Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vitamin C serum - concentration and ingredients
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CLxx
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 am      Reply with quote
I cannot find l-ascorbic powder or crystal in my hometown so that I just DIY my C serum by dissolving 3 Vit C tablets (500mg of ascorbic C each) into 30ml of distiller water followed by a drop of E oil. My questions are :
1) Can I use C tablet instead of C crystal or powder ? I once read of a C mask recipe which uses Rexadon - the orange drink once melted in water.
2) What is the concentration level of my mixture ?

THZ.. Surprised

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:03 am      Reply with quote
No, you can't use food grade, you must use cosmetic grade ascorbic acid. Especially not tablet as they have fillers.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 am      Reply with quote
you can order it online at skinactives.com
nucleus

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I use NOW LAA vit c crystals. I tried a simple recipe with just water and I think I may be missing an ingredient because after application, it left sort of a white-ish cast on my face.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
^ I use laa vit c crystals diluted in green tea or water and sometimes other ingredients and have never experienced any white cast - and my skin is dark so I'd see it!

Does anyone else get a white cast with their vit c?

I'm wondering whether yours contains fillers.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
nucleus

Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
^ I use laa vit c crystals diluted in green tea or water and sometimes other ingredients and have never experienced any white cast - and my skin is dark so I'd see it!

Does anyone else get a white cast with their vit c?

I'm wondering whether yours contains fillers.

Hi LoriA,

Mine doesn't contain fillers or any preservatives. It's food grade and 100% vegetarian/vegan. Maybe I added too much of the crystals and not enough water? I was thinking of adding vegetable glycerin as the third ingredient. What do you think? Once I get the proper formula for my skin, I will start adding actives like ferulic and other antioxidants.
nucleus

Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA,

I just made another batch and this time I nailed it. The first time I didn't add enough water to dissolve the crystals. Now I have to figure out what actives and anti-ox I want to add Very Happy
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I cannot find l-ascorbic powder or crystal in my hometown so that I just DIY my C serum by dissolving 3 Vit C tablets (500mg of ascorbic C each) into 30ml of distiller water followed by a drop of E oil. My questions are :
1) Can I use C tablet instead of C crystal or powder ? I once read of a C mask recipe which uses Rexadon - the orange drink once melted in water.

1. Not a good plan.
2. 1.5 grams of C[ with fillers] in 30 mls....you need about 4.5 grams LAA to get a 15% in 30 mls.

You can save yourself a great deal of grief, pain and guesstimating by purchasing a jewelers scale. Something that will measure to 0.01grams...because once you start with DIY it's pretty addicting.

Take a look at Kassy_A DIY CE and F serum. It's an excellent place to start.

One thing to note, not all LAA are the same, different grinds, will give different volumes and that tends to chuck any sort of vague accuracy out the window.

For a 15% of 30 ml volume, serum no matter what else you put in there. For the backbone of it, The LAA will require 4.5 grams, the Ferulic Acid 0.15 grams and the vitamin E 0.3 grams.

Don't know about you....but I am pretty crappy at eyeballing those measurements.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi nucleus, I'm glad you sorted it out. I'm no expert here so can't be of much help, but I recall reading that people do use glycerin with it. As you can see though, there are several others here who can give very knowledgeable advice!

If you have the patience, also try skimming the vit c serum diy'ers thread for ideas. Its only 59 pages. Bad Grin

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Revlon

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I just love this thread...High five to all of you for being so smart about your skin care:

Here is a summary of all this Vitamin C hype--

TA--Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
AP--Ascorbyl Palmitate
MAP--Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate
LAA--L Ascorbic acid
AAP--Aminopropyl Ascorbyl Phosphate

Solubility: LAA and MAP are water soluble while TA,AP and AAP are lipid soluble

Stability(shelf-life): LAA<AP=MAP<AAP<TA

Potency to induce collagen as opposed to only melanin production inhibition: TA>AAP>AP>MAP> LAA

Irritability index: LAA>MAP=AP>AAP=TA

Absorbability: Water soluble more quickly than lipid soluble but lipid soluble stay longer in skin and penetrate deeper.

Ideal concentration required to be topically effective: TA(7%),AAP(3-5%),AP(1-2%),MAP(10%), LAA(10-20%)

SAP(Sodium Ascorbyl Phoshate): water soluble, max concentration used on skin 5%, not very well studied yet.

Ester C is calcium Ascorbate (used in oral supplements) while C ester is Ascorbyl Palmitate (used in cosmetics)

Best usage of Vit C is when mixed with Vit E and Ferulic acid(derived from Rice bran Oil). For acne prone skin, use a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in the cocktail. People with oily skin should use oils with caution as it can clog pores. It is said that Jojoba oil, borage oil and vitamin E oil are very low on comedogenicity score.
Cat_eyes
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
CLxx wrote:

THZ.. Surprised

Lotion crafters has the ultra fine LLA which is what I use. I have heard of people using vit C pills; but you shouldn't. They contain fillers like gelatin. Furthermore, there formulated to digest in the body not to penetrate the skin. That being said, its pretty possible that the product would not be effective.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
Good post which I really need after I ask questions about vc serum. However, it is just still nobody tell me whether I can use it in daytime? I am just wondering whether I need use sunscreen if I use vc serum in daytime? Confused
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
angeladayspa wrote:
Good post which I really need after I ask questions about vc serum. However, it is just still nobody tell me whether I can use it in daytime? I am just wondering whether I need use sunscreen if I use vc serum in daytime? Confused

Yes, you can use vit c serums in the daytime. And yes, you still need sunscreen. Vit c serums do not replace sunscreen. Just apply the sunscreen over the vitamin c serum, it's usually best to wait about 15-20 minutes before applying sunscreen.
angeladayspa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:39 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
angeladayspa wrote:

Yes, you can use vit c serums in the daytime. And yes, you still need sunscreen. Vit c serums do not replace sunscreen. Just apply the sunscreen over the vitamin c serum, it's usually best to wait about 15-20 minutes before applying sunscreen.

Thanks Shasta!
Does that mean if without sunscreen,my face will easily get yellow...thanks
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
angeladayspa wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:
angeladayspa wrote:

Thanks Shasta!

I've used many types of vit c serum both DIY and ready-made. They have never turned my skin yellow.

Without sunscreen, you could get sunburned, tan or develop freckles, depending on your skin type.
angeladayspa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
angeladayspa wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:
angeladayspa wrote:

Thanks Shasta!

I've used many types of vit c serum both DIY and ready-made. They have never turned my skin yellow.

Without sunscreen, you could get sunburned, tan or develop freckles, depending on your skin type.

Thanks Shasta! Excellent explanation for me! I would use sunscreen even I just go for work.
laurah952

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I just made a batch of Dr. Kassy's 1oz C,E, Ferulic 15% and have a few questions.

The ingredients:
- 2 glass shot glasses
- 1oz cobalt or amber dropper or pump bottle
- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) Vitamin E (equals 1%)
- .5% of Ferulic Acid (1 good pinch)
- 2 tsp SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
- 3 + 1/2 tsp of distilled water
- 1/2 tsp of vodka (don't laugh, you need it to dissolve the FA so it's not gritty, and it also keeps the ph low enough!)

I followed the directions meticulously and found a 2.0 PH. Is this too low? My face doesn't really burn. The only thing that may be off is the "pinch" of Ferulic acid.. could you tell me if it would be ok to use 1/4 tsp?

My skin also felt a little tight, and slightly sticky (like aloe gel)for about 1/2 hour. Is that a problem if it doesn't bother me? How can I raise the PH if it starts to burn?

I should also let you know that I only had a bottle of purified water, and it contains some calcium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. Should I get distilled? Are these minerals a problem?

I really appreciate any advise you can offer!

Thanks,
Laura
discosharona

Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all!!
I bought Vitamin C powder at 'The Fruitful Yield' (a health food store in Chicago) but I'm sure you could find the 'NOW' Brand vitamins at a local drug store or GOOGLE it online! **NOW is the brand of Vit.C powder I use, along with NOW brand Vitamin E Capusles when I use them.
I found the powder to be of good quality and the price is RIGHT ($11 and some change!)
I also use glycerine in my Vit C serum and sometimes I'll add Vitamin E from the capsule to it..
I hope this helps someone!

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! About a Vitamin C Recipe- if you go to the dermarolling site (I cannot refer to a webpage according to EDS rules) where Sarah Vaughter has a recipe on page 17 under "dermarolling instructions." She explains why regular vitamin C is useless in a oil based carrier. However, Ester Vitamin C (vitamin C joined together by a chemical bond with a fatty acid from palm oil) is oil soluble and absorbs easily into the skin. (from what I remember in esty school).

The biggest obstacle to penetration of any product is:

1. The stratum corneum ( the top layer of the epidermis) Its job is to be an active barrier. Removal of the stratum corneum by laser, chemical, or mechanical methods enhances absorption. (Perhaps a scrub with Clarisonic).
2. The Acid mantle of the skin, pH wise.

Absorption of anything through the epidermis depends on the size of the molecule, the pH of the product and the carrier- oil or water plus the above mentioned skin situations.
havana8

Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Sparrow1956 wrote:
Hi! About a Vitamin C Recipe- if you go to the dermarolling site (I cannot refer to a webpage according to EDS rules) where Sarah Vaughter has a recipe on page 17 under "dermarolling instructions." She explains why regular vitamin C is useless in a oil based carrier. However, Ester Vitamin C (vitamin C joined together by a chemical bond with a fatty acid from palm oil) is oil soluble and absorbs easily into the skin. (from what I remember in esty school).

Hi Sparrow1956, Just an FYI that you should be able to post links once you reach 10 posts. HTHs and welcome to the forum. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |