Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Using Masks While On Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VainGlorious

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
Is it okay to use masks while on Retin-A? I am not doing any treatments at the time because I don't know how to fit them in with my routine.

My routine is...

A.M.
Cleanse
Tone
Vitamin C Serum
Eye Cream w/ SPF 15
Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

P.M.
Cleanse
Exfoliate (twice a week)
Tone
Retin-A

I'm just wondering if I can fit a masking routine at night two to three times a week? Do I use Retin-A on the same nights that I use a mask? Thanks!
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Why do you want to use a mask? Seems the only thing missing is a good night time moisturizer there.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! My skin is loving this routine. I can pass the mask if it is not truly necessary.

Is a night time moisturizer necessary? I have heard different things regarding using Retin-A followed by a moisturizer. What is the proper way to moisturize after applying Retin-A? I have read that you should wait an hour and I have also heard that it's not necessary and will dilute it. I can live with the dryness at night, it's not a problem. But, I am starting to think that if I use a night cream after applying Retin-A I will get a boost in radiance. What do you think?

Thanks again!
VainGlorious

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! My skin is loving this routine. I can pass the mask if it is not truly necessary.

Is a night time moisturizer necessary? I have heard different things regarding using Retin-A followed by a moisturizer. What is the proper way to moisturize after applying Retin-A? I have read that you should wait an hour and I have also heard that it's not necessary and will dilute it. I can live with the dryness at night, it's not a problem. But, I am starting to think that if I use a night cream after applying Retin-A I will get a boost in radiance. What do you think?

Thanks again!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:06 am      Reply with quote
VainGlorious wrote:
Is it okay to use masks while on Retin-A? I am not doing any treatments at the time because I don't know how to fit them in with my routine.

My routine is...

A.M.
Cleanse
Tone
Vitamin C Serum
Eye Cream w/ SPF 15
Moisturizer w/ SPF 30

P.M.
Cleanse
Exfoliate (twice a week)
Tone
Retin-A

I'm just wondering if I can fit a masking routine at night two to three times a week? Do I use Retin-A on the same nights that I use a mask? Thanks!

There is no problem using masks while on Retin A. You could still use the Retin A the same night as your mask.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Atiyya wrote:
Why do you want to use a mask? Seems the only thing missing is a good night time moisturizer there.

A lot of people do not use a night moisturizer. Some believe that moisurizers in the evening tend to slow skin metabolism. I don't like to use moisurizers at night because they all make my skin oily in the morning.

VainGlorious, you can apply masks depending on your skin condition. If your skin is dry or sensitive from using Retin A, masks with chemical exfoliating agents, are not recommended.
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
If you are looking for mositurization from a mask that s fine but i am thinking of the drying and peeling effect from Retin a,you dont want to aggravate the skin further.
A really moisturizing mask i have used is CLARINS HydraQuench Cream-Mask,It can be left on all day or night if you skin is too dry if not 5 to 10 mins.Its leaves you skin looking bright and Dewey not oily.You can try any of the creams from the Hydra Quench range if you want a great moisturizer.On the cheaper range of things is Eucerine 5% Urea face cream.

Hydra quench mask ingredients-
"Hyaluronic acid : helps skin maintain its moisture reserves. Katafray bark : restructures the corneal layer, prevents dehydration. Sobier tree bud : boosts microcirculation. Vitamin E : protects skin from free radicals. E3P Anti-Pollution Complex protect"

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
VainGlorious wrote:

Thanks again!

As long as your skin is tolerating using the Retin A without a moisturizer after it I would continue with not using a moisturizer. If your skin is so dry and peeling that you can't stand it I think you should lower your dose of the Retin A but if you're using a low dose then use a moisturizer over it after waiting for at least an hour.
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Agree if you skin is doing fine w/o a moisturizer at night skip it.If its doing fine w/o a mask skip it too.I Try to be minimal as to the number of things i apply to my face when on RA.Moisturization is Key for me.
jom wrote:
VainGlorious wrote:

Thanks again!

As long as your skin is tolerating using the Retin A without a moisturizer after it I would continue with not using a moisturizer. If your skin is so dry and peeling that you can't stand it I think you should lower your dose of the Retin A but if you're using a low dose then use a moisturizer over it after waiting for at least an hour.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
If you really want to use a mask I would only use really gentle and moisturising ones. Clay masks, drying masks and exfoliating masks would be way too harsh for skin being treated my Retin A.

I would do the mask once a week. First clense, tone if you want, then mask, then cleanse and tone. Allow 20 mins for skin to regulate, apply Retin A then wait at least 20 mins before applying moisturiser.

As for moisturiser diluting retin A I think it mainly happens if you apply the moisturiser very shortly after applying the retin a. It is my understanding that is why a waiting time is suggested between the application of the retin a and a moisturiser. If you find your skin is fine with out a mosituriser then by all means skin it. Personally I have found that retin a has made my skin drier so I do use either straight vitamin e, rose hip oil or even grape seed oil. I use the oils at night and an spf during the day.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
I use a pineapple enzyme mask to dissolve some of the flakes & it seems to help.

http://www.drugstore.com/freeman-feeling-beautiful-facial-enzyme-mask-pineapple/qxp189268

I found a good deal on it the other day at Ulta.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |