Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
skincare for skiing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
loribar
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Can some of you winter weather experts help me out with some suggestions on products to use on an upcoming family ski vacation??

I've been having some dry/dehydrated skin issues for the first time in my life and I'm already a bit worried about the all day cold, windburn, and sun combination on my face. Any product recommendations??

All help is much appreciated!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
You definitely need a good sunscreen! I like Devita Protective moisturizer, but it might not be enough, if you burn easily. When I go skiing I apply Clarins UV Plus SPF 40.

I also used Maria Galland's Sport day cream14 that protects the skin against wind and weather. Here is a link:

http://www.maria-galland.com/it/m2/produkte/gesicht/tagespflege/pr/sport-day-cream-14.html

But you might have trouble finding it.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
I think skiing is nothing but hell on my skin. I sit in the ski lodge and look at all the aged female skiers...no thank you, very much. Cold..wind, and sun?

moisturize..serums...sun screen..and laser treatment when you get home. that's my suggestion.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
MAJOR sunscreen, and lipbalm with sunscreen.

Moisturizer at night...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
I look like a mess when I go snowboarding but at least my skin doesn't suffer that much!

First of all, I really try to use a ski mask all the time so then ski mask + goggles = happy face.

I usually put also a physical sunscreen and many times I resort to vaseline on top Smile

But really your best bet is to get a good ski mask + goggles + helmet Smile

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
loribar
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
LOL hotdocgirl!! I hear ya...I'm trying to be preventative!

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions/recommendations.Josee, I have some left-over elta md laser balm which I had considered putting on top of everything...so I feel better about that considering you actually have used vaseline.

I will look for that product for wind/sun Russiansunshine.

Thank you again for the help!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to use a good moisturizing mask at night. If you exfoliate first it will penetrate better.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
JOM... can you recommend your favorite ski mask??

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

I don't ski! Laughing But, my favorite moisturizing mask right now is Clark's Botanicals Deep Moisture Mask http://store.orangeblossomspa.com/cb007.html

I was actually thinking that this could be used under sunscreen while skiing. I used it on a cross-country flight recently and it kept my skin well hydrated. I just applied it as a moisturizer, just a thin layer, then put sunscreen over it and my skin did not get dry or dehydrated after the flight. My skin glowed.

If you're interested in trying it, the online store that I linked to is having a 15% off sale until Feb. 15, just use code VAL15.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I think, Josee means a headgear that covers the whole head and face! Not a skincare product Rolling Eyes

jom wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

I don't ski! Laughing But, my favorite moisturizing mask right now is Clark's Botanicals Deep Moisture Mask http://store.orangeblossomspa.com/cb007.html

I was actually thinking that this could be used under sunscreen while skiing. I used it on a cross-country flight recently and it kept my skin well hydrated. I just applied it as a moisturizer, just a thin layer, then put sunscreen over it and my skin did not get dry or dehydrated after the flight. My skin glowed.

If you're interested in trying it, the online store that I linked to is having a 15% off sale until Feb. 15, just use code VAL15.
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
I think, Josee means a headgear that covers the whole head and face! Not a skincare product Rolling Eyes

jom wrote:
ClaudiaFE wrote:

The question was directed to me by Claudia and I recommended a moisturizing mask, not a ski mask. So I replied with a product recommendation. Maybe Claudia meant to direct her question to Josee?
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
LOL! Sorry... My eyes skipped around...

Always LOVE a good moisturizing mask... could be a good idea under the sunscreen... 'cause the drying out factor can be BAD!

But yeah, I meant Josee, (Sorry JOM, I did say you... my fault), and GEAR!

thanks...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:

The Windblock fleece ones are good as they actually block the wind and keep you warm.
Also the windblock fleece hats are awesome.

And the Wigwam Ingenious ski socks.
Those actually get rid of the humidity in your socks and have a wool outer layer to keep your feet dry.
I bought one pair a few years ago and they were so good I went rightback a few days later to buy 2 more pairs.
These socks are like $25 a pair.
Now I use them in my winter boots all winter as I have problems with damp toes/humidity with most other socks and then your toes freeze w hen you go in and out of doors all the time.

My winter footwear is breatheable too, it is made with Goretex...so not some crappy shoes either.

I'll also say wear polarized sunglasses.
I had a nice fashionable $50 pair of sunglasses I wore one year for a day and I had some vision problems from the reflection by the end of the day...but I was outside around 6 hours in all.

Now I have polarized lenses and no problems since then.
Usually I would wear ski goggles,but in the spring like in March and April it is quite warm here.
My ski goggles are from Smith and so are my sunglasses.
Oakley is also good,

Now for skincare...something with sunscreen I guess.
I think I'm better at recommending what clothing to wear/use.
I have right now some Snowblades, twin tip skis,snowboard that I haven't used yet (borrowed by family member...lol).

Usually I ski 2 days a week,but this year getting over some inuries,so not sure when I will go to the hill.

Also, those hand warmers packets are useful.
Some of my friends were making fun of me for using them,but my finger tips are even cold in my house right now...so i don't care!
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't been skiing in 6 years. As far as gear goes, I have a brand new pair of 6 year old boots. I haven't even tried on since babies. I bet they don't fit... Oh, I still have my sunglasses JUST for skiing... they worked well... are probably WAY dated! LOL!

Thinking of learning to board. Probably next season. We'll FINALLY take our boys. I'm sure they will want to board. That will be a good time for me to learn.

Thanks for the input!!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:27 am      Reply with quote
This topic turned into some awesome resources for me...literally from head to toes...lol!! Thank you so much!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:26 am      Reply with quote
A helmet is also good, I forgot about that.
I should probably buy one since I do ski a lot (well not yet this year).

My sister, she snowboards and I was with her and she fell backwards and hit her head on some ice and blacked out for like 30 seconds.
She bought a helmet after that.

I do wear a helmet for other sports though-like cycling and inline skating..so really I should know better.

My only "injury" from skiing recently was some very bruised shins when I went on a too steep hill and my boots kept on hitting my shins..I was in so much pain I had to stop skiing the rest of the day Sad
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am      Reply with quote
My worst sunburn has come from a ski trip where I did not have enough sunscreen on. Elta is a good one, but extra balm to reapply during the day for nose and lips.
My face gets so chapped, at night I use Aquaphor to revive it.
I try now to keep most of it covered, depending on the wind, temp., etc.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:52 am      Reply with quote
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned topical vitamin C...anyone whose skin is exposed to intense sun should be using it.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Is vit c that effective against sun? I thought it was only somewhat preventative but not enough to really speak of.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
ReCverin
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
Is vit c that effective against sun? I thought it was only somewhat preventative but not enough to really speak of.

Vitamin C is NOT sunscreen; everyone should use sunscreen too. Vitamin C is the primary natural antioxidant in skin, and fights the free radicals that are formed by exposure to solar radiation. These free radicals can attack the collagen, other proteins, lipids and DNA of the skin and skin cells, resulting in signs of premature aging including wrinkles, thinning of the skin, and loss of elasticity, plus other damage that is even more serious. It is very important to maintain high levels of vitamin C in the skin in situations of sun exposure, because this exposure results in very rapid depletion of vitamin C.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Firstly, Vit C is not for every skin type. Secondly,it does not have the power to protect your skin against wind, snow and sun Sad

ReCverin wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned topical vitamin C...anyone whose skin is exposed to intense sun should be using it.
havana8

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Dermalogica's Climate Control is supposed to provide a barrier against the elements. Here is a little review from You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE2WR_YWF_Y

Also, First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream seems to get tons of good reviews for helping to combat dry, irritated and/or chapped skin. Most people say it works well under makeup and so I would assume, sunscreen.
ReCverin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Firstly, Vit C is not for every skin type.

Since Vit C is found naturally in ALL skin, I assume you mean that Vit C products are not for all skin types. Up until relatively recently, that may have been true.
RussianSunshine wrote:
Secondly, it does not have the power to protect your skin against wind, snow and sun.

Vit C doesn't directly protect the skin from "wind" or "snow." "Cold" is another matter. Vit C has remarkable and scientifically proven benefits against cold, including maintenance of warmer skin temperature, maintenance of warmer body core temperature, decrease in the sensation of discomfort from cold, and reduction in the incidence of frostbite (see Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1961, Issue 92, pages 307-317).
In regard to your contention that Vit C does not have the power to protect your skin from sun, please consider this: "The skin uses antioxidants to protect itself from the sunlight. The antioxidants neutralize the harmful chemical reactions that lead to skin damage. The major non enzymatic antioxidants used by the skin to reduce photodamage are vitamin C (l-ascorbic acid) in the aqueous phase, vitamin E (α-tocopherol), and ubiquinol 10 in the lipid phase, glutathione intracellularly, and α-lipoic acid in the mitochondria. When compared on a molar basis, the activity of vitamin C is more then 10-fold greater than that of all other antioxidants" (from “Photoprotection by Sunscreens with Topical Antioxidants and Systemic Antioxidants to Reduce Skin Exposure,” Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants, 14(4)317–340 (2004). Or you might even try this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vitamin+c+photoprotection
loribar
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent info everyone!! You are all a treasure trove of resources and I'm so thankful for this forum.

We fly out early tues morning and you are all invited to join us in beautiful Beaver Creek, Colorado!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Ottawa Shopper wrote:

And the Wigwam Ingenious ski socks.
Those actually get rid of the humidity in your socks and have a wool outer layer to keep your feet dry.

Yes I have found that wool is what I like best! I like using the smartwool brand and I esp. like wearing thin wool socks.
out of doors all the time.

Ottawa Shopper wrote:

I'll also say wear polarized sunglasses.
I had a nice fashionable $50 pair of sunglasses I wore one year for a day and I had some vision problems from the reflection by the end of the day...but I was outside around 6 hours in all.

The thing with polarized sunglasses for skiing/snowboarding is that it depends on what you do. If you do lots of moguls, bumps,etc. the polarized glasses affect your depth perception and you don't see the bumps as well... in which case it's better to get mirrored sunglasses.

Ottawa Shopper wrote:

Also, those hand warmers packets are useful.
Some of my friends were making fun of me for using them,but my finger tips are even cold in my house right now...so i don't care!

This year I bit the bullet and bought toe warmers... I'm never going back to cold toes again! I do a lot of backcountry snowboarding and sometimes we're out there for many, many hours... the toe warmers have really made a difference.

This winter I'll be trying heli-skiing (snowboarding) for the first time... I'm very excited!!!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |