Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Dianna Yvonne 25% C serum
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I've been using this for a while and wanted to post my review on it, especially in light of recent disscussions about c serums. Today I tipped what was left (about half a bottle ) down the sink Sad It had gone waaaay darker than my skinceuticals in only 2 months and it was beginning to stain my hands and fingers...I may as well not have quit fags...my fingers look like I smoke 40 a day! I loved the texture, I think it is the HA in it, but it had to go! If I can get some pure L-ascorbic acid, I'm going to make my own. Till then, I shall use cellular skins C serum. I bought it 4-5 months ago and it is still totally white transparent. Just have to get over the texture Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi guapagirl!
I tried the make your own vit. c too but the glycerine made me break out. Apparently you can make it with just the distilled water and not use glycerin but I feel I would need something to deliver it to my skin. So I'm going to try making it using HA instead of the glycerin in tiny batches so it doesn't go off. I like the way HA makes my skin feel too. I found a site that has all the 'stuff' you need to make your own skin care products...bases and serums, L ascorbic acid, glycolic acid, matrixyl... you name it, and very cheap. They sell sodium hyaluronate very cheap, under $10 for an oz. which I think is the same as HA. (skinceuticals uses sodium hyaluronate in their C-serum as the base)
I made the DMAE/Lipoic acid/vit E cream using the smartskincare recipe and I LOVE IT! Saving loads of money that way too.
Anyway, thought I'd pass that on and good luck!
The site is http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy Very Happy

OOOh cheers for that Dianne! I wsn't too sure of the glycerin base either ...I had thought of using HA from dianayvonne as she has a 'pure' version, but i'll check out your site first. I am defo not going to buy C serum again Laughing

Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Guapagirl - have you tried Skinceuticals vit C serum? I had the same problem (going too dark too quickly) with my Cellex-C vit C eye serum - I ended up using it on my face just to use it up faster. Both the Skinceuticals and Vivier (especially Vivier) stay light for a much longer time. CSRx does as well but the texture of it is just not for me.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:11 am      Reply with quote
Skinceuticals was the first one I tried at 20% and it worked wonders, but it was still yellow after 3 months (I carried on using it Confused ), but not like the diannayvonne stuff (I think it is actually professional solutions, so I am doing her a disservice here). That was daaark orange yuk! I'm gonna finish off the cellular skin and then start making my own in small batches using HA. I am tempted to quit using altogether and just use the CPs, but they are awful under makeup so I'll stick with C for daytime Smile

5% products discount

Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:00 am      Reply with quote
I usually just lurk on the forum but I was just too excited about this topic and had to post. I checked out the website that Dianne posted and it looked really good. It would be great to be able to mix small fresh batches. I was a little confused about mix ratios. I am using PCA 15% C right now and am pretty pleased with it, but too me, fresh seems much better (and more economical). I also use a 20% glycolic cream and saw on the website that you could also mix that. But gee, its been so long since I was in school. The mixing to get the proper strength seems complicated. If you do end up mixing your own, please let us know how you go about it and how it turns out!

Roseana Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Roseana,

I had to laugh when I read your post because I am in the same spot as you. Math wasn't my strongest subject in school and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure it out.

I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed with the customer service at the site. I've emailed them twice asking how much of their 70%USP glycolic acid solution would I need to add to 1oz. of their base cream in order to get a 15% cream with an effective PH. I still haven't received an answer Crying or Very sad

However, I did search the site and found this...

Most ingredient amounts are calculated or expressed as a percentage of a batch by weight. To work out a percentage, take the size of your batch (in pounds, weight ounces or grams) and multiply by the percentage required.

For example if you are making a 1 lb. batch of cream and need to add 1% of an ingredient, you should first convert 1 lbs. to 16 oz. ( 1lbs. x 16 oz. = 16 oz.) and then multiply 16 oz. by .01 (1%) which gives you 0.16 oz or 4.54 grams.

If you are making a 1 lb. batch of cream and need to add 3% of an ingredient, you should first convert 1 lbs. to 16 oz. ( 1lbs. x 16 oz. = 16 oz) and then multiply 16 oz. by .03 (3%) which gives you 0.48 oz or 13.61 grams.

If you are making a 1 lb. batch of cream and need to add 5% of an ingredient, you should first convert 1 lbs. to 16 oz. ( 1lbs. x 16 oz. = 16 oz.) and then multiply 16 oz. by .05 (5%) which gives you 0.80 oz or 22.68 grams.

Don't know if this will help you. By my calculations, I would need .15oz of glycolic acid I think...but how does one measure out .15oz??? I'm starting to understand why we pay the big bucks to buy it already made.

Anyone here a chemist????
RNB68
5% products discount

Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:58 am      Reply with quote
Dianne,
I am so glad I'm not the only one with these questions! I did see the information on the % by weight and that made sense, however, how do you compensate for the fact that the glycolic is 70%? By adding 15% of the 70% acid by weight, I would think you would still you would end up with a smaller concentration? I would really like to figure it out as I'm also interested in the vitamin c possibilities as well. Too bad about the customer service, but who knows, maybe someone else will be able to help us out here Question

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I wish I had paid more attention in chemistry class when I was in high school Rolling Eyes

I wondered the exact same thing about the 70% part. Since it's not 100% glycolic acid, you'd wonder if it was actually a lower percentage in total???

The C serum is actually very easy to make. That one I can help you with Smile. Guapagirl kindly posted it on another post somewhere. All you do is add about 1/3 teaspoon of L-ascorbic acid to 1 teaspoon of distilled water. Mix it well. If it doesn't dissolve entirely, briefly heat the solution by placing the glass cup into a pot of hot water and mix until dissolved. Then add 1 teaspoon of glycerin. This will make a 12% serum. I've made it, it's a snap. keep it in the fridge and in an amber bottle, not a clear one.

I broke out terribly from the glycerin so I've made mine by substituting a bit of hyalruonic acid for the glycerin and it's working well. I make up about a week's worth at a time. I had to cut the vit c in half though as the 12% was too strong. I have sensitive skin so I'm hoping I can tolerate it now.
RNB68
5% products discount

Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:59 am      Reply with quote
Luckily my skin is not sensitive, so I'll give the c recipe a try. How has your experience been using the HA with the reduced c? When I apply my c cream, I get a tingling sensation. I kind of like it as, to me, it instantly indicates that the c is working. Do you get the same sensation with the homemade? Did you buy your ingredients from the website you posted? I noted from your earlier post that you had purchased the smartskincare recipie for the dmae cream. I was wondering if you were pleased with their formulas?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
I've only been using the c-serum with the HA a few days so far so time will tell. Yes I do get a bit of a tingling sensation when I use it.

I didn't use products purchased from the other site because I am still waiting for them to (hopefully) email me back with answers to my questions before I place my order. I want to buy the sodium hyaluronate from them as well as the glycolic acid and their base cream. I'm also mulling over whether I should purchase some matrixyl to add to my c-serum. Boy you could just go nuts with this!!!

I just purchased the L-ascorbic acid from my local health food store. I had him phone the manufacturer to make sure it was L-ascorbic and not some other form. I bought the distilled water and glycerin from the drugstore. All were super cheap, probably under $10 in total, so if you want to give the homemade stuff a try, at least you don't have much of an investment.

The advantage of using glycerine rather than HA is the low cost. However, when I was using the glycerine in the c-serum it felt like I had syrup on my face. Coupled with the fact that I applied it at bedtime and my cat sleeps near my head at night, I felt like I needed to shave my face in the morning. So for me, it's worth it to use the HA.

I really like the homemade DMAE cream. It was super easy to make although the DMAE and Lipoic acid capsules weren't cheap. However, I have enough now to make my own for the rest of my life I'm sure.
RNB68
5% products discount

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up about the cat. Mine sleeps by my face also and if I use a cream or serum that is too sticky too close to bedtime look out - furry face. I think I'll use the HA. I want to buy the glycolic, base cream and the multi lamellar cream. I wonder how reputable personalformulator is if they seemingly have such poor customer service. Still tempting though.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
At the risk of sounding like a complete dolt, what is multi lamellar cream anyway?
RNB68
5% products discount

Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure about the specifics on the multi lamellar. I found it appealing because the description said that it is stable for use with AHA's and also because the ingredients seemed more moisturizing. From the description, it sounded like a better media to deliver the active ingredients than the everyday cream. I was leaning towards using the everyday cream as a body cream and the multilamellar as a face cream. Perhaps I have just succumbed to clever marketing and perhaps it is I who is the dolt Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
Till then, I shall use cellular skins C serum. I bought it 4-5 months ago and it is still totally white transparent. Just have to get over the texture Confused

Sorry if you have mentioned it before, but what don't you like about the Cellular Skin C serum texture? Right now I am using a sample of Skinceuticals 20%, and I love the texture and the results Smile , but I am concerned about a full-sized bottle turning on me if I buy it. I was looking at Cellular Skin C serum as an option because it is more stable, but if the texture is not good, then I will reconsider the Skinceuticals.

Tina
Mabsy

Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
tinamarie8 wrote:
Sorry if you have mentioned it before, but what don't you like about the Cellular Skin C serum texture?

Tina,

I've tried this as well and prefer a different texture. It's really a matter of personal preference combined with skin type I guess. Skinceuticals has a very watery feel and when you put it on your skin and it dries, you don't feel like you have put anything on (or at least I don't). The CSRx serum has a more oily feel (although I don't think it's actually oily, it just feels like it?). HTH
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
tinamarie8 wrote:
Sorry if you have mentioned it before, but what don't you like about the Cellular Skin C serum texture?

Tina,

I've tried this as well and prefer a different texture. It's really a matter of personal preference combined with skin type I guess. Skinceuticals has a very watery feel and when you put it on your skin and it dries, you don't feel like you have put anything on (or at least I don't). The CSRx serum has a more oily feel (although I don't think it's actually oily, it just feels like it?). HTH

Thanks, Mabsy. Maybe I will buy a sample from Cellular Skin to try before I make any decision. I do like the SC 20 because it does feel like there is nothing on. I add SPF on top of it, and my skin is neither too oily or dry once it is time for makeup. I will try a sample, but I am leaning on taking a chance with a full-sized SC 20. Maybe if I take a little bit out at a time, put it in the little sample vial, and store the rest in a cool, dark place I can avoid it turning. I was planning on using it at least 5 days a week, so maybe the 1 oz. won't last long enough to turn anyway Exclamation

Tina
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
That's what I did with my 20% serum Tinamarie and it lasted ages without turning yellow. I've been using the cellularskin stuff for the last week and it is actually ok if you leave it for 10 mins before putting anything else on.

HTH, Liz

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
That's what I did with my 20% serum Tinamarie and it lasted ages without turning yellow. I've been using the cellularskin stuff for the last week and it is actually ok if you leave it for 10 mins before putting anything else on.

HTH, Liz

Thanks, Liz. I think that I will try a Cellular Skin sample before I buy the SC and then decide from there. Who knows; I may like the Cellular Skin serum Smile

Tina
Terihe
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I am from the makeupalley forum and I have the home made vitamin c recipie. This was formulated by on of the members who know their chemistry. The values are correct if you buy the a/a from the personal formulator. I have ordered from them and recieved excellent customer service and received the product in a timely manner. I like the recipe with the propylene glycol. It helps the a/a to absorb better and helps to preserve it better. You can get this through the personal formulator as well. If you find the recipe to be to much for 1 week divide the amounts in half. Make sure to disinfect your tools and storage bottle with alcohol and let completely dry. The ph of this serum is 2. Some people add a pinch of baking soda to bring the ph up a bit to around 3.2

10% Serum with propylene glycol

1/2 tsp distilled water
a/a 3 tsp water
1 tsp propylene glycol

20% Serum with propylene glycol

1/2 tsp distilled water
a bit more than 1.5 tsp distilled water
a bit less than 1/2 tsp propylene glycol

Dillute the a/a in the water first.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for 1 week

10% serum with water

1/2 tsp a/a
4 tsp distilled water

20% serum with water

1/2 tsp a/a
2tsp distilled water

Can be stored for 24 hours.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
What is a/a?

Thanks!
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
What is a/a?

Thanks!

I think it is ascorbic acid.

-Cheri
Terihe
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it is l-ascorbic acid.
Dianne
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
I take back my earlier comment about the personalformulator having bad customer service. I phoned them and they got right on it. I have asked the chemist several questions and he has gotten back to me with answers. (Although you practically have to have a chemistry degree to understand it)

I specifically asked whether their ascorbic acid was L-ascorbic and he said it has a specific rotation of +20.5 degrees to +21.5 degrees and is therefore dextrorotatory, D-ascorbic acid.
But I don't know exactly what that means???

Anyway, the customer service rep that I spoke with said that they will soon (any day now) be selling acetyl hexapeptide 3 (argireline) in premeasured amounts. She said the manufacturer was worried about people mixing it using the wrong amounts so that is why they are going with the pre-measured. So although it didn't work for me, if anyone wants to make their own with HA, you'll soon be able to buy it all there.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
This would be a good product if only my skin can tolerate it. It's too acidic for me. It stings and leaves it itchy.

I used the 10% with 3 types of Vitamin C in it. Didn't see much result but seemed like a good idea.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |