Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Why is my skin so itchy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi girls ,

I moved city and have been suffering from breakouts for the last 6 months. I have experienced an itchy sensation on and off during this period. For the holidays, I went back home for a month, cleared up pretty rapidly and experienced no itching.
I've been back for a week and started breaking out again, then stopped washing my face with water from the shower (instead I use distilled bottled water that I heat up in the microwave, Laughing) and the breakouts have indeed stopped. But, yesterday and today, my face has been itching like crazy. The texture of my skin is really uneven and patchy.. I'm going to go to a dermatologist ASAP but still thought maybe I'll ask just for peace of mind.

I'm thinking it's either that my moisturizer (emu oil) can't keep up with the dry, cold weather here, or it's the distilled water.

I've always had really dry skin but have never experienced anything like this. Also, my skin isn't peeling, it just looks red and a little rashy. Sad

What could it be?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there,

It sounds to me like a reaction to really dry indoor-heated air in a cold climate. (What cities did you move from and to?) And once the skin barrier is breached, all sorts of irritants could be getting through, like the fragrance in your laundry detergent. I'm sure your dermatologist will be able to help.

Maybe others with more similar skin will chime in, but I can share what works for me (and because of this, I don't have to switch to heavier "winter" moisturizers). The main thing is a humidifier in the bedroom.

Also helpful: fewer/cooler/shorter showers, a more emollient moisturizer, covering up thoroughly with scarves outdoors, and getting lots of omega-3s like olive, cod liver, primrose, and flax seed oils.

For the itching, you might try Benadryl or another antihistamine.

Hope this helps!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there rockhugger,

thanks so much for getting back.

I moved from the very moderate climate of London to the horrors of the Chicago winter Laughing
Yes, it might very well be the heated indoor air.
The problem with the humidifier is that we actually have to use a dehumidifier because we have mold in our basement, so not sure if I should just put one in our bedroom, maybe.

See, my skin is definitely dry but it looks almost like a sunburn, more red than dry, really. Is that still normal dry skin?

I don't go out in the cold much, we usually drive almost everywhere, so it's definitely not the cold air outside.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, yes, Chicago and its windy cold... I'm moving near there soon. Smile

Too be honest, I rarely have to deal with dry skin, and then usually just my hands which I slather in my favorite body lotion Avene Trixera+ (key ingredient: safflower oil).

Hmmm, red sounds irritated or inflamed somehow, perhaps by fragrance or wind or even sun(?), and I suspect dryness was the original problem that allowed something nasty to get through your barrier.

When my skin is irritated, I really like my Olay Regenerist Regenerating Serum, fragrance-free, which isn't terribly moisturizing but does have niacinamide that tells skin to make more ceramides. Or you could add ceramides directly through some safflower oil.

Here are two healing products that may help. I've used and liked La Roche-Posay Cicaplast, an ointment (actually similar texture to the Olay, just thicker) that has zinc and copper to kill bacteria and yeast and help skin heal. A similar but creamier product is Avene Cicalfate, which also has the soothing ingredient zinc oxide (same stuff as in diaper cream and mineral sunscreens). It has a white cast that goes away when it dries, and I've used it to prevent wounds from turning to scars.

Maybe one of these would help?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Another thought: to check all your products, including shampoos and anything that may touch your face, for irritants. Here's a list by Paula Begoun for starters:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/sensitive-skin-what-to-use.aspx

5% products discount

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Humidifier is a great help to combat those dry itchy feel on the skin during winter. I also change to a richer moisturizer, though I have oily skin. I always put moisturizer and body cream once I feel my skin is getting tighter. I use Omorovicza Body Cream with omega 6 ceramide.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 am      Reply with quote
The fact that the itching cleared up when you went back home makes me think it might be an allergy. When I lived in England, my grandparents lived in Liverpool, whenever I went there to visit I would break out in hives - I never discovered exactly why.

Perhaps you could try taking an antihistamine and see if it has any effect.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Maybe you're allergic to the mold in your basement? When we moved into our most recent apartment, there was a bunch of black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom, and I had terrible respiratory symptoms until I took care of the mold with bleach and apple cider vinegar.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, I know! that's what I was thinking. It's funny, because since I don't use the water in the shower anymore to wash my face, the breakouts have lessened. But now the itching is worse! I really have no idea what it could be. Are antihistamines okay to take?

rockhugger, I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe it's the mold. But I never heard of anybody breaking out/getting an itchy face from mold before Laughing I usually hear about respiratory problems, but never anything skin related.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:35 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Are antihistamines okay to take?

There's no problem taking antihistamines - they're for allergies - they're usually available over the counter. You might want to look for one of the brands that don't make you drowsy though, go and have a word to your pharmacist.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |