Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz)
Appearance & Realization
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've been paying closer attention to my skin than ever before, and really indulging for the first time in admittedly simple essentials, which seem on their way to making a world of difference.

It occurred to me that there have been times in my life where I equated my happiness with the clarity of my skin. I remember one day in my early 20s when I was particularly distraught about some acne & hyper-pigmentation and thinking that if ever my acne cleared up I'd finally be able to live! It was _that_ dramatic a thought. My face did eventually clear up, but I don't know whether I got that joyous, brave feeling I imagined I'd be charged with! I guess it was because it was a back & forth process that happened over time. In any case, now that thought seems a million miles away, and kind of surreal that I was ever in that state.

Anyway, yesterday after picking up some hydroquinone and a sunscreen I'll actually be able to stand using every day it occurred to me that I'm not too far away from an even skin tone, and that with careful attention I may be able to some day achieve *clear* (enough for me, that is) skin. To me that means just being able to comfortably show my face without a cover of powder or foundation. That'd be big for me, having not experienced that since before puberty. I'm amazed that I've come this far.

Reading all these posts from people with serious damage to their skin/features/health (and sometimes to their self-esteem) has made me realize how everyone's standards are different, change from time to time, and impact our lives differently depending on whatever else is going on. I was just wondering whether anyone else had any significant moments they'd be willing to share, when these issues somehow seemed pivotal in their lives and in retrospect seem surprisingly inconsequential.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA,

I realized recently, I think of myself as someone with bad skin.

I had AWFUL eczema growing up and into my mid-twenties.

When I was younger it was mostly, hands, knees and elbows. (so bad that I lost the fingerprints on half my fingers)When I was in my teens it was mostly around my eyes (where you can't really put cortisone cream) and in my scalp.

In my early/mid twenties, it came back with a vengeance around my eyes.

I still have small scars around my eyes from where it would crack and bleed, scab and then crack again.

I remember doing homework and watching skin flakes fall from my eyes whenever I blinked.

This time, there was a magic new cream that uses immuno-suppressants.

However, now I have pretty even skin, a little dry, and it can get red or blotchy, I get the odd zit and have some small blackheads on my nose.

But really, it's not too bad.

I always thought I'd feel better when my skin wasn't falling off in chunks Wink but what I've realized is that I still feel like someone whose skin falls off in chunks.

Very odd, and I'm working on it.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hey pustekuchen, yes, that's exactly the type of thing I was getting at - sometimes I still feel like that someone too!

I was without a computer for a few days, but I'd wanted to come back and rewrite or ask that the thread by removed since it was somewhat rambling and not very clearly written, so I'm happy you understood. We've all seen those unhappy posts where our hearts just break for people.

I'd been inspired by another user's post, where rockhugger wrote "I try to remind myself that beauty is more about an overall impression than the particular condition of my skin. You might feel better if you try to highlight features that haven't been marred by the scars: hair, eyes, poise, voice, humor, and above all, kindness. "
Lovely.

I also liked the words of a former co-worker who was fretting bitterly about frizz one day and finally conceded that "Yes, I'm more than my hair."

There are times we can all use these reminders - especially those of us waiting for our deliveries, peering into the 8x magnification mirror and frantically posting to eds!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Hi, there!

Thanks for quoting me. Smile I have to keep reminding myself of this, as my breakouts continue (although it's getting better, and I hope to see the dermatologist again soon). And it really helps to hear the same reminders from my husband and from you all!

Cheers,
Kay

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:25 am      Reply with quote
I can totally relate to what you're saying. While I've been blessed with good skin, I have done the same thing when it comes to weight. I can't count the number of times that I see a photo of myself when I know I was feeling like a whale and been surprised when I see a photo of myself. I never look as bad as I think I do.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I can totally relate to moods and skin. When my pimples and acne was happening, I never realized how unhappy I was.
As a teen, what boy would want to kiss me when my skin is so bad, and it is do true. I didn't want to kiss someone with bad skin. It's ugly!

Now that my skin is a lot better, my confidence went up. I focus on "now" in life and not think about my skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |