Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS THIS NORMAL to have wrinkles at 30??!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I am 30 years old and I was wondering if this was normal? I have so much little wrinkles on my cheeks. This is a picture of me when I am smiling normally. Is this what happens when you turn 30? Or is there something wrong with me?

PLEASE HELP!

I eat generally healthy and drink a ton of water daily... Is there a product I can use that will repair my skin so it looks plump once more? Or am I a lost cause?

* I tried to post a picture but am unable to. Any suggestions on what I can do?
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
It may be because you're a new account.

Try typing in a link, like to a flickr account where the photo is.

You won't be able to actually ink to it - because you're a new account, but we can cut and paste the address into our browsers.

edited to add:
I just looked at your other post. It sounds like dehydration lines, but it also sounds like you're getting enough water. SO, I'm not sure.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Would you mind sharing your skin care routine?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:35 am      Reply with quote
Here's a picture of my wrinkles Sad
Is this normal for someone in their early 30s?

To view the picture, please type in flickr[dot] com into your browser and then copy & paste the rest of the link

/photos/59712714@N07/5461155548/

so the link to my picture is flickr [dot] com/photos/59712714@N07/5461155548/

Sorry, this is so complicated... Since I am a new member, I'm not allowed to post external links Sad
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:43 am      Reply with quote
My skin care routine is pretty basic.

Morning:
Cetaphil to wash my face
DIY Vitamin C
Lotion (Murad)
Cream (Creme de la Mer)
Sunblock (Shisheido)

Evening:
Oil to wash off sunblock and makeup
Evening primrose oil
Lotion (Murad)
Cream (Cerme de la Mer)

Is there something I'm missing?
grhawk
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:30 am      Reply with quote
freckles00 wrote:

Morning:
Cetaphil to wash my face
DIY Vitamin C
Lotion (Murad)
Cream (Creme de la Mer)
Sunblock (Shisheido)

Evening:
Evening primrose oil
Lotion (Murad)
Cream (Cerme de la Mer)

I don't know much about all these products but my general advice would be: ditch the cetaphil because it will damage your skin over time. It has detergent and other nasties. Replace with dianayvonne.com rosehip cleanser, it has no detergent,perfect ph, and no nasties. I would ditch the creams and lotions too. They may contain damaging and nasty ingredients. I have never heard of the sunblock but the same goes there as well. Vitamin C can be very irritating as well so that may be the problem too. Greg
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:35 pm      Reply with quote
freckles00 wrote:

Morning:
Cetaphil to wash my face
DIY Vitamin C
Lotion (Murad)
Cream (Creme de la Mer)
Sunblock (Shisheido)

Evening:
Evening primrose oil
Lotion (Murad)
Cream (Cerme de la Mer)

Looks like you have a pretty good routine going. The only thing I see missing is a vitamin A product. Either something like Retin-a or an over the counter retinol.

I looked at your photo and you don't look like you have tons of wrinkles to me.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Freckles,
I agree with Girlie Girl. I would definitely add a retinoid to your routine.

Also, are you using anything for exfoliation i.e. AHA's which would allow your current products better penetration?

Not sure about your creams and lotions... but sounds like you are using some quality products.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe your moisturizer is not absorbing well enough?

I know La Mer- it contains petroleum jel in it and usually stuff with petroleum/mineral gel for me anyways it seems to make my skin feel dryer and products do not moisturize enough.

I am trying to use an all natural face cream made with aloe and jojoba and plant oils and that works well for me.

I even tried a body lotion that was fragrance free and organic on my face (it was a very light product- deep steep body lotion), and had no problems with that at all.

I don't know though,this is just a guess.
using things that are more natural is prob better for you anyways.

Burts Bees also has some nice products.
From Burts Bees I had a travel face kit and that was nice, but I also have here the Macadamia oil body balm and have tried using that on my cheeks and it made them very moisturized and not oily.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm it's hard to know what's "normal" and what's not. It's possible that you need a stronger moisturizer. You can try Kiehl's midnight recovery. It's a very concentrated serum containing essential oils to combat wrinkles and dryness. My mom uses and there's barely a wrinkle on her
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Thank you GirlieGirl. Maybe I just need to stop freaking out for a minute and gain some perspective Smile

I have used Retin-A for a bit not too long ago but it dried out my skin so much and I felt like my fine lines were getting more prominent. Maybe it's time to give it another go?
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kims Smile

I exfoliate maybe 2-3 times a month. My skin is pretty sensitive I'm afraid if I exfoliate more than that, my skin will react adversely. Do you think I should be exfoliating more frequently?

*sigh* I am spending way more than I want on lotions and creams but I keep thinking, more expensive the product, better results I'll get...

But obviously, that's not the case for my fine lines Laughing
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:49 am      Reply with quote
freckles00 wrote:

I have used Retin-A for a bit not too long ago but it dried out my skin so much and I felt like my fine lines were getting more prominent. Maybe it's time to give it another go?

This is very common when starting retin-a. Your skin may look worse before it gets better. It can be helpful if you start off slow, using every 2-3 days at first. And be sure to start off with the lowest % also.
Josee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:03 am      Reply with quote
freckles00 wrote:
Hi Kims Smile

I exfoliate maybe 2-3 times a month. My skin is pretty sensitive I'm afraid if I exfoliate more than that, my skin will react adversely. Do you think I should be exfoliating more frequently?

*sigh* I am spending way more than I want on lotions and creams but I keep thinking, more expensive the product, better results I'll get...

But obviously, that's not the case for my fine lines Laughing

It seems from the picture that you have quite a bit of sun damage? The part you show sees to have quite a bit of hyperpigmentation (brownish spots). Is this the case?

For your routine the things I would suggest are:

a. Stop cleaning your face in the morning with cleansers. You don’t need it. Whatever you use it will at least slightly disrupt your skin. Just wash it with water and a face cloth.

b. You need to start using Retin-A. Especially with the undereye area, you should start VERY slowly… using 0.01% every other day for a couple of months, then 0.01% every day for 4 months and then slowly going up to 0.025%. It will look more wrinkled for a while. You can put it at night when you get home (after you wash your face) and then right before going to bed you can put a moisturizer so your skin doesn’t look so dried up.

It’s hard to tell because you’re smiling, but do you have a noticeable tear trough? If that’s the case, you might consider fillings, which will help with the wrinkling as well.

And of course… the most important thing… no more sun. Apply sunscreen every day (even in cloudy days) and every 2 hours if you’re outside. In fact, if you’re outside, use a hat with a wide brim.

Hope this helps!

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
yup i agree, Retin-A would help and EGF too !!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I believe you are smiling in this pic. So of course you will have little wrinkles. Like Josee, I see sun damage/hyperpigmentation, which is common among women of Asian heritage. Sunscreen, sunhat, parasol or umbrella...every single day of your life.
I'd ditch the Cetaphil and the LaMer. Both are overly hyped and not that effective. The Retin-A will help but only, as Josee says, at .01 to begin with.
I also think a peptide cream or serum would help, preventively at least.
I bet the other three quarters of the image show a really pretty lady!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Antonia wrote:
I'd ditch the Cetaphil and the LaMer. Both are overly hyped and not that effective.

I couldn't agree more, esp. given how expensive LaMer is and how little proof we have that it actually does something.

Retin-A is the way to go Smile

37, light brown hair, green eyes, very fair skin. Oily T zone, broken capillaries... Current regime: Tretinoin 0.05% every night, hydroquinone 4% twice per day, lachydran every other day, random moisturizers and sunscreen
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Freckles,

If hyperpigmentation is your chief complaint, have you looked into Obagi Nuderm? There are many, many forum members who have used this with great success.

It's not an easy program at all, so please do your research! There are several related threads on EDS you can search.

Also, it's really best to consult a derm or plastic surgeon before embarking on Nuderm.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Josee, I have huge tear troughs Crying or Very sad
They were always slightly visible, even when I was a child.
But they became very visible after I lost wight on my face
(due to getting older, I suppose...)

I don't want to try fillers yet and was hoping face exercise might alleviate the problem a bit. I started ageless a few days ago and I'm crossing my fingers!
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
queenielau718, what is EGF?

And will using retin-a get RID of the wrinkles?
Or just diminish it?
And I long will it be since I see some visible results?
(So I have a time frame in mind and I won't drive myself nuts if I don't see results in a few weeks)

And yes, no more la mer after I'm done with my current jar. And no more cetaphil as well! I'll just use water in the morning Smile

Thank you Antonia for your very kind comment
Very Happy Can you tell me a little bit more about the serum you're recommending? and peptide cream is copper peptide, right?
freckles00
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I used to have a lot of sun damage (even more than what you see in the picture) so I had a round of fraxel laser treatment done. I was anxious to get rid of my wrinkles as well as improve my very noticeably sun damaged skin.

Fraxel left me with blotches of hyperpigmentation every where Crying or Very sad

But even more than the hyperpigmentation, I'm bothered by the fine wrinkles... I regret my childhood where I spent countless hours out in the sun without sunblock. But I do religiously wear it now

I don't think my face is strong enough to go through obagi yet. Maybe once it recovers and becomes stronger, I can try...
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Freckles...NO! Please not copper peptide. It may work for some but I've seen people develop some looseness and lines as a result of using this. I'm thinking more of Matrixyl or a combination of peptides with Matrixyl. I'm using Nuvocare's Skin-Minus (I just reviewed it.) It's pretty packed with actives yet seems to be very gentle on the skin.

If your wrinkles are as teeny weeny as they appear in your photo, then the Retin-A, over time and at gradually increased strength, could indeed get rid of them. If the wrinkles are deeper though, at best, it will lessen (soften) them. I would honestly give it six months to a year as anything that truly increases collagen takes time to do so.

Smile Hope that helps.

freckles00 wrote:
queenielau718, what is EGF?

And will using retin-a get RID of the wrinkles?
Or just diminish it?
And I long will it be since I see some visible results?
(So I have a time frame in mind and I won't drive myself nuts if I don't see results in a few weeks)

And yes, no more la mer after I'm done with my current jar. And no more cetaphil as well! I'll just use water in the morning Smile

Thank you Antonia for your very kind comment
Very Happy Can you tell me a little bit more about the serum you're recommending? and peptide cream is copper peptide, right?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:22 am      Reply with quote
Hahha, thanks antonia for clarifying the peptide question Laughing
I just automatically assumed cooper peptide since I hear people mention it a lot on EDS.

I'll definitely check out your review of Nuvocare's Skin-Minu.

I just started retin-a last night and it feels REALLY GOOD to know that I'm doing something that will get rid of my fine lines eventually, you know, like knowing that I'm headed in the right direction Smile

Thank you so much for everyone's advice!!!!!!!!!!
Antonia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Copper peptide works very well for some and not for others. A reader of mine just had a really nasty experience after using it, in the form of deep vertical lines. She stopped and they are now beginning to go away. Other people swear by it. That said, I am glad you are starting with Retin-A. Even at a lower strength, I would still only apply every 2-3 days to begin with just to determine how your skin will react. Also, be sure never to forget your sunscreen as it does cause photosensitivity.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:30 am      Reply with quote
worse when it's getting ready to peel. I've used it my whole life (started using for acne), now I use it on my neck. I'm documenting a week by week photojournal on my blog and you can see just before peeling and right after. I LOVE it, it's the only thing proven to actually rebuild collagen but you have to be willing to stick to it.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |