Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is it true that after menopause, your skin will go bad......
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:36 am      Reply with quote
........no matter how good your skincare is when you're young?

I'm in my late 20's now and I always take good care of my skin. I heard menopause usually starts around 50 although it can be earlier or later. But I'm wondering, would your skin gradually start to sag and wrinkle up once menopause starts. This is more like internally due to hormones, right? So regardless of external skincare application, it won't really help as much, isn't it?

I might be wrong here but I'm just curious. So ladies, pls do share! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Mine hasn't gone totally down hill and I was an early one, periods stopped at 40. 17 years later and the main sag is just lids to an extent where it bugs me. I have a friend in her mid 70's who was just as young when menopause happened and she has gorgeous wrinkle free skin!
Take care of your skin, but in your early 20's don't worry about this! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have wrinkle-free, dewy, youthful skin and I'm seven years past meno. Look after yourself and your skin and you will have too. (I get up in the morning, slap on sunscreen, have breakfast, shower, and then apply it again.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Not if you stay out of the sun all the time and take care of yourself. I am 56 and never had compliments on my complexion until I was 53 when I started to use good skincare line like Revive.I get compliments now at least once a week.
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
OP- Drink lost of water and eat healthy foods.Use a good moisturizer.Keep out of the sun,Use a sun screen when you are in it.You skin will be fine.

Lucy-Revive sounds great,Which of the products are you using?

lucyluc wrote:
Not if you stay out of the sun all the time and take care of yourself. I am 56 and never had compliments on my complexion until I was 53 when I started to use good skincare line like Revive.I get compliments now at least once a week.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm      Reply with quote
hhm alright then...... I guess I'm worrying about something that's not within control right? LOL

I'll take the advice from you wise ladies. I've been applying moisturizer with SPF 30 in it but perhaps I should apply a real sunscreen with I'm going to be in the sun. Cool
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Where I used to work, the HR got menopause and she really went downhill. Her skin looked like it crumbled and started to take hormone replacement and got IPL facial series. Her skin improved.
It just shows you that you really don't know what will happen.

I do worry myself.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Where I used to work, the HR got menopause and she really went downhill. Her skin looked like it crumbled and started to take hormone replacement and got IPL facial series. Her skin improved.
It just shows you that you really don't know what will happen.

I do worry myself.

Ooh that's scary @@ .... That's wat i'm afraid... When menopause's here, everything goes down.... Losing hair and bad skin. But i guess that's something we all have to go thru....getting old =( and taking hormone replacement might pose a risk for cancer. But anyways....
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
My skin still snaps back in a heartbeat, very few wrinkles, no loss of hair and hair and nails grow like weeds. I haven't had any procedures at all, no hormone replacement! Just about to hit 17 years post menopause and the only thing that changed was no more periods! Not all have horror stories. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:38 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, I sure hope I'm like u when I'm your age.... cuz I heard the stories and it kinda scares me Confused
Katy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
DarkMoon, I sure hope I'm like u when I'm your age.... cuz I heard the stories and it kinda scares me Confused

Skin aging is a must for everyone. But keep taking good care on your skin can "slow down" the aging:)

I believe that DarkMoon did take very good care of her skin since her young age:)
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 am      Reply with quote
I had my last period at age 56 and I have to say, my peri-menopause and menopause has been a bitch, with poor sleep, hot flashes... the whole awful ball of wax. I sometimes wonder if not having had children, in some way upsets the "natural process" and wacks out your system, making for a difficult transition into menopause. Regardless, I do think menopause changes the skin. I am drier everywhere Rolling Eyes and the loss of elasticity is most evident in my neck (ugh...I just looked in the mirror and its worse than I thought!) Anyway, even with a hypervigilent skincare regiment, nature (and your genes) are, to some degree, going to run their course. Unlike Antonia and DarkMoon, I am seeing some of the effects. ((PS I also don't have fabulous genes in the skin dept.))

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Everyone ages differently - however, we will all grow old if we don't get run over by a bus tomorrow!!

But really, enjoy your life, try and look after your health and don't worry about menopause. When you get there, they'll probably have a stem cell treatment for it anyway and you'll be able to stay young forever!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Everyone ages differently - however, we will all grow old if we don't get run over by a bus tomorrow!!

But really, enjoy your life, try and look after your health and don't worry about menopause. When you get there, they'll probably have a stem cell treatment for it anyway and you'll be able to stay young forever!

So true!

I did sunbathe when young, but stopped around 20, I think genetics, taking care of your health in general and good (not necessarily expensive) skin care helps a lot.
I do get those evil chin hairs that I hate having to pluck all the time! Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Keliu wrote:

So true!

I did sunbathe when young, but stopped around 20, I think genetics, taking care of your health in general and good (not necessarily expensive) skin care helps a lot.
I do get those evil chin hairs that I hate having to pluck all the time! Bad Grin

Thank you for reminding me of the one thing I've got going for me: No wild chin hairs!!! Very Happy

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
LOL. MG, That's at least one thing you aren't dealing with. I really wish the big M was a piece of cake for all women, but I know women with or without kids that have symptoms! Mostly I hear the hot flashes, sleeplessness, night sweats and foggy head feeling.
Hopefully those you are dealing with will pass, or there is always the HRT/BHRT route?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
mountaingirl wrote:
Thank you for reminding me of the one thing I've got going for me: No wild chin hairs!!! Very Happy

That's because you shave!! I always remember when I first saw the thread you started asking who shaves their face, when I saw your screen name,I pictured you sitting in a cave somewhere with a cut throat razor performing your ablutions! Anyway, I now just wizz around my face with the old Philishave!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
LOL. MG, That's at least one thing you aren't dealing with. I really wish the big M was a piece of cake for all women, but I know women with or without kids that have symptoms! Mostly I hear the hot flashes, sleeplessness, night sweats and foggy head feeling.
Hopefully those you are dealing with will pass, or there is always the HRT/BHRT route?

I was thinking the same way, because my mother was such a bitch and I think hers started very early...maybe in her early 30's or before that. I don't have children and it would be hard to figure out how mine will be.
Last week, I was getting a couple of hot flashes a day, but this week, it seem to be a lot better. I can't help but wonder if I am pre-menopausal or not?
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:47 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
mountaingirl wrote:

That's because you shave!! !

hehe...I was wondering if anyone was going to point that out! I am still free and clear of any wild hairs sprouting inbetween scrapings! And by the way, I'm not shaving in a cave in these ol' mountains, I'm civilized and use an outhouse. Very Happy .

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Mountaingirl touched on it, but I don't believe that ones skin only goes downhill at menopause. I have noticed a huge change in my skin since I have been perimenopausal. I think genetics is number 1 in how a person is going to age. Good lifestyle choices can help, but they cannot stop aging, just slow it down.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:02 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Mountaingirl touched on it, but I don't believe that ones skin only goes downhill at menopause. I have noticed a huge change in my skin since I have been perimenopausal. I think genetics is number 1 in how a person is going to age. Good lifestyle choices can help, but they cannot stop aging, just slow it down.

I agree and wasn't trying to say I have no signs of aging or look like an 18 year old (I wish)! It's just not the end of life as a woman. I will say I was really lucky even while perimenopausal, my one symptom was less and less frequent cycles and then they just stopped.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Darkmoon, it is nice to hear some good stories about menopause.

It seems now a days all we here is the awful side of it! My mother went into menopause early, hardly had any side effects, and felt much better afterwards! Very Happy
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll wrote:
Darkmoon, it is nice to hear some good stories about menopause.

It seems now a days all we here is the awful side of it! My mother went into menopause early, hardly had any side effects, and felt much better afterwards! Very Happy

I can relate, I actually used to joke that I would throw a party! Laughing I honestly know of quite a few women that had no real issues with menopause, yes we get older but it's not a nightmare for all. I was much witchier when PMS struck. Bad Grin

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
It's a bloody slippery slope all down hill, and a battle royal to keep one step ahead.

One thing I can say for sure is that fatigue, stress + neglect in the healthy diet department, can undo all the good things in one fell swoop.

On the other hand, really taking care of ourselves, and using the beauty aids/tools we all talk about here, can also reverse a multitude of sins, and keep the dreaded aging process at bay..

The rest is in the hands of "the genes" & "the jeans", and I'm thanking my lucky stars and (mama bear) in that arena Very Happy

11 years post menopause for me and I had no physical decline in my body or face until about 5 or 6 years post. (No HRT at all because I couldn't give up the damn cigs..) Embarassed

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Good Lord Kassy,

I have you beat by 6 years and am just a hair over 3 years younger! I never took BC pills except for a short stint 10 months or so. I don't have all the gadgets, but have been really good about skin care and diet ect. It hasn't been too bad thank God! Smile I really did party after the periods stopped! Bad Grin Bad Grin

Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |