Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
DiY Chemical peel !?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kaguia
5% products discount

Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I was thinking to do a chemical peel myself. Im only 24 years old but i'm not satisfied with my complexion at all. Besides i have dull colour , acne and different pygmentation problems. So i decided to make this step but before getting to the action i'm asking you for some advices.
What kind of acid is better to start off glycolic,salycilic and what concentration would be less dangerous but still having some good results.Also would a chemical peel be good for removing strechmarks or scars?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
You may want to start with Mandelic Acid. It has a good reputation for acne and discoloration. It is more tolerable as well - less pain and after effects. You can use it weekly. I've done two weekly treatments with 25% and it does seem to work well on discoloration - I already notice a difference.

Here's where I got mine. http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/products/25_Mandelic_Acid_Peel-512-111.html
Kaguia
5% products discount

Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your reply Smile ...i was thinking also about lactic acid, i read that it's not so irritating like the other acids especially that i have very sensitive skin.
I'm just not sure how this kind of acids are neutralised Embarassed Can somebody help me and explain the process to me?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Kaguia wrote:
Thank you for your reply Smile ...i was thinking also about lactic acid, i read that it's not so irritating like the other acids especially that i have very sensitive skin.
I'm just not sure how this kind of acids are neutralised Embarassed Can somebody help me and explain the process to me?

The Mandelic doesn't need to be neutralized - you just put it on for 2-5 minutes and wash it off with water.

For Lactic or Glycolic, you use a mixture of baking soda and water, rinse your face with water and then apply the baking soda/water mix.
Kaguia
5% products discount

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for your help Embarassed
I would have one more question. After the chemical peel what products can i use to take care of my skin? I suppose that some products can irritate my skin so easily...would it better to use natural oils like virgin olive oil, jojoba oil or even natural homemade masks?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I usually use oils after a mild peel - emu, apricot kernel, or rosehip seed oil. After a more intense peel you should use an anti-biotic ointment like neosporin.

Most of the peel kits should have instructions on what to use after.
Kaguia
5% products discount

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I have a mole on my face, i suppose i should avoid it while doing the peel...right?
Kaguia
5% products discount

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I will do the peel with lactic acid from the pharmacy so i will not have any instructions that's why i'm asking for some advices Neutral Sad
Kaguia
5% products discount

Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 am      Reply with quote
common girls im not experienced and i need ur help Sad
JenJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Lactic acid peels don't tend to sting, though you may feel a slight "bite."

First timers will leave the peel on 3-4 minutes then neutralize (mix a bit of baking soda and water).

I would avoid the mole when you apply the peel.

After a period of time where you've been using the peel, then increase the time 7-10 minutes, but only if your skin can handle it. There are some skintypes that just cannot handle peels so listen to your skin.

My favorite peel is the Clarity Peel from Infininte Skin Company. It's a blend of salicylic acid (clean out pore debris) and lactic acid.
http://www.infiniteskinco.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=5
Kaguia
5% products discount

Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Jen Smile
Fox
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 23 and also looking to try one of these "peels" for the first time. (The word peel always makes me think I will look like a flaky lobster as soon as I rinse it off...) I hadn't heard of mandelic before, what's the difference between it and something like salicylic acid? (Salicylic acid is the one I've been thinking of trying first, at 5%.)

Kaguia, I'll be interested in hearing how it works out for you! Have your bought any yet?
Kaguia
5% products discount

Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:22 am      Reply with quote
Hi Fox Smile
I didn't buy any acid yet cuz i'm still thinking what's the best and still researching and looking for some advices from experienced persons in this field. My skin is quite sensitive so i read on the internet that lactic acid doesn't irritate your skin as much as other acids do. And also i was thinking to use it for a scar and stretchmarks...i'm putting all my hope in this chemical peel.
Kaguia
5% products discount

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi again...i recently asked a cosmetician if with a chemical peel i can get rid of the hyperpigmentation from my complexion and get a flawless look and she said that i cant get rid off this so easily just with this procedure.
Now i'm totaly confused bcuz i saw so many reviews and comments about chemical peels and the amazing results that they have.
Is she right or wrong? Confused
JenJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Peels can definitely help reduce pigmentation, but it does take time. Pigmentation may be in the deeper layers of the skin, so one will need to be consistent with peels and the use of sunscreen.

The use of other products/devices can make a huge difference, such as LED devices, Retin A or retinols, to expedite the process.
Chiqui65
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:21 am      Reply with quote
If you buy lactic (or other) acid from a pharmacy/drugstore, please check the strength. It is sometimes sold as ingredient for skincare (for which you need just a few ml) and strength then is easily 80-90%. Please DO NOT use this on your face undiluted. I think you'd better order the acid from a site like platinum skincare or makeupartistschoice, they will send you instructions and they have different strenghts.

Chiqui
Kaguia
5% products discount

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your replies Smile
I really appreciate that u took time off to answer to my questions Smile
bunnyman
5% products discount

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Have you thought of trying a chemical free peel like a green herbal peel? I tried Herbal Power Peel and it made a big difference in reducing acne and improved the texture of my skin. I have sensitive skin and just used a small amount so I did not visibly peel.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 am      Reply with quote
This is a good place to purchase peels:
http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/catalog/At_Home_Chemical_Peels-10-1.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:11 am      Reply with quote
Have you thought about having your first peel done at a Medical Spa or somewhere where there is someone with experience giving you the peel? You can ask them exactly what they are using and the strength. Ask to have a mirror so you can see what they are doing during the peel. You can then get a sense of how it should feel, how it looks when you are frosting, how long they keep in on for you, (some people are highly reactive or have thin skin, so it would be on less time, etc.)

You will then know what is normal for you in terms of how it should feel, and look. You will also know how red you get, how much you peel, etc. so you don't freak out when doing it yourself bacause you don't know what to expect.

Just a thought.....
vienna_h
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 am      Reply with quote
i agree with lilmiss.

im 24, treating for largepores, uneven tone, a couple acne scars, i got too anxious and did my first ever peel at home, using what i saw on the internet as a guide. Im not sure if i did it correctly because i was expecting a lot more redness, pain, peeling etc, and in reality it was very mild. wish i had done it at the doctors the first time to have a better idea.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
vienna_h wrote:
i agree with lilmiss.

im 24, treating for largepores, uneven tone, a couple acne scars, i got too anxious and did my first ever peel at home, using what i saw on the internet as a guide. Im not sure if i did it correctly because i was expecting a lot more redness, pain, peeling etc, and in reality it was very mild. wish i had done it at the doctors the first time to have a better idea.

When starting off with peels, it's much better to start with a lower strength and then work up as your skin tolerates it. So you really haven't wasted your time - it is all good preparation for a stronger peel. It's also much better to be safe than sorry.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 am      Reply with quote
I plan on doing a 2 layer 12.5% tca peel today to lessen a few shallow box-car scars and sum enlarged pores. I'm 23. I have light skin but I def do tan in the summer. Trying to do this before the pool weather here in VA.

I regularly use a 12% Glycolic AHA cream and sometimes an Alpha Lipoic acid cream with Vit C Ester and DMAE.

I'm wondering if putting a petroletum based product on after performing the peel would just sting out the peeling process. I have sum Super E Natural Vit E Ointment containing sum good stuffs. I have Avacado Oil on hand too.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |