Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skincare advice you wish you followed/knew about in your 20s
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Leeners

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm curious what people on the boards wish they had done for their skin when they were younger. I'm sure many people would say sun protection, but what else? Are there any products you wish you knew about when you were younger?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm still in my 20s, so I have nothing I have to share lol but I'm definitely interested in what others have to say!
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I've been using sunscreen for as long as I can remember and daily even in the winter since I was 18, but it doesn't prevent all damage. So... I wish I had started tretinoin a couple years ago to repair/prevent damage. Oh, well, it's already helping a lot, and another few months will probably do the trick!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:21 am      Reply with quote
Yes, sun protection for sure. I didn't start daily SS use till my late 20's. I wish I would have started much earlier.

The only other thing is antioxidant serums.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:15 am      Reply with quote
Retin-a. Wish I had skipped outdoors university; sunscreen would have helped but I prefer a more vampire like approach. Wish I had tinted my car windows, etc.
Dee28
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I'm 30, but used sun protection, retin a, aha's all through my 20's (started in my late teens actually)! But then again my skin was not your typical teen/20's plump youthful skin, it was prematurely damaged by sunbeds.

But if there is any product I wish I'd used in my 20's it probably would have been azelaic acid (skinoren/azelex/finacea). I only discovered this topical recently when my doc prescribed it for rosacea.

Azelaic aicd is quite a multi-faceted treatment which helps with inflammation, (especially rosacea) is anti-keratolytic so smooths the surface of the skin and minimizes pores. It is also antibacterial so great for breakouts and can help improve uneven pigmentation due to it's anti-tyrosinase activity.

I often mix the azelaic acid with tretinoin to enhance efficiacy, reduce irritation and improve penetration.
clustersof3
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Non-chemical sun protection - I skipped sunscreen because it made my super oily skin break out. Now I realize it's the chemical sunscreens that cause the reaction - for me, anyway.
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
clustersof3 wrote:
Non-chemical sun protection - I skipped sunscreen because it made my super oily skin break out. Now I realize it's the chemical sunscreens that cause the reaction - for me, anyway.

Try the mineral sunscreen, it can be either translucent powder or with different shades; it got protect skin from UVA and B and also keep your skin from producing excessive oil
karenlee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 am      Reply with quote
I tried using SS when I was younger (47 now) but it wasn't convenient while diving or sailing. So I'm now treating sun damage especially on my chest.

But you know what? I wouldn't change it for anything, I had a FABULOUS time collecting this sun damage!! Laughing
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:19 am      Reply with quote
I am 25, and I know its very important developing good skin care habits during the twenties! This will help you to preserve the beauty of your skin and delay signs of aging. A basic skin care routine for everyone in their 20’s should include cleansing, toning and moisturising the face twice a day. Sunscreen should be applied after your regular skin care routine.
clustersof3
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
karenlee wrote:
I tried using SS when I was younger (47 now) but it wasn't convenient while diving or sailing. So I'm now treating sun damage especially on my chest.

But you know what? I wouldn't change it for anything, I had a FABULOUS time collecting this sun damage!! Laughing

I couldn't agree more, here's to fun in the sun - Cheers!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Sunscreen way earlier, I'm 57 and sundamage stinks! Not so much on my face but my arms have damage big time.

I wouldn't have started Retin A at 20 (unless acne was an issue) but wish I had started sooner than a few months ago.

Vitamin C started in mid-late 30's.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
hhm wat about Idenobene? I heard it's a great antioxidant out there? Even better than Vit C and all that? And stem cells? I'm 29 now... Is it really necessary to use retin a as i dont want any redness and peeling...
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Idebenone is nice, but there's more research supporting Vit A and to a lesser extent, Vit C.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:57 am      Reply with quote
rockhugger wrote:
Idebenone is nice, but there's more research supporting Vit A and to a lesser extent, Vit C.

Agree on the Vitamin C, but I have been one of the lucky ones that it's worked well for. Making it fresh is great and so much less costly. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in my 20s and i use sunscreen everyday. So I'm on the right track! Thanks for sharing Very Happy
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
Wish I could say the same. Got back in to spending time outdoors in my 30s, a lot of outdoors mall stuff. Big waste of time. The outdoors thing I would do now is a trip to the Caribbean or maybe Europe or NYC. Otherwise forget it.
karenlee wrote:

Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Bump.

Honestly, I wish I had started using vitamin C much earlier. Ascorbic acid is a miracle worker for my skin.
carlingus
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
Bump.

Honestly, I wish I had started using vitamin C much earlier. Ascorbic acid is a miracle worker for my skin.

May I ask, what vit c serum or product are you using on your skin?
riverdance
5% products discount

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
What age does sun damage start showing up? Im in my mid 40s and haven't seen any yet. Is there anything I can do now to reverse it?
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
If I only knew how much smoking damages your skin when I was 20.

I'm 43 and I'm sure that if I had stopped smoking back then my skin would be looking much younger.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:19 am      Reply with quote
carlingus wrote:
Chlorophyll wrote:
Bump.

May I ask, what vit c serum or product are you using on your skin?

I use DIY l ascorbic acid with mixed E, ferulic and Q 10.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Staying out of the sun more, and going to the derm sooner for acne. The scars are still there.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
Staying out of the sun more, and going to the derm sooner for acne. The scars are still there.
alienoreo
5% products discount

Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 am      Reply with quote
I wish I'd known that washing my face repeatedly in the hottest water I could stand, steaming my face, and aggressive scrubs were really, really bad ideas. At 44, I don't have much in the way of wrinkles but I do have nests of enlarged and broken capillaries all over my cheeks and nose that no cream will fix.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |