Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

obagi Help!!! skin got darker:/
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skin_worries

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
i started to use the obagi clear and blender on dec 19th for hyperpigmentation, 1-wk later i noticed i was getting darker with dry spots, no peeling, than i was desparate i ordered a whole system and begin using it until today 1/13. still no peeling....skin just got darker...i realized that i needed to get the retinol cream to make me peel...but, i'm concern that they hydroquione is making me 3 shades darker..all my spots are now darker..and very depressed now..please help....what should i do? did anyone skin got darker ?

thanks.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
skin_worries wrote:
i started to use the obagi clear and blender on dec 19th for hyperpigmentation, 1-wk later i noticed i was getting darker with dry spots, no peeling, than i was desparate i ordered a whole system and begin using it until today 1/13. still no peeling....skin just got darker...i realized that i needed to get the retinol cream to make me peel...but, i'm concern that they hydroquione is making me 3 shades darker..all my spots are now darker..and very depressed now..please help....what should i do? did anyone skin got darker ?

thanks.

What sunscreen are you using with these products?
skin_worries

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
i'm using shiseido spf 55...thank you for responding so quickly..i am in distraught..i hope the darkness will be reversiable...
ezduzit
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
My spots got darker too, when using the Obagi Sad 4 yrs later I still can't fade some of them. When this first happened I told the derms about it and they all didn't believe that Obagi would make me darker. So needles to say I felt like maybe I did something wrong. Why don't you try doing the Obagi every other day, maybe the skin is just irritated.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
skin_worries wrote:
i'm using shiseido spf 55...thank you for responding so quickly..i am in distraught..i hope the darkness will be reversiable...

skin_worries, are you seeing a derm while using Obagi? If not, it sounds like that would be something you should do. I know pigmentation can get darker before it starts lightening, but it sounds like you are having more than the normal darkening? I think I would stop all the products and try to see a derm. If you can't see a derm, I would stop the hydroquinone products and continue on with Retin A and sunscreen for a while to see how your skin does.
skin_worries

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I'm really surprised that my just gotten dark so quickly:(...I am definitely see a dermatologist soon.. I look like a raccoon now Sad...I'm just really scare to continue

Ezduzit: how long did you used obagi before u noticed your spots got darker?

Thank you for the support in this time despair ...
ezduzit
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 pm      Reply with quote
I used it about a total of 6wks. I first noticed it was working then all of a sudden it just looked dark and my dr said keep using it, so I did then finally I gave up on it. It got very dark!! I'm still trying to get rid of these damn spots and nothing seems to work.
Blushingbabe1

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:33 am      Reply with quote
skinworries, I also heard spots could get darker before they got lighter, but definitely see a dermatologist about it. best of luck
skin_worries

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I seem to get malasma in areas where it was clear before also my freckles are darker also. I have stopped all obagi products for 2 days now ... I have some peeling and dryness but no improvement on the darkness yet....
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah moisturize and leave your skin alone for a few more days.I will try to get some info on this and get back to you later.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
This is maybe corneous layer update process
skin_worries

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Beautyrose: will the darkness disappear? I still look tan.. It is very noticable that I got darker..thank you.
Atiyya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
Ok my Derm said it could be the retin a and obagi having a chemical reaction. I have never heard of this.Could it be the skin it being burnt and will peel off soon?
Is it darker and very dry?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:49 pm      Reply with quote
I found this "Ochronosis
Another complication related to hydroquinone, ochronosis is a skin condition characterized by the formation of black spots on the dermis of the skin. This condition is more common in dark, ethic skin types, Kordestani notes, adding that hydroquinone is banned in Africa and Asia for this reason. If you are concerned about your risk of ochronosis, you should discuss this with your doctor prior to beginning treatment with Obagi products."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/280140-obagi-complications/#ixzz1BjTh6rAD

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
skin_worries, I wasn't going to post in this thread since I've never used obagi, but I've been wondering whether my brown skin has become a slightly different color since using vit c, and lately since beginning retins. I wouldn't be too surprised since isn't hyperpigmentation a way skin protects itself from damage?

But honestly, I think it may just be the equivalent of skin becoming inflamed and red in response to irritation. It just looks like darker pigment on me.
In my case its not so bad that I'll give up the good effects of these products.

I wouldn't get too worried yet, but yes, I'd agree with avoiding the hydroquinone and going for consultation. It'd be a shame to miss out on the good effects of these products because of an initial reaction which may clear up once your skin adjusts, but these are strong treatments so its best to be very careful & go slow especially when compounding them. Good luck!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
For sure your skin is undergoing change.
While on Obagi, it is a good idea not to expose your skin under the sun (or long sun exposure). Always suncreen with a higher SPf say 55 or 60.
Neutragena has this. Obagi has suncreen too with this line but only lower SPF.
Once you start with Obagi products, you can not go back. There is a maintenance program that you have to follow. Your skin will enlighten in due time, be patient. Also, please note that blender is combine with Retin-A, not Obagi clear. I would suggest seeing a dermatologist to see your progress, not on your own, would be better.

skin_worries wrote:

thanks.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Is your skin darker as in "suntanned" or as in "weird dark color"

If if looks suntanned... that happened to me! I REALLY looked tanned and it happened within a week or 2 of using it. It went away with no problems.

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
turfen

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Obagi users Very Happy

I have been on Obagi Nu derm for four weeks now and my melasma has gotten at least two shades darker and I now look like a racoon!!!! I bought the whole system at my doctors office and I am using it under their supervision. I never had ANY peeling during these weeks but as said before my skin has darkened. I use sunscreen and stay out of the sun. The nurse at the doctors office who has been using this product for 15 years told me that she never had anyone who didn`t peel and who got darker instead of whiter so now I am extremely worried. Please if someone had had the same problem or if anyone knows anything about this reply as soon as possible.

Thank you
Sara
skin_worries

Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Sara- I had the same problem with the obagi... Please stop using it. My skin turned charcoal looking and the little malasma I had got so much worse.. I stopped 4 wks already and I'm not to my baseline yet. Apparently, my skin reacted the opposite of what it was suppose to do..my skin thicken and darken instead.. It's rare but it happened to me Sad...and I was very compliant ..

Thank you everyone for all the informative facts about hydroquinone...i really appreciate everyone who have responded to the post..
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 am      Reply with quote
skin_worries wrote:

thanks.

This can happen with Hydroquinone - it can make your skin darker, usually after you've used it for a while.

This is not 'publicized' much as it's a very popular ingredient in this country (US) but in most other places in the world this ingredient is banned as a carcinogen. Sorry this has happened to you. I recommend either the L'Occitane Immortelle or Caudalie Vinoperfect lines.
dongss_1999
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:21 am      Reply with quote
I select this line because someone told me it can make your freckle shallower, but now I found it make the spot darker !!!, should I start to use obagi line ??

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:07 am      Reply with quote
dongss_1999 wrote:
I select this line because someone told me it can make your freckle shallower, but now I found it make the spot darker !!!, should I start to use obagi line ??

Hi, I cannot recommend anything with Hydroquinone. It's risky because it can make the skin darker, and because most of the world considers it a cancer-causing agent.
Stick with natural ingredients like licorice, kojic acid, and the like, in Caudalie, L'Occitane, and other natural lines.
RosieJ

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Hello:

3rd week using Obagie. The Skin over my eye brows has always been quite red due to waxing I've been told. This area is now VERY red using Obagie. Will this area improve and perhaps even loose the red completely?

Also, I have dry skin but have black heads and open pores around my nose, along with lines around my whole mouth area.

Will all these areas improve??

Thank you for any help.
maxibagi

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am      Reply with quote
i know this thread is old but theres a lot of guys who can read this reply..
practice THIS FACIAL ROUTINE FOR TWO MONTHS OR IF IT MEETS YOUR DESIRED RESULTS(prior in applying this things reddening,hard peeling,irritation,painful stinging THIS ARE NORMAL)
THINGS TO USE(CLEAR FAIR SKIN)
buy
- maxipeel 4( u can buy it over asian stores or any online shops)
- obagi clear
- moisturizer
-cleanser that doesnt dry skin
SUNBLOCK SPF 50

for having a problem for darkspots, dark complexion, and blur skin/rough
DAY
apply obagi clear on face (TIPS: DO NOT GO UNDER THE SUN)
IF YOU GO UNDER THE SUN USE SPF50 AND WEAR A CAP OR SOMETHING THAT CAN PROTECT YOUR FACE
after 10mins
apply moisturizer
NIGHT
using a cotton pour 2 drops of maxipeel 4 and apply on the face
(after 10mins)
apply obagi clear over maxipeel 4
(after 10mins)
apply moisturizer

when peeling just rub your face gently MAKE SURE ITS WET

(KEEP MOISTURIZING!!)
(NO PAIN NO GAIN)
Smile
i hope this comment helps
GOODLUCK AND DONT GIVE UP AT FIRST Smile
Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |