Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Face wash recipe?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if someone could please help me in making a SLS free face wash. however,I would rather use a surfactant which would result in a nice foam which is sls free, if possible. I want to use seakelp bioferment as the base. If it's already been discussed, any link/s would be highly appreciated. Thank you
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:05 am      Reply with quote
I don't have a face cleanser recipe for you, I use OCM. However, you could try using a little Castile Soap with your SKB. I make my own shampoo using those two ingredients (and a few others). Castile Soap is a natural surfactant (it's made from oils) - it's done wonders for my scalp.

Googled and just found this:

Anti-Aging skin Cleanser
Ingredients:
3 tbs. aloe-vera gel
3 tbs. liquid Castile soap
3 tbs. Grapeseed oil
1 tbs. Rosehip seed oil
1 tsp. vegetable glycerin
10 drops carrot-seed essential oil
10 drops Neroli essential oil

Instructions:

Mix ingredients in a bowl. Transfer to glass jar, then shake for 2 minutes. To use: Apply to skin in a circular motion for a minute or 2. Rinse with a warm cloth and water.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
ok great, thank you very much!
PlantLady

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
However, you could try using a little Castile Soap with your SKB. I make my own shampoo using those two ingredients (and a few others). Castile Soap is a natural surfactant (it's made from oils) - it's done wonders for my scalp.

Slightly off topic, but Keliu, would you mind sharing what your recipe is? I tried using Castile & Coconut Oil as a shampoo and it made my hair feel coated & it was horribly tangled. Have you ever had this experience or do you have any suggestions?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Here's my shampoo recipe:

Peppermint Shampoo 300 ml

1 cup castile soap 250ml
¼ cup water 60ml
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tsp SKB or Aloe Vera (2-5%)
20 drops peppermint essential oil
¼ teaspoon vitamin E oil

Combine all ingredients in a plastic bottle and shake well to mix.

I don't notice any difference at all from using this compared to normal shampoos - it lathers up well. I wash my hair everyday, but when I was using commercial shampoos I always had a greasy film left on my scalp. I don't get this anymore and my scalp no longer itches.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu, thank you for generously sharing your recipe! I am looking forward to trying it out.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:33 am      Reply with quote
Let me know what you think. BTW, the Castile Soap I'm using is Dr. Bronner's. There's one variety which already has the Peppermint Oil added.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Let me know what you think. BTW, the Castile Soap I'm using is Dr. Bronner's. There's one variety which already has the Peppermint Oil added.

That's what I have used to make your recipe and still add extra peppermint oil, I love the minty tingle and smell.
I really like the shampoo, I don't even have the oily or itchy issue, it's great on any hair. You really came up with a winner! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I went to my local pharmacy yesterday and saw Dr. Bronner's castile soap there; I was wondering if I have to dilute it 1st or can I use it straight ( as a body wash) from the bottle as well ? Thank you
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Keliu wrote:

I went to my local pharmacy yesterday and saw Dr. Bronner's castile soap there; I was wondering if I have to dilute it 1st or can I use it straight ( as a body wash) from the bottle as well ? Thank you

Hi daler,
Not Keliu, but I have used Dr. Bronners liquid soaps since I was a teen.....long time, I just apply straight to wet skin and it's never been a problem. The peppermint may be a bit strong for delicate areas for some, personally it never irritated me anywhere.
HTH Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the info DarkMoon!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:

You are welcome, I love this stuff, I even use it for hand washables and undies, they smell so nice and minty fresh! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
daler wrote:

You are welcome, I love this stuff, I even use it for hand washables and undies, they smell so nice and minty fresh! Laughing

It's sad how I have been avoiding castile soap for years; I was told to stay away from "soaps" as they have a high pH, I ll definitely try castile now... would you by any chance know it's pH? Thank you
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the great sounding recipe! I've also been using Dr Bronners (on my body & hair), mostly because I know its pure. I haven't noticed a problem on my hair, even straight, but that may be just me. I don't often soap my hair, just my scalp, and when I do my hair, I usually use a real shampoo.

I do find it a bit drying on my skin, so I dilute it. I'm not sure the pH but the rare time I might have used it on my face, I used an acv toner afterwards. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

And I might as well add that my solution for dandruff or dry, itchy scalp has been a teaspoon of acv massaged in before I get in the shower. Nothing has been more effective. I was so happy to rid myself of those horrible smelling anti-dandruff shampoos - I used to keep a sample size of regular head & shoulders in the bath to use once every couple of months, and hated it. So happy to throw that out!

I've been using SKB on my skin but haven't tried it on my hair yet. I've got somewhat coarse, extremely curly hair which I need to weigh down with product to keep from frizzing, so I'm not sure if its worth investing precious skb in my hair...

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
I've experimented with DIY cleansers quite a bit but overall I don't think it's worth it, there are decent reasonably priced products available. (OCM is probably an exception, but I'm not into that)

For a gentle soapy type cleanser, the Devita aloe vera gel cleanser is surprisingly awesome. The cleannsing ingredients is soapwort extract which is a really great healthy cleanser. I looked it up and I was impressed. Because of course my first reaction was, what in the world is soapwort? it it soap made from worts?

For a creamy non foaming cleanser, the Cerave cleanser is really good. You can also experiment by mizing it with the devita, or with honey, with SKB in some combination. I like to mix cerave with some honey in the palm of my hand and use that with a clarisonic.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
Oh and I definitely want to second that ACV is great for hair. It's a key ingredient in my hair wash concoction- suave conditioner, ACV, honey, and water. I don't even use shampoo that often because I feel like the ACV does the job.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Dose Dr. Bronner's good for hair and face? It is not expensive.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |