Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Tips for sleeping on your back, or is tretinoin enough?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I've often noticed that my left-hand smile lines are still there in the morning, but the right-hand ones are usually gone. I'm thinking it must be linked to sleeping on my left side mostly, even though my face doesn't get smushed into my memory-foam pillow (I think).

So, my questions are...

How would I go about training myself to sleep on my back? I already have mild insomnia, and if I decide to take up this project, it would be nice for it not to disrupt my sleep too much.

And is it necessary/worthwhile to try to sleep on my back? Or... for long-term tretinoin users out there... might tretinoin eventually make my skin resilient enough that it doesn't matter?

Thanks in advance! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Since I started sleeping on my back, my face is always wrinkle-free in the morning just like in the evening.

The way I trained myself is just by sleeping on my back and not turning, so I woke up every time my body decided to turn. After 2-3 nights my body got used to not turning. Sorry, I don't know any other (less cruel) way Smile
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
I would put it on while awake for 1/2 hour before going to bed. That should be enough time for it to absorb into the skin. That will help a lot. Greg
Moonface001
5% products discount

Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 am      Reply with quote
I have been trying to train my self to sleep on my back for at least half a year. I am finding it really hard. I am thinking of making my self a pillow that supports the sides of my head so it can not roll to the side. If you find anything that works please post.
shimmie*
5% products discount

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
My left NL line is deeper than my right because I sleep on my front wiht head out to the right. My neck flexibility and muscles are also affected by this but to me the hardest thing is sleeping on my back...
At the end of the day, I don't care about my neck, my face lines are assymetrical! Embarassed

I will keep my eye on this thread hoping to learn something!
kk29
5% products discount

Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
I used to always sleep on my side but since getting a proper supportive pillow that is shaped to fit my neck I actually find it more comfortable and easier to sleep on my back. Maybe have a look at pillows? Mine 'fits' my neck and kind of holds it in place if I am lying on my back.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:25 am      Reply with quote
kk29 wrote:
I used to always sleep on my side but since getting a proper supportive pillow that is shaped to fit my neck I actually find it more comfortable and easier to sleep on my back. Maybe have a look at pillows? Mine 'fits' my neck and kind of holds it in place if I am lying on my back.

kk29 have you got a pic of this pillow or similar? trying to picture what it looks like..

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
kk29
5% products discount

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:43 am      Reply with quote
I don't have a pic but will try to get one up. It is made of ribbed foamy stuff that kind of holds it's own shape and is like a U-shape and you put the end that fits your neck best under it and the other end sits at the top of your head. I don't think it's anything too high tech I got it from my chiropractor for neck problems and the way it is shaped helps support your neck while you sleep. It was around $75AUS.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, kk29--does the pillow look something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/NeckPillow-Tempur-Pedic-Medium-20-12/dp/B001ACOOX6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1296387144&sr=8-6
And do you put the thicker side under your neck?

I managed to sleep on my back for a couple of hours at the end of last night/this morning. Lower back pain is another issue for me, so I put a pillow under my knees. It seemed to help...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:20 am      Reply with quote
rockhugger, i think its u-shaped..

is it like this? http://easepal.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008802940216/pdtl/Massage-pillow/1000616220/U-shape-Pillow.htm

if so, which bit does your head go on?

32, still using: OCM, vitc C, epidermx, ageless (for my lips), now added clarisonic, silk pillow and Aldi skincare! Skin is better than ever 31, medium olive skin, combination-oily. Staples: epidermx II, OCM, retin-a, vit c powder, facial exercises (ageless).
kk29
5% products discount

Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
The pillow in this link is similar shape and foam type material as the pillow I have. When you look at it sideways it forms a U and you use the end with the hump that best fits your neck to support it.

http://www.completesleeprrr.com/

5% products discount

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Actually from further review of the website I think this is the pillow I have but I'm not sure which of the three types it is that I have. It has made a big difference in sleep quality for me and as I said in earlier post I prefer to sleep on my back rather than my side with it. It is designed for use on back or side too though.

5% products discount

Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I trained myself to sleep on my back a few years ago. For me, it was essential to stop using a pillow. My neck, back, & shoulders are much happier now. I have no facial lines to speak of.

Smile

41 y.o., fair, dry, sensitive, mild to moderate rosacea (inflammatory *and* flushing). Minimalist approach to skincare is working for me. Interested in gentle anti-aging treatments (acupressure, massage, exercise, LED) Smile
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm not so worried about my smile lines anymore (the right one is gone, gone, gone! and the left one is much softer, thanks to tretinoin), but I have other reasons, including puffy eyes and shoulder pain.

I'm using a pillow similar to the one kk29 posted, and I've started taking 1.5 mg of melatonin each evening, and about 30-45 minutes later it makes me very sleepy, sleepy enough to fall asleep on my back maybe half the time. And then I wake up hours later with some lower back pain, even with the pillow under my knees, but that's another problem... Anyway, just wanted to update you all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
bellableu wrote:
I trained myself to sleep on my back a few years ago. For me, it was essential to stop using a pillow. My neck, back, & shoulders are much happier now. I have no facial lines to speak of.

Smile

Interested, have you not found more lymphatic eye bags/puffy eyes in the morning? I'm trying to get out of lying on my left side, I've tried no pillow and it just doesn't seem to help, I find it uncomfortable, go flat upright and still something missing for support,... any advice?
I've actually tended to the opposite recently to prevent eye bags,... two pillows, even sleeping slightly upright!! Obviously there is nothing weirder than folk!
My brother happens to be able to sleep anywhere, with pillow, without, seated on a plane,... how I envy the persons that can sleep in any position!
Thanks.
bellableu
5% products discount

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
bellableu wrote:

Smile

Interested, have you not found more lymphatic eye bags/puffy eyes in the morning? I'm trying to get out of lying on my left side, I've tried no pillow and it just doesn't seem to help, I find it uncomfortable, go flat upright and still something missing for support,... any advice?
I've actually tended to the opposite recently to prevent eye bags,... two pillows, even sleeping slightly upright!! Obviously there is nothing weirder than folk!
My brother happens to be able to sleep anywhere, with pillow, without, seated on a plane,... how I envy the persons that can sleep in any position!
Thanks.

I get a little puffy from allergies/irritants - and sometimes from MSG. Not so much from sleeping position - unless I accidentally DO end up sleeping on my side with an eye pressed against the pillow, THEN that eye will be way puffy in the morning. Smile

I do yoga, so Savasana has taught me to appreciate lying flat on my back in a relaxed position. My only advice is to try using a small, low pillow to raise your neck/head a little to help you transition. If I use a pillow now, it hurts my neck - but I couldn't do without one at first, I really liked my head slightly raised.

Not sure if that helps ... Embarassed

41 y.o., fair, dry, sensitive, mild to moderate rosacea (inflammatory *and* flushing). Minimalist approach to skincare is working for me. Interested in gentle anti-aging treatments (acupressure, massage, exercise, LED) Smile
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:36 am      Reply with quote
Smile bellableu, thanks! Yes it has helped, hadn't thought of a "transition" pillow path!!
BelleFlower
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
I use a pillow made especially to prevent wrinkles for us unrepentant side sleepers. It sort of looks like a double sided wrench. So when you lie on your side, you have pillow support under your chin and under the top of your head, but only air under your face.

It was really helped. The only time it hasn't is when I have not positioned the pillow properly.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:51 am      Reply with quote
If you sleep on your back you might wind up snoring. Not a problem if you sleep alone.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Smile yes, and not a problem if your SO sleeps through anything, including earthquakes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:39 am      Reply with quote
BelleFlower wrote:
I use a pillow made especially to prevent wrinkles for us unrepentant side sleepers. It sort of looks like a double sided wrench. So when you lie on your side, you have pillow support under your chin and under the top of your head, but only air under your face.

It was really helped. The only time it hasn't is when I have not positioned the pillow properly.

Where did you get the pillow?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:17 am      Reply with quote
rockhugger wrote:
Smile yes, and not a problem if your SO sleeps through anything, including earthquakes.

Also not a problem if (female) your breasts aren't so large they feel like they are suffocating you sleeping on your back! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Darkmoon - I wish I had something close to that problem!!! Laughing

Here's a link to the anti-wrinkle pillows, I've wanted one for a long time.

http://savemyface.com/

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 2:33 am      Reply with quote
If you’re waking up sore and achy every morning and your mattress is new, you may need to reevaluate how you’re sleeping, says Scott D. Boden, M.D., director of the Emory Spine Center in Atlanta. Lying flat on your back forces your spine into an unnatural position, which can strain your muscles, joints, and nerves. “Your spine isn’t meant to be straight,” he says. “It has three natural curves: one in your lower back, one in the middle of your back, and one near your neck. under your neck as long as it doesn’t push your chin too far forward. Sleeping facedown can exaggerate the arch at the base of your spine and cause strain. Our advice? Sew or tape a tennis ball to the front of your nightgown or nightshirt. We guarantee your stomach-sleeping days will be over.
evilemma

Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I recently trained myself to sleep on my back, it took about 3 weeks or so. I used to only be able to fall asleep if I was lying on my right side. The way I trained myself was by lying on my back with my pillow supporting the sides of my neck, so I could still turn my head to the right and feel comfortable. If I didn't fall asleep within 15-30 min, I would give in and sleep on my right side. After a couple week, I began to fall asleep lying on my back, but would wake up in the morning on my side. Now, I can only fall asleep if I'm lying on my back, and I wake up on my back too. Sleeping on my side has become uncomfortable,my face feels too smushed.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |