Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Yet another question about Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
StrawberryShortcake
5% products discount

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:53 am      Reply with quote
So, I've read numerous posts about the side effects of Retin-A: the stinging, peeling, and redness, but none of that is happening to me, and I've used it twice already. Am I doing something wrong? By the way, the gel is very messy, and slides down my fingers when I squeeze my amount out. It's a cream-color, but there's a lot of colorless gel that comes out too. I hope it didn't separate or anything. Though, I have noticed a slight initial stinging when dotting my cheeks with it.
priusgal
5% products discount

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:16 am      Reply with quote
What strength is it and what kind of skin do you have? You've only used it 2 nights so you may need to use it longer for it take effect. Not everyone reacts the same to Retin A.
StrawberryShortcake
5% products discount

Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:59 am      Reply with quote
It is 0.025. I do not know my skin type. I figured it was oily, but it might be dry. Not sure.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:30 am      Reply with quote
StrawberryShortcake wrote:
So, I've read numerous posts about the side effects of Retin-A: the stinging, peeling, and redness, but none of that is happening to me, and I've used it twice already.

Twice is not long enough for anything. You haven't used it long enough to get any reaction from it. Usually it takes a few weeks to "kick in". Also, not everyone has that reaction to Retin A, especially at the 0.025%.

Your product doesn't sound right though. Is it a cream or a gel that you have? It sounds like it might not be good.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Just because your not getting those results doesn't mean its not working. Many people read of those things and then mistakeningly believe that if they don't have those sensations/results that its not doing its stuff. Its not true. The peeling/redness etc happens at different stages and times for different people depending on where they are starting from, how much damage they have in place etc. I used the cream for the first few years without any bad results whatsoever. I then made the mistake of asking my derm to increase the strength, and he disagreed, but gave me the same strength in a gel formulae. Wow did I get a rude awakening. Ever since then I've always told people just because they are not getting those results to realise it is doing its job. You might not get those results straight away, it might be 6 months down the line, but as someone has already suggested to you, 2x a week isn't enough yet for your skin to start showing those kind of results, and you should always go slowly with Retin A.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
I feel bad posting the same thing in 2 threads, but they're discussions about the same thing! And I'm not understanding.
TheresaMary, do you mean that the gel gave you irritation but was delivering the exact same positives? So you're saying that peeling is not what we're after, and that staying on the same strength with no side effects will do just as much good as moving up to different strengths?
I guess I shouldn't have bought 3 different strengths from adc then!
Why do people move up then? Why are there stronger formulations?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
StrawberryShortcake
5% products discount

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

Your product doesn't sound right though. Is it a cream or a gel that you have? It sounds like it might not be good.

It's the gel. I ordered it from alldaychemist. What is it supposed to look like?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

It's the gel. I ordered it from alldaychemist. What is it supposed to look like?

It should look just like a gel. No mikly/creamy stuff at all, but just a clear gel. I am not sure what base the ADC gel is in, but it does sound like it separated. You could try to shake the tube and see if that mixes it back together.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:51 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:

There have been studies more recently that prove you get the same benefits with the 0.025% as you do with the 0.1% without many of the side effects. Most people move up because they think that stronger is better. This used to common thinking before that particular study came out.
StrawberryShortcake
5% products discount

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

It should look just like a gel. No mikly/creamy stuff at all, but just a clear gel. I am not sure what base the ADC gel is in, but it does sound like it separated. You could try to shake the tube and see if that mixes it back together.

Oh, I had no idea. Hopefully it will still work. My mother's looked the same as mine. I'll try shaking it up. Thanks, again.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
LoriA wrote:

There have been studies more recently that prove you get the same benefits with the 0.025% as you do with the 0.1% without many of the side effects. Most people move up because they think that stronger is better. This used to common thinking before that particular study came out.

I will count my blessings if I have little or no irritation or peeling with the lowest strength. I know it's a long term commitment to see positives.

I thought I had read on here someplace that the higher percentages were also used mainly for acne now and not really needed for anti-aging?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have the gel from adc and that doesn't sound right. Mine is a consistent cream color and stays in one form as I squeeze it out. The cream I have is more white-colored, and equally as consistent in color and texture. There could be no shaking it up, because its in a tube?
I'd let adc know and see what they have to say.

And thank you for answering my questions. I also found this old thread which was helpful, and might have been what you're referring to, Dark Moon:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=36350

I'd just like to add that I got the gel thinking it'd be best for my normal/oily skin, but the cream seems gentler (& smells less) and has had no negative effects on my skin. Its certainly not the thicker/oilier concoction I was expecting, and I can even wear makeup over it with no extra shine etc.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Lori,

That's interesting, I know there was a more recent thread about the same issue and I think a more recent study, although I wouldn't swear to it!
I have very tolerant skin but still plan on the lowest strength cream and I guess it's we shall see from there. Part of the fun we endure with skin care, finding what works for us! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Just because your not getting those results doesn't mean its not working. Many people read of those things and then mistakeningly believe that if they don't have those sensations/results that its not doing its stuff. Its not true. The peeling/redness etc happens at different stages and times for different people depending on where they are starting from, how much damage they have in place etc. I used the cream for the first few years without any bad results whatsoever. I then made the mistake of asking my derm to increase the strength, and he disagreed, but gave me the same strength in a gel formulae. Wow did I get a rude awakening. Ever since then I've always told people just because they are not getting those results to realise it is doing its job. You might not get those results straight away, it might be 6 months down the line, but as someone has already suggested to you, 2x a week isn't enough yet for your skin to start showing those kind of results, and you should always go slowly with Retin A.

I agree. I didn't notice a difference. It stung and I made sure I applied lightly. I did go through different stages and it didn't happen all in one year. This medication really help save my skin and more important then that, I cut off using foundation.
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:27 am      Reply with quote
i can't seem to find a single place that ships to canada! does anyone know one that does? i would really like to try retin a.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:41 am      Reply with quote
alexes wrote:
i can't seem to find a single place that ships to canada! does anyone know one that does? i would really like to try retin a.

This should help
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=37914

Smile
alexes
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:01 am      Reply with quote
circus - you rock. thanks!
keli13
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
LoriA wrote:

I will count my blessings if I have little or no irritation or peeling with the lowest strength. I know it's a long term commitment to see positives.

I thought I had read on here someplace that the higher percentages were also used mainly for acne now and not really needed for anti-aging?

This is very true. You do not need the higher strengths for anti-aging purposes. But some people do need higher strengths because their skin is more resistant than others.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:52 am      Reply with quote
I really miss MedsMex. The last time I ordered from them was in February. When I went back to order recently I discovered that the same people no longer ran the website. The shipping was $39.95. I emailed them and they didn't respond. It's a bad sign when there is no phone# to contact them, only an email address. I guess I will not be able to order anything from them anymore. Can someone please suggest an alternative website to order from? I have tried 4 corners and united pharmacies. Neither of them have a 0.025% cream or they are no longer carrying it. I do not want to move up in strength. They only have 0.05% in the cream. It is really expensive on the 4 corners website. I have noticed that the Janssen-Cilag brand seems to be out of stock on most of the websites I have visited. Maybe there is a manufacturing shortage. I have scoured the internet and cannot find another source. I prefer to buy a branded cream from Janssen-Cilag or a similar company. Sorry if this is off topic. Please, can anyone help? Thank you.
packratmack
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:20 am      Reply with quote
I just did more searching and have come to the conclusion that I will have to buy a generic 0.025% cream. Any suggestions where I can buy it other than ADC? I would appreciate it. Thank you.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Yes the gel iritated my skin big time, and I'm sure it delivered the same benefits as the cream, just I have very dry sensitive skin, and so my derm originally had me using just the cream. It was only after I was trying to move up in strength that he suggested the gel (and probably knew the results I would get so was teaching me a lesson).

I've actually moved on to recent years using the micro. Which I have to say I was completely against at the start and it took him lots of sessions of persuading me to give it a try but I do love it. Its time released, so you don't get the full 0.1% full strength blast all at once, it kind of releases it like a sprinkler throughout the night!
LoriA wrote:
I feel bad posting the same thing in 2 threads, but they're discussions about the same thing! And I'm not understanding.
TheresaMary, do you mean that the gel gave you irritation but was delivering the exact same positives? So you're saying that peeling is not what we're after, and that staying on the same strength with no side effects will do just as much good as moving up to different strengths?
I guess I shouldn't have bought 3 different strengths from adc then!
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:31 pm      Reply with quote
I used to order everything from MedMex as well. I would not order from them ever again. The pharmacy reviewer websites say that they have been ripping off peoples money and not providing any product. I just ordered some retin a from ADC for the very first time. I ordered the .05 cream made by johnson and johnson. It is a very nice formulation and very inexpensive. I also ordered one tube of the gel but some of you have me scared to use it. I am assuming it is alcohol based if it stings badly. ADC was very easy to order from and i had my product here in 2 weeks. Greg
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
grhawk wrote:
I used to order everything from MedMex as well. I would not order from them ever again. The pharmacy reviewer websites say that they have been ripping off peoples money and not providing any product. I just ordered some retin a from ADC for the very first time. I ordered the .05 cream made by johnson and johnson. It is a very nice formulation and very inexpensive. I also ordered one tube of the gel but some of you have me scared to use it. I am assuming it is alcohol based if it stings badly. ADC was very easy to order from and i had my product here in 2 weeks. Greg

I believe there's a thread somewhere about all the recent problems with them, many people did not get the orders they paid for.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:33 pm      Reply with quote
i bought a cream buy neostrata called Neostrata Intense wrinkle repair. it has retinol in it, as well as some moisturizers. but every time i use it(at night)i wake up with fine lines that look worse! is this just the drying effect of retinol? when i don't use it, my fine lines start to look a bit better, but if i keep using it, they look worse and worse every morning.
what's up with that?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
alexes wrote:
i bought a cream buy neostrata called Neostrata Intense wrinkle repair. it has retinol in it, as well as some moisturizers. but every time i use it(at night)i wake up with fine lines that look worse! is this just the drying effect of retinol? when i don't use it, my fine lines start to look a bit better, but if i keep using it, they look worse and worse every morning.
what's up with that?

It is probably that it is drying and your skin has not gotten adjusted to it. Though, you may also be sensitive to the retinol and/or an ingredient in that product.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |