Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dukan diet
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried this? I started reading about it over the weekend and am intrigued... it's the French version of Atkins that promises permanent weight loss so long as you eat only protein one day a week for the rest of your life. I've done the Zone and Blood Type Diet for about a decade and don't need to lose weight; a fresh approach though would be great. I will probably only do the one day a week of protein, consolidation diet and one day a week cheat meal.

The book hits stores April or May and can be pre-ordered on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307887960/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=144471032X&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DNE37ZS3JW3RMX7PSDG

Jennifer Lopez and Giselle Bundchen did this diet to lose the baby weight.
http://www.healthhabits.ca/2010/05/31/the-next-big-thing-in-the-diet-world/

Here is the basic overview of the diet:

ATTACK PHASE:
Like Atkins, The Dukan Diet starts with a very strict ‘attack’ phase where you eat nothing but protein – just meat, fish, eggs and no-fat dairy products.

You can spend just one day here – or as many as ten days if you have a lot of weight to lose – and many people can expect to lose as much as 7lb in five days.

During this phase, eat freely any foods on the following list – eat as much as you want, whenever you want. You must adhere to this plan strictly.

CRUISE PHASE:
In Phase 2, you alternate pure protein days with days when you include a unlimited array of vegetables to your wide selection of meat, fish and no-fat dairy products. Expect to lose around 2lb a week.

The most efficient way to work this stage is to spend one day on the pure protein ‘attack’ diet (Phase 1), and the next on a protein and vegetable diet, switching between the two, one day at a time, until you reach your chosen weight.

CONSOLIDATION PHASE:
•Eat as much protein and vegetables (together) each day as you want without any restriction on quantity, time of day or combination.
•Add one serving of fruit per day (avoid high-sugar bananas, grapes, cherries, dried fruits and high-fat nuts)
•Enjoy two slices of wholemeal bread per day, spread with fat-reduced butter
•Have one serving (40g or 1.5oz) of hard cheese per day (but avoid blue cheese, soft cheese or goat’s cheese)
•Factor in one serving of ‘starchy foods’ per week in the first half of your Consolidation Phase, increasing to two servings per week in the second half. This includes pasta (225g or 8oz serving in tomato, not creamy, sauce and with no oil), couscous/polenta (225g or 8oz cooked in stock, not butter or oil), lentils, beans, chickpeas, rice (ideally brown) and potatoes (but only occasionally and without butter).
•Broaden your meat repertoire to include any quantity of lamb, roast pork and ham (remove all fat first) once or twice a week
•Let your hair down and plan and enjoy one celebration meal a week in the first half of the Consolidation Phase, increasing to two in the second half. In this meal you really can eat whatever you want – and you should choose something you’ve missed during the weight-loss period.

STABILISATION PHASE:
Go back to eating whatever you like, but continue to use the basic rules of the Consolidation Phase as a safety platform (eat unlimited protein and vegetables, one piece of fruit a day, two slices of wholemeal bread, a portion of cheese, two starchy foods and two celebration meals a week).

Keep this in mind as your point of healthy-diet reference, and use it as your safety back-up if you are under threat of regaining weight.

Pick one day a week – for the rest of your life – when you eat nothing but protein. This is the key that allows you to eat normally for the other six days of the week without putting any weight back on. (Drink at least two litres of water to flush the digestive system and reduce its craving for food)

Make a vow to walk (briskly) for 20 minutes every day, and never take a lift or step on an escalator. Going up or down the stairs makes the body’s largest muscles contract and, in a short time, uses up considerable calories.

Increase your daily oat bran intake to 3tbsp and stick to it for life.
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Gosh! I wonder if internet is something like the mind-blowing ideas that used to appear in different parts of the world before at similar timings! Like minds connected minds!
I have no idea about diets, don't know about the Atkins, -must check it out. But I can say that I have several friends on the Dukan diet... and they are doing very well!!!
I live in Europe and the friends I have doing it are very pleased, in fact I have stopped smoking about three months ago and I've adopted some of his recommendations to prevent putting on more weight and losing some, and I'm quite pleased with the results!!
By the way, the explanations you add about the 'diet' are very accurate, with all the main guidelines of the diet explained precisely!!! Very Happy
So, yes, the answer to your question is yes, I'm trying out some of the guidelines with good luck and I have two close friends having great success, at least to begin with..
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
^^^^ The overview is actually from the link... Embarassed I didn't actually write it. I thougth it would be easier for people who want the quick scoop on what it's all about.

Personally I haven't been this excited about a diet in years... at least since I first did the Zone in 1996. That diet was a magic bullet for me in my late 20s and I've relied on it a long time, but my needs in perimenopause have changed and I need something more flexible. Going to the store in a little while to pick up extra protein!
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
You make me laugh! Very Happy
Really, this Dukan diet thing is making me think!
I've actually only read the book this past week, -my friends book. And bought one myself to have to keep.
My friend has lost 7 kilograms in three weeks, without the face sagging which is what drew my attention! It must have something to do with keeping the good protein intake, which must keep the muscles in tone. (I think).
I've just started doing some of the recommendations, so far very pleased. I've lost some of my 'tummy' in just a few days by alternating one day protein only, protein-veg day after,... good thing is that I'm eating as much as I want as long as it is protein or protein plus veg according to the day...
My point is to go back to the weight before giving up smoking and staying there.
So far, I'm happy with the results because if I feel hungry as long as I eat proteins it doesn't seem to affect the weight.
One point, important though, if one starts on this diet from the beginning -attack- with a few days of it to begin with, constipation can be an issue, so a good laxative can be useful. The author actually mentions this issue in his book, and is one of the reasons he prescribes oat bran and water intake increase. The oat bran to create bulk plus a fat absorbing agent and the water for the kidneys to flush out toxins, litre and a half as a minimum.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
You make me laugh! Very Happy
Really, this Dukan diet thing is making me think!
I've actually only read the book this past week, -my friends book. And bought one myself to have to keep.
My friend has lost 7 kilograms in three weeks, without the face sagging which is what drew my attention! It must have something to do with keeping the good protein intake, which must keep the muscles in tone. (I think).
I've just started doing some of the recommendations, so far very pleased. I've lost some of my 'tummy' in just a few days by alternating one day protein only, protein-veg day after,... good thing is that I'm eating as much as I want as long as it is protein or protein plus veg according to the day...
My point is to go back to the weight before giving up smoking and staying there.
So far, I'm happy with the results because if I feel hungry as long as I eat proteins it doesn't seem to affect the weight.
One point, important though, if one starts on this diet from the beginning -attack- with a few days of it to begin with, constipation can be an issue, so a good laxative can be useful. The author actually mentions this issue in his book, and is one of the reasons he prescribes oat bran and water intake increase. The oat bran to create bulk plus a fat absorbing agent and the water for the kidneys to flush out toxins, litre and a half as a minimum.

Jorge Cruz has a diet called the belly fat diet. You may be loosing the tummy because you aren't eating much sugar. His diet is 14 grams suger/120 carbs per day. Really hard to do in regards to the sugar because just about everything has some. Good luck on the diet. I think I am going to give it a go as well. Love the idea of being able to have dairy even though it is non-fat stuff. Also glad to see I don't have to eat salmon, salmon, and then more salmon. Very bad experience years ago and to this day I can't look at salmon without my stomach turning over and over and over.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:28 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing Salmon, salmon, salmon, and sardines, sardines, sardines,.... tried that one for my eczema! Didn't do any harm, but found it hard to follow somehow, so just gave up...
Must look up about Jorge Cruz.
Also wanted to add that I decided I had to follow a "healthier" food intake a few years back, and increased my intake of fruit to 'five a day', which was and still hear it is a recommendation given about fruit... and... I blew up like a balloon in no time!! Sad I don't know if it was supposed to be healthy to blow up, but it freaked me out!!
Recently, last few years I mean, I had been focusing on lots of vegs, and was doing more or less fine, I've never really had much problem with weight, cut down on eating when I was over the top a bit and got back to normal, yet the little roll in the waist line has been settling down a bit more over time, and because of this Dukan diet thing/rave going on in Europe I have realised that I've left out the protein intake too much -practically no protein in days!, and increasing it is helping. And talking to bodybuilder friends they all enhance the increase in protein intake to make the muscles stand out, getting rid of fluid retention.

I'm actually getting quite hooked on learning more about where to be able to get a higher protein intake on vegetable sources, as I'm actually more of a vegan.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I'm actually doing the Consolidation phase at the moment, having lost 28lbs on this diet. As a bonus, the weight loss seems to have rid of me of fatty, rather than muscle tissue - so I'm looking much more toned and my cellulite has gone! (I am also exercising in conjunction with the diet, though.)
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Majorb, congrats!!! Very Happy
I don't know if it has been mentioned but the walking 20 minutes a day is a must and the intake of oat bran is also a must.
In fact, in the book he actually recommends certain exercises to do daily for the arms, middle waist, and inferior area, to prevent the saginess that could occur with weight loss.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
Majorb, congrats!!! Very Happy
I don't know if it has been mentioned but the walking 20 minutes a day is a must and the intake of oat bran is also a must.
In fact, in the book he actually recommends certain exercises to do daily for the arms, middle waist, and inferior area, to prevent the saginess that could occur with weight loss.

Waiting impatiently for the book to be released and mailed to me. I am in the process of getting rid of food in the house so I won't be tempted. By that I mean cooking or eating it. My HB will have to eat dirt or go on the diet with me. Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, ATester. Yes, the oatbran definitely helps in more ways than one. As for the exercise, I tend to do more than the minimum 20 or 30 mins and vary it so that I don't become bored.

Frodo - I cook the same things for both my husband and myself, but I add carbs to his on my non-carb days.
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I pre ordered this for my cruz ereader. I,m excited. Has anyone tried magic noodles? No carbs or calories. I really like them, i use them for 1 meal a day usually lunch. Very filling. The only thing is you have to follow prep directions to a t or they smell fishey. They are some kind of a plant rootwww.magicnoodle.com

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I did two days of protein & yesterday protein and veg... wow, I feel great! I don't need to lose weight though and so am going in to consolidation/stabilization.

Have been discussing this on another board and the problems of ketogenic diets came up which I was not that familiar with...
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet

The Ketogenic Diet is the first and only book to objectively examine in-depth the scientific evidence regarding low-carbohydrate/ketogenic diets. It is meant to be a reference manual for low-carbohydrate diets; it is unlike any other book on low-carbohydrate diets that you have ever read or seen.

I'm actually having some chili with beans and meat a little later on & pizza tomorrow.

However I'm impressed with the pure protein day thing... really seems to work. Can't wait for my book to get here.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Everybody has a gimmick. I think what every diet has in common is making you eat fewer calories than what made you fat in the first place. My boss lost weight by just eating half of what he normally did. Portion control is key! Weigh and measure all your food and you will know for sure what you are eating. Most underestimate.
rmc7
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
ATester wrote:
Gosh! I wonder if internet is something like the mind-blowing ideas that used to appear in different parts of the world before at similar timings! Like minds connected minds!

Someone once told me that is called morphogenic resonance. I think that is what brought me to this website!! I actually looked it up but reading the definition gave me a migraine. I can't wait for this book.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:33 am      Reply with quote
What's wrong with everything in moderation and lots of exercise. These diets don't seem like a very natural approach to eating IMO.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
What's wrong with everything in moderation and lots of exercise. These diets don't seem like a very natural approach to eating IMO.

Oh probably. I'm a fan of regimes/protocols, probably always will be.

Am very happy with this approach so far except for the dairy.... Sad For me it doesn't and never will facilitate weight loss. I may just use it on protein only days or just a little slice of cheese here or there. Yogurt, kefir and cheese on a daily basis makes me feel bloated.

I made the Dukan pancake which is really easy and delicious:

3-4 tablespoons of oat bran
2 egg whites
dash of salt
package of Truvia if you like a sweet taste

Fry in a little ghee or butter, flip and serve with a little butter and Truvia if you like sweet tastes.

Use a whole egg and just salt for a chewier texture.

Very filling and relieves constipation.

Tomorrow is protein day!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Gretchen but that sounds horrible!!! Laughing I'd rather just eat an apple. But I find all this banning of certain foods very confusing. I really need to lose some weight at the moment and had a consultation at a gym - the trainer gave me the diet list which included no fruit for six weeks. I just happen to think that's crazy, so I decided against the whole thing. Really, in my case, I don't think it's what I eat that's the problem, it's lack of exercise.

BTW, I looked up Truvia and there seems to be some concerns about it (but, yes, I know there are concerns about everything!). http://side-effects.owndoc.com/truvia-side-effects.html

Still, I worry about the safety of these sugar alternatives. Personally, I can't stand the taste of Stevia so I use Splenda. I wish I didn't have to, but I can't stand tea or coffee without the sweetness.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
Sorry Gretchen but that sounds horrible!!! Laughing I'd rather just eat an apple. But I find all this banning of certain foods very confusing. I really need to lose some weight at the moment and had a consultation at a gym - the trainer gave me the diet list which included no fruit for six weeks. I just happen to think that's crazy, so I decided against the whole thing. Really, in my case, I don't think it's what I eat that's the problem, it's lack of exercise.

BTW, I looked up Truvia and there seems to be some concerns about it (but, yes, I know there are concerns about everything!). http://side-effects.owndoc.com/truvia-side-effects.html

Still, I worry about the safety of these sugar alternatives. Personally, I can't stand the taste of Stevia so I use Splenda. I wish I didn't have to, but I can't stand tea or coffee without the sweetness.
You should try Agave Nectar http://www.allaboutagave.com/agave-vs-granular.php
I am trying to loose weight as well - is a nightmare specially that in my case is the diet . I am not sure what I am doing wrong as I really eat healthy , no sugar , no white flour ..Ok some wine Wink and I am not really ready to give up on that . Anyways I think that is the metabolism ... I tried this diet and for me is just torture - I like vegetables and fruits ..Sad
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
talyta wrote:
I am trying to loose weight as well - is a nightmare specially that in my case is the diet . I am not sure what I am doing wrong as I really eat healthy , no sugar , no white flour ..Ok some wine Wink and I am not really ready to give up on that . Anyways I think that is the metabolism ... I tried this diet and for me is just torture - I like vegetables and fruits ..Sad

I like vegetables and fruits too - and can't possibly see why you shouldn't eat them. I also like a glass of wine in the evening and cake and coffee when I'm out and about! But I think life is too short to not do the things that you enjoy. Overall, I eat pretty healthily - I just need to exercise more. I do walk allot. But I had to stop doing my intense workouts because of a knee problem.

I'll look into the Agave - thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
talyta wrote:

Have you tracked your calorie intake? Even if you eat healthy foods, the bottom line (and what still matters the most) is calories in versus calories out. You can be eating fruits, vegetables, etc. and still be overeating for ones activity level.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Have you tracked your calorie intake? Even if you eat healthy foods, the bottom line (and what still matters the most) is calories in versus calories out. You can be eating fruits, vegetables, etc. and still be overeating for ones activity level.

Absolutely - this is the only answer to weight-loss - you've got to be using up more energy than you're taking in.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
talyta wrote:

Yes Rilley - I guess that is one of my problems portion size Sad ... i wish I can blame everything on my age (47) ;)and on premenopausal thing . I am also exercising lots so I don't look bad - kind of everything in place and no cellulitis as well still I would like the perfect figure Smile .. And the exercise sometimes makes me soooo hungry that I am really not sure if that is a good idea
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
talyta wrote:

Yes Rilley - I guess that is one of my problems portion size Sad ... i wish I can blame everything on my age (47) ;)and on premenopausal thing . I am also exercising lots so I don't look bad - kind of everything in place and no cellulitis as well still I would like the perfect figure Smile .. And the exercise sometimes makes me soooo hungry that I am really not sure if that is a good idea

LOL. Don't feel bad. We are the same age, and I would also love to blame everything on my age and being perimenopausal (well I actually do blame a lot on them!!). I just brought it up because portion size is also My problem and the only time I have been able to lose the weight was when I reduced the portion sizes way down!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
talyta wrote:

I like vegetables and fruits too - and can't possibly see why you shouldn't eat them. I also like a glass of wine in the evening and cake and coffee when I'm out and about! But I think life is too short to not do the things that you enjoy. Overall, I eat pretty healthily - I just need to exercise more. I do walk allot. But I had to stop doing my intense workouts because of a knee problem.

I'll look into the Agave - thanks!

Argh! I'd just typed a long reply but the site is playing up and I lost it.

To very briefly sum up at least part of it, the reason why fruit is discouraged during the Dukan diet is because it contains so much sugar, which can be a stumbling block for those who want to lost weight and keep their sugar levels down.

For me, at my age (nearing menopause), this is the only diet which has worked for me. I'm now slim, fit and shocked the nurse during my annual asthma check with how much healthier I now am. I can breathe properly again, hurray! Very Happy
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I thought that about the Truvia, bought it in a pinch. Need to get over to Whole Foods for stevia.

Yes, I agree exercise is important. But.... if you go through a period where all you do is walk... and don't have a gym membership... and don't lift your weights at home.... and are Blood Type O...

The next best bet is to load up on protein and cut back on carbs! I limit myself to one piece of fruit and at most 3 prunes a day if I am constipated year in and year out. I eat a little more fruit in the summer so I agree and disagree.
I am also not going to give up fruit for weeks on end, but use it carefully and try to keep my protein intake high to keep my metabolism going, since I am in a non exercise phase.

The Dukan pancake is actually quite good!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |