Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Turning 30 but feeling like my skin looks 35 : (
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kk29
5% products discount

Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:24 am      Reply with quote
I am new to this forum and have been amazed by how much information there is here. Over the years I have been through stages of having very basic to very thorough skincare regimes with varying quality of products. Now I'm turning 30 this year and freaking out. I have BAD pigmentation under my eyes and down cheeks, lines under eyes from where my cheeks move up when I smile, enlarged pores on nose and overall fines lines around face. I've started using Priori Idebenone moisturizer which I like, currently using MD Formulations cleanser and scrub and still trying different eye creams but I don't really know what I'm doing... Please help...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Welcome! (From one newbie to another.)

I know exactly what you mean--when I turned 30, I freaked out and read several books by dermatologists (Baumann's Skin Type Solution and Irwin's Surgery-free Makeover) and promised myself to see a dermatologist and begin tretinoin cream (the closest thing to a silver bullet in skin care) as soon as I could. Now I'm about 4 months into it, and I love it, although I don't expect to see full results until a year or so has passed.

There's pretty much a consensus among derms that tretinoin and sunscreen are the foundation of a fantastic long-term skin program. And later one can add in other things, like anti-oxidants and laser treatments and whatnot. Tretinoin is tricky though: potentially irritating precisely because it's so powerful, so make sure you get good instructions from your derm on how to start.

You might also try to train yourself not to frown or raise your eyebrows too much (I have some tricks for this), and keep smiling. Smile

5% products discount

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:11 am      Reply with quote
Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to reply... I haven't heard of Tretinoin so will be sure to look it up... Is it for anything in particular or for overall skin health?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome. Tretinoin is a form of Vitamin A, and was originally developed for acne, but turns out to also repair sun damage, reduce hyperpigmentation, and prevent wrinkles / repair fine lines. Retin A is one of the main brands, and here are some links to get started:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=162129#162129

http://www.otbskincare.com/blog/use-retin-a-tretinoin-for-acne-anti-aging-skin-care/1799/

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/skintype/6-great-reasons-use-retinoid

Cheers,
Kay

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Retin A or Tretinoin you must try.if you a re in the US http://www.alldaychemist.com/ has some for under $3.00.You will want to start with a low % like 0.025 and work your way up.

Awesome stuff

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
Another cheer for Retin A or Trentinoin! I stopped for quite a while and noticed quite a difference.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hi kk29, I wish I'd had a Clarisonic when I was your age. A microfiber cloth is a cheaper alternative. Agree with Retin-a suggestions also.

Get a good sunscreen. A lot of people seem to be switching to zinc sunscreens; am reading good things about one called Devita.

Reduce carbs/bad sugars from your diet also. I went on the Perricone diet in my early 30s and am glad I did. The Zone is good also. Lowering your carbs will help prevent insulin spikes which in turn will help prevent wrinkles.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/75798-effects-sugar-skin-aging/
Moonface001
5% products discount

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:56 am      Reply with quote
Another on here who recommends the Tretanin. Do lots of reading first and be prepaired to take it slow. I also agree with the sunscreen. To begin with just use one, then as you learn more you will find out which ingredients are better. I am one of the people who mainly (like 95% of the time) use zinc based sunscreen.

Also think about your diet. Replace soft drinks and even juices with water. Try un sweetened teas if you want some variety. I highly recommend fish oil and evening primrose oil not just for general health but for skin health.

If you do not use Retin A - Tretanin then add exfoliation into your plan. Use what suits your skin type. Some people like really grainy things while others use a micro fibre cloth.

There are so many things out there to try. But make suncreen, retin a or antioxidents the first priority.
kk29
5% products discount

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Ok so I have been researching and googling this Tretinoin and now I know why I haven't heard of it. I'm in Australia and it is prescription only here so not something that is common over the counter stuff that everyone use and knows of. Since my research though it seems that it is amazing stuff. I have some questions I'm hoping people might be able to help me with.

- when people say be prepared what do they mean? Is it because the results take time or because my skin might freak out?

- it can be really expensive to get stuff shipped to AU from the States but I have found a site that has Obagi Tretinoin 0.025 that ships international at reasonable rates, is this the same thing everyone is talking about? Is Tretinoin the type of cream it is not the brand name?

- and finally, when do I use it? Am I right in thinking cleanse, Tretinoin, moisturiser, eye cream, sunscreen? Can I use morning and night and do I put on whole face like i would with a moisturiser?
Answers will be much appreciated.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:02 am      Reply with quote
Hi again!

- Your skin might peel and flake for a couple of months, might be itchy, generally irritated. It helps to be super gentle: gentle cleanser, gentle/bland moisturizer your skin already knows, etc. You will see benefits during that time (radiance/glow, blackheads disappearing, etc.), but it takes patience to see the full benefits. If you're acne-prone, it will become worse first before getting better. Experience with OTC retinol (like Neutrogena Healthy Skin night cream) and niacinamide (Olay Regenerist line) helps prepare the skin for tretinoin.

- I would see a derm or GP for a prescription. Many derms prescribe antibiotics to get you through the beginning if you're acne-prone. Some people on the forum use ADC (alldaychemist).

- Night only, and every third night for several weeks, then every other night for another several weeks, then maybe every night if your skin can handle it. We can provide more detailed info about the application process...

Cheers,
Kay

5% products discount

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Kay : ) I have been googling like mad tonight and feel like I have a much better understanding now. I am going to try Retin-A Micro 0.04... I read that the Micro one can be less irritating. I'm currently using Priori Idebenone Moisturiser which I love, do you think this will be ok? I'd like to keep using it if I can. I had a look at the ingredients listing but it is mumbo jumbo to me... Also currently using MD Formulations Glycolic cleanser but have read that you shouldn't use the Retin-A with glycolic, is this correct?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:01 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome! Smile

Yes, the RA Micro might be less irritating. Some people start on regular cream .01% or .025% and then work up, but my derm started me on cream .05% and I've managed alright. If I had it to do over, I'd probably ask for cream .025%.

I understand that Idebenone (although it's a great antiox) can be irritating to some people, so you might want to back off, like use it only as often as the RA (and not at the same time). You're right, glycolic is not recommended, because it makes the RA penetrate deeper, and you don't want that at the beginning. I had to switch to a super gentle cleanser in order to tolerate RA: La Roche-Posay Toleriane gentle dermo-cleanser.

And do you have a go-to soothing moisturizer? Mine are Olay Regenerist regenerating serum fragrance-free and La Roche-Posay Cicaplast.

5% products discount

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Moonface001 wrote:
Another on here who recommends the Tretanin. Do lots of reading first and be prepaired to take it slow. I also agree with the sunscreen. To begin with just use one, then as you learn more you will find out which ingredients are better. I am one of the people who mainly (like 95% of the time) use zinc based sunscreen.

Also think about your diet. Replace soft drinks and even juices with water. Try un sweetened teas if you want some variety. I highly recommend fish oil and evening primrose oil not just for general health but for skin health.

If you do not use Retin A - Tretanin then add exfoliation into your plan. Use what suits your skin type. Some people like really grainy things while others use a micro fibre cloth.

There are so many things out there to try. But make suncreen, retin a or antioxidents the first priority.
I agree! Great answer Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |