Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the difference between Glycolic & Lactic Acid
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:31 am      Reply with quote
This past year, I have changed my daily method of skin care. I thought with the use of Clarisonic, prescribed RetinA, Vitamin C serum only was enough for me.
I've cut out of using physical scrubs, enzyme scrubs, Juice Beauty peel, and getting regular microdermabrasion and IPL facials.

After a year, I can see that I still need some sort of good exfoliation to maintain good skin tone, I find that my skin is dull and those tiny red lines on my nose is back.

I met someone very briefly who has beautiful skin. She told me that she gets regular peels done professionally. She said it made a huge difference. She also suggested that I use those Olay peels, but when I went to the drug store, I didn't know which one to purchase. There seem to be different variety of peels from Olay.

Since Kate Somerville scrubs & Deep Tissue Repair with Peptide did really well for me in the past, and Juice Beauty peel, also an enzyme scrub, I want to use all of that again, but there is so many products to use.

I would like to narrow it down.
Now, Kate Sommerville has these new lactic acid peels & glycolic peel. What is the difference between the two? Juice Beauty peel has BHA. How do I decide which I should use for an aging acne prone person who is now suffering from dull skin?

Then, what is peptide? Is that what help fade those tiny red lines I have on my nose?

Please help me save my skin & get back that luminous skin I had without using so many products.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Makeupartistschoice.com has some good descriptions on the different acids for peels. Lactic is more mild and hydrating than glycolic acid. BHA is salicylic acid, which is normally used for oily/acne skins, though I think there have been some studies showing it has an effect on aging skin. I think it is a personal choice, and trial and error to see which peel works well on your own skin.

Peptides are usually used for wrinkles. Whether they work or not is up for debate. This may help you understand them though. http://thedermblog.com/2008/06/23/do-peptides-in-skin-care-products-work/
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Thanks riley! I certainly felt overwhelmed with all these products. I am glad to know that I was able to see that my skin still need extra help. I want to try one of those peels and maybe that would be enough.

Is anyone in the same situation as myself where you found out that you can't live without additional exfoliation but you are tired of all the extra products you have to use?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Yeah I agree... it's just so time consuming to add like 5 different products. I just prefer to use an AHA cream now so I can just put moisturizing and exfoliation into one step and save time.
lvnatural

Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
Defintely go for lactic acid if you want extra hydration and a gentler peel/exfoliation. Glycolic is a good basic AHA from sugar and salicylic is great for purifying your pores from oil and debris but the best overall acid/resurfacer IMO is TCA. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:10 am      Reply with quote
yes, sometimes i found Glycolic acid is too strong, i got my skin burn for couple time.

lactic acid is better.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 am      Reply with quote
lvnatural wrote:
Defintely go for lactic acid if you want extra hydration and a gentler peel/exfoliation. Glycolic is a good basic AHA from sugar and salicylic is great for purifying your pores from oil and debris but the best overall acid/resurfacer IMO is TCA. Very Happy

I'm a fan of Lactic Acid Peels - Lactic Acid is actually considered good for the skin and it's already present in our bodies. I use the 65% one from Makeupartistschoice.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

I'm a fan of Lactic Acid Peels - Lactic Acid is actually considered good for the skin and it's already present in our bodies. I use the 65% one from Makeupartistschoice.

What is your skin type? I found that a 30% glycolic had no effect but the 50% glycolic gave me skin burns on areas prone to hormonal break out such as chin and nose.

I also have rosacea. So I want to try a Lactic Acid peel because I am hoping for something gentler (with no burning) and hydrating, but I have no idea what strength I should try. Since you use 65% I am wondering what your skin type is (sensitive? was glycolic too harsh for you?).

Thanks!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
BelleFlower wrote:
Keliu wrote:

What is your skin type? I found that a 30% glycolic had no effect but the 50% glycolic gave me skin burns on areas prone to hormonal break out such as chin and nose.

I also have rosacea. So I want to try a Lactic Acid peel because I am hoping for something gentler (with no burning) and hydrating, but I have no idea what strength I should try. Since you use 65% I am wondering what your skin type is (sensitive? was glycolic too harsh for you?).

Thanks!

My skin can be sensitive - high percentage glycolic skin creams can be aggravating, although I have no trouble with Retin-A.

I find the 65% Lactic Acid stings like hell when I apply it!! I only leave it on for three minutes and have never had any bad after effects. However, if you're at all worried, I would start off with a milder acid and work your way up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Would Mandelic Acid peel be even better for a sensitive skin?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Would Mandelic Acid peel be even better for a sensitive skin?

Yes, mandelic peels can be a bit gentler, but as always, it depends on your skin
BelleFlower
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

My skin can be sensitive - high percentage glycolic skin creams can be aggravating, although I have no trouble with Retin-A.

I find the 65% Lactic Acid stings like hell when I apply it!! I only leave it on for three minutes and have never had any bad after effects. However, if you're at all worried, I would start off with a milder acid and work your way up.

Ah, Ok, so maybe I should try a 50% Lactic. Thank you!

Hi RussianSunshine! I tried Mandelic acid peels but I didn't like them. They just didn't seem compatible with my skin. They either didn't do anything or just irritated my skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |