quote
londongirl wrote:
I am of dark skin so i need a truly clear sunscreen as im using retin-a and hydrouinone

I found http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/skincare/sun-care/solar-expertise/milk-spray-mist-spf-50.aspx its clear and i love the texture however i wanted to know the PPD of this how can i find out?

Thanks Very Happy

If you know the percentage actives, try this:

http://www.sunscreensimulator.basf.com/Sunscreen_Simulator/Login_show.action
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:37 am      Reply with quote
bump....

i dont know the percents Confused
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:14 am      Reply with quote
If it has an SPF of 50 it should be absolutely fine - why do you need to know the PPD?

Another completely clear sunscreen that allot of people like is the Devita Natural Skin Care Body Block 30.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 am      Reply with quote
I think the PPD measures the UVA rays which are the ones that cause the most aging to the skin and the SPF measures more the UVB rays which cause burning. ( it may be the other way around) Makeup Alley website skin care board talks a lot about the PPD and there are some very knowledgeable posters like Haruka. My impression is that the highest PPD sunscreens are the ones from many Asian countries and Europe as they contain the most UVA blocking ingredients. And we should all be mindful of the PPD ratings especially when using certain skin care actives like lightening products. HTH Harriet
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:45 am      Reply with quote
http://sun1.awardspace.com/Sunscreens/Standards/Standards.htm

Persistant Pigment Darkening (PPD, UVA-PF)

The Persistent Pigment Darkening (PPD) method is a method of measuring UVA protection, similar to the SPF method of measuring UVB light protection. Theoretically, a sunscreen with a PPD rating of 10 should allow you to endure 10 times as much UVA as you would without protection. People are irradiated with a UV-A light source (320 to 400 nm). Two or three hours after irradiation with UVA, the skin has changed yielding a persistent pigment darkening. The advantage of the persistent pigment darkening is that the residual colour that has developed after exposure to the radiation allows a more precise reading to be taken. They compare the sunscreen protected (MPDp) skin and the unprotected (MPDu) skin to determine the results. The results were expressed as UVA-protection factors UVA-PF. [Tinosorb] [Nora80] [Ciba]

The PPD response is stable and reproducible; however its clinical significance is questionable, because the action spectrum for PPD is not defined for wavelengths shorter than 320 nm, and the response is masked during outdoor sun exposure by other skin responses to UV. Thus it is impossible to relate the PPD protection factor directly to the degree of protection is sunlight. [Stanfield]
londongirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
If it has an SPF of 50 it should be absolutely fine - why do you need to know the PPD?

Another completely clear sunscreen that allot of people like is the Devita Natural Skin Care Body Block 30.

i want to know the PPD as im using skin lightening products

i have seen some SPF with 50 but a PPD of 5 Neutral

Thanks for the sunscreen recommendation
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
londongirl wrote:
i want to know the PPD as im using skin lightening products

i have seen some SPF with 50 but a PPD of 5 Neutral

Thanks for the sunscreen recommendation

I thought that different countries just use different scales - but you ended up with the same result. But I admit to being very confused by all of this.

All I know is that Australia is the skin cancer capital of the world. Therefore, we are the most sunscreen conscious society in the world - we get it drilled into us constantly. Australia uses the SPF model and I would be surprised if it wasn't accurate and safe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe this site would be of interest to you:

http://allaboutskinlightening.blogspot.com/2009/06/calculate-ppd-rating-of-your-sunscreen.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for bringing this up LondonGirl. I've got dark skin and the same requirements as you, so I may try your sunscreen as well as the Devita.
And I'll be adding PPD to my evergrowing list of ss concerns. urgh.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Devita is by far the clearest high zinc oxide sunscreen I've ever tried. No other physical sunscreen even comes close in that respect.

You could also consider mixing your sunscreen with a foundation darker than your skin tone.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:32 am      Reply with quote
On the first post there is a chart showing the UVA/UVB protection of various sunscreen ingredients. Both SPF and PPD can cover both, for physical sunscreens the greatest protection comes with a combination of ZO and TD.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=37359&start=0

Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:32 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |