Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
What can I make with these items
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Starbright
5% products discount

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I have received all of my ingredients now and hopefully will have a go with a few recipes tomorrow.

I have a hypoallergenic simple lotion containing these ingredients and wondered if it would be ok to use as a base;

Aqua
Petrolatum
Isopropyl Palmitate
Paraffinum Liquidum
Glyceryl Stearate
Ceteth-20
HypoallergenicAnhydrous Lanolin
Phenoxyethanol
Methylparaben
Hydroxyethylcellulose
Carbomer
Propylparaben
Sodium Hydroxide
BHT

I have the following ingredients and am going to try to make a Vit C serum andthen a cream to help with general aging skin. My skin is a little loose from losing weight lately and always looks just a bit tired and dehydrated, although not dry or flaky. If anyone can point me to suitable recipes I would be grateful and I will read through the recipes section as well.

Ascorbic acid
Ferulic Acid
Hyaluronic Acid
Palmitoyl Pentapeptide
Idebenone
Green Tea EGCG
Alpha lipoic Acid
Anti-Oxidant Booster
Sea Kelp Ultramarine

Avocado Virgin oil
Palm oil

I thought I read on one of the threads that Anti-oxidant booster could be used in place of Vit E in the Vit C serum, but now I can't find it again.

Thanks for all the really helpful information on here, but it does become addictive reading.....lol
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
A starting point is to sort your actives by...

Solubility and effective pH

Once you know that you'll know which actives you can use together to create products. There are also two very simple things you can do for your skin. Your base sounds fine but for formulating you need to have some way to measure the pH of your final product to ensure its effective. Buy some litmus paper, its cheap and invaluable. You can adjust pH with citric acid and baking soda, both are harmless on your skin and ensure your formulations have the right pH to be effective.

1. Start drinking coconut water, you can find it cheaply at any asian grocer. The frozen kind is best but even the canned variety is usable. Coconut water is particularly good for hydration as it contains all the mineral salts your body needs with little calorific value. It hydrates better than water.

2. start a program of once per day facial massage to get the circulation and lymph moving which assists with skin rejuvenation. Dont do more than once per day or you risk stressing our skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Ascorbic acid
Ferulic Acid
Hyaluronic Acid
Palmitoyl Pentapeptide
Idebenone
Green Tea EGCG
Alpha lipoic Acid
Anti-Oxidant Booster
Sea Kelp Ultramarine

Avocado Virgin oil
Palm oil

I'd add an emulsifier to the mix, will make DIY much easier and more fun for you. Could scratch the base cream if you chose.

You can make a nice Prevage knock off from that. C serum, anti ox cream.

A hydrating antioxidant misting spray.

You might want to consider a Vitamin A form that you can tolerate and possibly vitamin B3. Both are work horses in the arena of healthy skin and repair.
Starbright
5% products discount

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:19 am      Reply with quote
Thank you both for the inforamtion. I do use 0.05% Retin A at night and have never had any irritation or peeling issues with it.

I made a C serum yesterday but because of the ingredients I used, ie Sea Kelp ultramarine and anti-oxidant booster, it turned out an amber colour. I was worried that I wouldn't know if it had ever oxidised.
I am still working out the best recipes for me to try.
I am going to try a day cream using Kassy's firming cream recipe. I don't have all of the ingredients, but will see what I can come up with.
I know that C serum should be ph3, but should day creams have a set ph value. I don't think I have read that on any of the threads. Smile Thanks
Starbright
5% products discount

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I have reposted as requested. Sorry I put this in the wrong place.

Hi all,

I think I have finally worked out my recipe for anti aging/hydrating cream. I wonder if someone would give it a check for me and just make sure I am not doing anything unsafe with it.

Base cream 60mls (2oz I think)
2 tsp Avocado oil
1/2 tsp Alpha Lipoic Acid
1/2 tsp Green Tea Extract
1/8 tsp Idebenone
1 ml Palmitoyl Pentapeptide 3
2 squirts anti-oxidant booster
1/4 tsp Hyaluronic Acid
1/4 Tsp Ferulic Acid

I think that is 20% actives. Please correct me if completely wrong.

My base is a moisturizer from the 'Simple' range UK. Ingredients are:

Aqua , Glycerin , Coco-Caprylate/Caprate , Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Stearyl Alcohol , Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane , Stearic Acid , Panthenol , Polyacrylamide , C13-14 Isoparaffin , Methylparaben , 4-Methylbenzylidene Camphor , Bisabolol , Pentylene Glycol , Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate , Laureth-7 , Disodium EDTA , Propylparaben , Lactic Acid , Sodium Lactate , Serine , Sorbitol , Urea , Citric Acid , Pantolactone , Sodium Chloride , BHT , Allantoin .

Sorry to keep posting and asking, but it is all so new to me. Thanks
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
Go here...http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Calculators/Batch_Size_Calculator.aspx

It will help...but you will also have to consider that you are dealing with powders of different densities. Generally that is NOT a problem, so long as you have a scale that can measure that low.

As for the combination? You have a lot in there, and it might not be a bad idea to try them one at a time as opposed to all at once. If you react to anything, then you will know most likely what the problem is, or you will know that something in there is reacting with another active and is not going to be helpful to you.

Is your HA powder form or a serum you have already prepared? It can go with most actives.

Idebenone is quite a potent active on its own.0.5% to 1.0% max...after that causes problems for many.

Green Tea extract, should be about 5% of a formula to get the benefits of it, other wise not enough. Not me saying that, information from clinical trials saying that. It needs to be standardized to 95% as well...otherwise, not so useful.

ALA can also be used up to 5%....but in combination with other actives in an unknown, and that's where you get to test it on yourself to see if it works for you.

Palmitoyl Pentapeptide 3 a signal peptide of unknown concentration.

You can choose to use them at clinically effective levels...and something will most likely happen, or you can mix them in and see what happens.

I would suggest the Idebenone to startb 0.5% in 60mls would be 0.3 grams...and if you can find it, retinyl palmitate, gentle vitamin A form, the parent of the retinoids. It will do more good for your skin then the most of the rest in there.

http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1988/cc039n04/p00235-p00240.pdf

The skin requires vitamin A E and C to do it's work of repair, without those three...the antioxidants can't do as much. Retinoic acid, as in Retin A, is the end point, and cannot be reconverted in the skin...it does a great job...but the other esters are not available...so...it's your skin. It's your call.

Keep it simple to start, get a scale. Use the tried and true recipes....then get fancy. It's a great deal of fun.

I like Kinetin as well as Idebenone they are very effective IME. However, they get their own separate serums/ lotions to exert their effects. Easy to make from scratch as well...just need a few basic tools and off and running.
Starbright
5% products discount

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. I just get so excited when I find something that I'm really interested in that I get too ambitious, too quickly.
I appreciate all the information you have given me and will try a simple mix, perhaps using the Green Tea extract,HA and maybe the Palmitoyl Pentapeptide. I might also make up a seperate cream with the Idebenone on its own, just to give it a try.

When you make various creams, serums etc, do you alternate the days on which you use them. I use Retin A at night, so don't want to add to my night time routine. Exclamation
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:15 am      Reply with quote
My routine is pretty basic, although my actives generally not, but not rocket science either.

AM: MAP serum, taking a break from LAA as the exfoliation was getting a bit much. MAP provides the same benefits of LAA without the exfoliation.

Then...a ZnO sunscreen. { you should always wear an SS, rain or shine ]

PM: OCM , an emulsified version with E and A. Gentle on the skin and reduces trans epidermal water loss. Something that cleansers seem to exacerbate. Use a microfiber cloth some nights and others not.

Then a night serum. Often times, Idebenone/ B3 and NAG [ niacinamide and N-acetyl D glucosamine} and A and E.

OR when I am done with that bottle...I alternate with Kinetin and B3, E

2-3 nights a week Retin A 0.05% ...over that 30 mins later or so , a serum or lotion with the previous actives.

Glycerin...something you might like to take a longer look at. Very helpful for the skin and very inexpensive. Not too much....depends on your skin.

Avocado is a lovely oil and I use it in my SS as it is very emollient, however much of the time, I prefer Borage oil because of the high GLA content. Does a great deal for the skin.

DIY is a lot of fun, and the best part, it is very effective.

You could make your own cream base, choose your oils and distilled water, emulsifying wax and do the whole 9 yards of it yourself. It's very easy.

You can even make your own LaMer knock off...and use far nicer algae extracts. Easy.

If you make your own base cream, you have more control over the final outcome.

Aqua
Petrolatum
Isopropyl Palmitate
Paraffinum Liquidum
Glyceryl Stearate
Ceteth-20
HypoallergenicAnhydrous Lanolin
Phenoxyethanol
Methylparaben
Hydroxyethylcellulose
Carbomer
Propylparaben
Sodium Hydroxide
BHT

Much of that cream is just fillers. If you are not allergic to Ewax...which is rather bland stuff....you can create something far more nourishing for your skin.

Just an idea.
Starbright
5% products discount

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I'm learning.... Smile Thanks.

Have you had any experience with CP's. I ordered a batch of stuff from SB some time back and used the AM still using Retin A PM.
I found that my skin was becoming even more dehydrated and definately not looking good. I stopped the cp's and skin began to spring back. My question is, is it possible to add a small amount of cp's to a base cream to reduce the strength or would this just be a waste.
I have a whole lot of cp's sitting doing nothing and I hate waste.
Starbright
5% products discount

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:40 am      Reply with quote
OK,

I have had an afternoon of formulating my very first potions. (well, not the first, but I had to ditch my first C serum).

I used Kassy's recipe for the C, E and FA serum. I still could not get the FA to dissolve fully, so after 3 hours in cold vodka, I strained it through some sterile muslin. I figured that it would have at least ssome dissolve FA in it. I used an Vit E capsule (pure) and the serum turned out well with a ph of 3.2. I hope that is ok.

I then used my natural base cream to make a moisturiser. I used

50mls of base cream
1% Hyaluronic acid
5% Green Tea extract
2% Palmitoyl Pentapeptide 3
I squirt Anti- oxidant booster.

I used one of the calculating sites to work out the amounts. I have tried the cream and my skin feels quite taught, but looks well moisturised. I will see what happens in a couple of days time. Thanks
Starbright
5% products discount

Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:45 am      Reply with quote
Well, I have been away for a while and am still using my cream. My skin feels moisturised and has not had any adverse reaction to the ingredients.

I have however stopped using the C serum for a while as I found my skin went uncomfortably tight after using it. I am wondering if it is just too much when I am using Retin A 0.05% every night.

I have also just had a delivery of essential oils and am going to try an oil moisturiser as my skin soaks in anything I apply to it. I have avocado, grapeseed, jojoba and rosehip and might try a mixture of these as a base oil. This is all quite addictive Smile
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I have however stopped using the C serum for a while as I found my skin went uncomfortably tight after using it. I am wondering if it is just too much when I am using Retin A 0.05% every night.

Retin A exfoliates and C exfoliates...and I too couldn't do it continuously either. Skin became too sensitive to the combination. Might want to reduce either the Retin A to several times a week and C the other days in the AM.

Was helpful for me...I have switched to MAP for the time being, but will switch back to the C E FA again.
Quote:
I have also just had a delivery of essential oils and am going to try an oil moisturiser as my skin soaks in anything I apply to it. I have avocado, grapeseed, jojoba and rosehip and might try a mixture of these as a base oil. This is all quite addictive Smile

Might want to take a look at an emulsifier. Then you are making your own lotions and bases. 100% DIY...like you said, it's addictive. Smile
Starbright
5% products discount

Fri May 06, 2011 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I have been at it again today. My cream is still working well and I made up an oil moisturizer today as follows. If anyone could give opinion I would be grateful.

15mls Sweet Almond oil
10mls Argon oil
10 mls Jojoba oil
5mls Avocado oil
5mls Rosehip oil

3 drps Carrot seed oil
3 drops Palmarosa oil
3 drops Neroli
3 drops Frankincense
2 drops Rose Otto
1 drop Patchouli

The oil feels really good on my skin and soaks in well.

I also had a go at making a cold cream using the recipe below.

Distilled water: ¼ cup
Borax: 1/8th teaspoon
Glycerin: 1 teaspoon
Beeswax grated: 2 Tablespoons
Olive oil: 3 Tablespoons
Almond oil: 2 Tablespoons
Avocado oil: 2 Tablespoons
Grape seed oil: 1 teaspoon
Rosehip oil: 2 teaspoon

I melted the Beeswax and oils whisking at the same time and then mixed the other ingredients in a seperate bowl. I heated the water mixture and combined the two by whisking together.

I haven't used it yet but the mixture looks quite yellow in colour and a little harder than the cold cream I bought. Again, could someone have a look and let me know what you think please.

thanks x
Starbright
5% products discount

Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to bump this up, but is there any way to rescue my cold cream that you know of. It does the job but is very crumbly.

The oild is working well and I had a compliment today from someone who said my skin looks really clear/ I was really pleased with this.
Starbright
5% products discount

Thu May 19, 2011 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Well, I just wanted to update you on my first recipes.
The oil is working beautifully and seems to have eased a coiuple of dehydration lines I had on my cheek. As a first attempt I am really pleased!

The cold cream is another matter. My skin seems to like it, but my carpet doesn't and it crumbles when I try to use it with bits everywhere.... Laughing I think I will have another go at this as my skin seems to like cold cream as a cleanser.

My shampoo was a bit of a disaster. I used castille soap as a base with a couple of the essential oils for thinning hair and when I used it, my hair looked like a drowned rat afterwards, so any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks to all you clever people on here for the input and all the great threads........you cost me a fortune.... Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |