Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vitaman C percentages, you that have sensitive skin.....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Found this very interesting especially for those with sensitive skin!

Topical ascorbic acid on photoaged skin. Clinical, topographical and ultrastructural evaluation: double-blind study vs. placebo.
Humbert PG, Haftek M, Creidi P, Lapière C, Nusgens B, Richard A, Schmitt D, Rougier A, Zahouani H.

Department of Dermatology, Hospital Saint Jacques, University of Franche-Comté, Besançon, France.
Abstract
Vitamin C is known for its antioxidant potential and activity in the collagen biosynthetic pathway. Photoprotective properties of topically applied vitamin C have also been demonstrated, placing this molecule as a potential candidate for use in the prevention and treatment of skin ageing. A topically applied cream containing 5% vitamin C and its excipient were tested on healthy female volunteers presenting with photoaged skin on their low-neck and arms in view to evaluate efficacy and safety of such treatment. A double-blind, randomized trial was performed over a 6-month period, comparing the action of the vitamin C cream vs. excipient on photoaged skin. Clinical assessments included evaluation at the beginning and after 3 and 6 months of daily treatment. They were performed by the investigator and compared with the volunteer self assessment. Skin relief parameters were determined on silicone rubber replicas performed at the same time-points. Cutaneous biopsies were obtained at the end of the trial and investigated using immunohistochemistry and electron microscopy. Clinical examination by a dermatologist as well as self-assessment by the volunteers disclosed a significant improvement, in terms of the 'global score', on the vitamin C-treated side compared with the control. A highly significant increase in the density of skin microrelief and a decrease of the deep furrows were demonstrated. Ultrastructural evidence of the elastic tissue repair was also obtained and well corroborated the favorable results of the clinical and skin surface examinations. Topical application of 5% vitamin C cream was an effective and well-tolerated treatment. It led to a clinically apparent improvement of the photodamaged skin and induced modifications of skin relief and ultrastructure, suggesting a positive influence of topical vitamin C on parameters characteristic for sun-induced skin ageing.

Topical ascorbic acid on photoaged skin. Clinical,... [Exp Dermatol. 2003] - PubMed

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Philippe G. Humbert (1), Marek Haftek (2), Pierre Creidi (1), Charles Lapière (3), Betty Nusgens (3), Alain Richard (4), Daniel Schmitt (2), André Rougier (4), Hassan Zahouani (5)

Author Information:

1 Department of Dermatology, Hospital Saint Jacques, University of Franche-Comté, Besançon, France.
2 INSERM U.346/CNRS, ‘Peau humaine et Immunité’, E. Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France.
3 Laboratory of Connective Tissues Biology, Tour de Pathology, University of Liège, Sart Tilman, Belgium.
4 La Roche Posay Pharmaceutical Laboratories, Asnières, France.
5 The Laboratoire de Tribologie et Dynamique des Systèmes, UMR CNRS 5513, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, Ecully, France.

La Roche Posay does make Vitamin C products containing 5% ascorbic acid.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Lacy, As we see quite often the majority of studies that are done on most skin care products are paid for by companies that are selling a product containing that ingredient???

It's worth a shot for those that DIY to try a lower percentage if they already have the ingredients, who knows maybe it will work and be tolerable?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
This is great info, thanks DM.

I could not tolerate LAA at even 10%. No burning or dryness.. but over time I figured out that LAA was the culprit that made my skin chronically red.

I'll might just give it a try at 5% and see if it works better. I want it to work Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
erg wrote:
This is great info, thanks DM.

I could not tolerate LAA at even 10%. No burning or dryness.. but over time I figured out that LAA was the culprit that made my skin chronically red.

I'll might just give it a try at 5% and see if it works better. I want it to work Smile

Good luck erg,
I know you aren't alone having problems with the higher percentages. At least they tested on real people and not hairless mice. Laughing
I hope it works for you and others. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:17 am      Reply with quote
I can't seem to go past 10% after all these years.
I have the Neostrata 10% vitamin C and can only use that 2 or 3 times a week at most..and not even every week, and still find my skin is not used to it.

I bought the Neostrata 20% a while ago when it was on sale and that is way too strong and can only use that once a week.
-the product, luckily is in a airless pump...but has been sitting there for a couple months not being used..maybe I'll try it on my elbows?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
Philippe G. Humbert (1), Marek Haftek (2), Pierre Creidi (1), Charles Lapière (3), Betty Nusgens (3), Alain Richard (4), Daniel Schmitt (2), André Rougier (4), Hassan Zahouani (5)

Author Information:

1 Department of Dermatology, Hospital Saint Jacques, University of Franche-Comté, Besançon, France.
2 INSERM U.346/CNRS, ‘Peau humaine et Immunité’, E. Herriot Hospital, Lyon, France.
3 Laboratory of Connective Tissues
Biology, Tour de Pathology, University of Liège, Sart Tilman, Belgium.
5 The Laboratoire de Tribologie et
Dynamique des Systèmes, UMR CNRS 5513, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, Ecully, France.

La Roche Posay does make Vitamin C products
containing 5% ascorbic acid.

Sorry Lacy,

I meant to say thank you for posting the authors ect. I wouldn't want any copyright issues! The darn iPhone, I thought I had copied everything, but I guess I managed to exclude that information. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Before using Retin-A, I could apply 15% Vit C serum on my skin every morning; sometimes up to twice a day.

When I started the regime of Retin-A one & half year ago, I had to stop the seum as it burned my skin like no tomorrow and my face turned as red as chilly.

Now, I could still feel tingling and a bit burning sensation even I drop it to 10%.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:27 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Before using Retin-A, I could apply 15% Vit C serum on my skin every morning; sometimes up to twice a day.

When I started the regime of Retin-A one & half year ago, I had to stop the seum as it burned my skin like no tomorrow and my face turned as red as chilly.

Now, I could still feel tingling and a bit burning sensation even I drop it to 10%.

Summer,

I don't think this will work for everyone, but they are using 5% with results in the study which is half the strength of what the lowest percentage you were using? That could possibly make a huge difference.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Lacy53 wrote:

Author Information:

3 Laboratory of Connective Tissues
Biology, Tour de Pathology, University of Liège, Sart Tilman, Belgium.
5 The Laboratoire de Tribologie et
Dynamique des Systèmes, UMR CNRS 5513, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, Ecully, France.

La Roche Posay does make Vitamin C products
containing 5% ascorbic acid.

Sorry Lacy,

I meant to say thank you for posting the authors ect. I wouldn't want any copyright issues! The darn iPhone, I thought I had copied everything, but I guess I managed to exclude that information. Smile

Actually you did copy everything DarkMoon, assuming you found the article at PubMed; your phone is working just fine. I just happened to recognize the study as La Roche Posay's, so I searched elsewhere for author information. I also found this study for anyone interested in 5% L-AA (also done by LRP):

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v116/n6/full/5601085a.html

That study actually addresses the question you asked elsewhere ... why only 60% of people seem to respond to topical application of L-AA. The authors state It is worth noting that the testers that have the lowest score of dietary vitamin C intake are those in which topically applied vitamin C displayed the most constant stimulation of the steady-state level of mRNA for collagens and their processing enzymes. Further down the article they suggest that:

Nevertheless, our data demonstrate that in postmenopausal women the topical application of vitamin C is able to produce a coordinated increase in the steady-state level of the mRNA for collagen I and III as observed in six testers, and of their post-translational extracellular enzymes, as observed in at least, seven of the 10 testers. We speculated that the nonresponders might already have a concentration of the vitamin in skin great enough for maximal expression of the ascorbate-responsive mRNA.

The subjects in this study applied a "cream" with 5% L-Ascorbic Acid on their upper forearm once a day (at night) for 6 months. The cream had a pH of 6.0 and was silicone based. No other topically applied preparation was permitted.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
From the same link you can find conflicting information. Again I just figured those who cannot tolerate the higher percentages and have the ingredients to DIY it sure can't hurt to see if a 5% solution works for them.

http://www.acnetreatmentlab.com/medicine-product-remedy-solution-cure/topical-ascorbic-acid-vitamin-c.htm

To be effective, topical ascorbic acid must be formulated at an acidic pH which is preferrably pH 3.5 or less. The skin penetration ability of topical ascorbic acid is dependent on its acidity. The more acidic the formulation the better is the skin penetration but skin irritation also increases. The concentration of topical ascorbic acid should be at least 10% to be effective and 20% for optimum skin absorption. A 20% concentration ascorbic acid solution is irritating enough that it may cause temporary redness and moderate stinging sensation. Studies have shown that Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and Ascorbyl Palmitate is not as effective as L-Ascorbic acid solutions. Some manufucturers use these "alternative" forms of topical vitamin-C because they are more stable compared to L-ascorbic acid solutions but their effectiveness is questionable.

Studies have shown that ascorbic acid derivatives such as Magnesium Ascrobyl Phosphate and Ascorbyl Palmitate did not increase the levels of ascorbic acid in the skin.Topical ascorbic acid works better if it is combined with zinc sulfate and L-tyrosine.
( Source: Topical L-ascorbic Acid: Percutaneous Absorption Studies Pinnell SR, Yang H, Omar M, et al Dermatol Surg. 2001;27:137-142)

Application of 5% vitamin C cream resulted in a significant improvement in both fine and coarse wrinkles. Ultrastructural evidence of elastic-tissue repair confirmed the clinical improvement in the vitamin C group. The treatment was well-tolerated.
( Source: Topical vitamin C for photoaged skin,Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, Dec, 2005 by Alan R. Gaby)
"Vitamin C has the potential to enhance the density of dermal papillae, perhaps through the mechanism of angiogenesis. Topical vitamin C may have therapeutical effects for partial corrections of the regressive structural changes associated with the aging process".
( Source: Topically applied vitamin C increases the density of dermal papillae in aged human skin, Kirsten Sauermann, Sören Jaspers, Urte Koop, and Horst Wenck)

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |