Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
How has your skin changed since using sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:54 am      Reply with quote
This question was brought up as I was reading another topic talking about what kind of advice people would give to people in their 20s and pretty much everyone stressed the importance of sunscreen. I was wondering if anyone's skin dramatically changed through this religious use of sunscreen?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
This question was brought up as I was reading another topic talking about what kind of advice people would give to people in their 20s and pretty much everyone stressed the importance of sunscreen. I was wondering if anyone's skin dramatically changed through this religious use of sunscreen?

I would say that it's a preventative measure against skin cancers, and hyperpigmentation, age spots. Sunsreeen hasn't changed my skin but I would hate to see what my face would look like if I hadn't started years ago faithfully applying sunscreen. All I need do is look at the skin on my arms which I neglected to see what a
difference sunscreen vs. no sunscreen makes!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I feel skincare is really synergestic. For me total sun avoidance combined with skin renewers has helped. I like sunscreen and use it-- have my zinc on now in fact-- but I don't rely on it to fix my skin.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:56 am      Reply with quote
It is a preventive measures for dark skin pigmentation. Avoid sun exposure while in your 20's and if you do that, your skin will thank you for it...

oasisjc wrote:
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:41 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:

Sunscreen, IMO, cannot cause any dramatic change in one's skin. It is to help protect against the aging rays of the sun - that is all (again IMO). I definitely think it can prevent skin aging to some extent - we are all going to age and get wrinkles and sag. That is just a fact of life. Using sunscreen can slow that process down.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Years ago when I'd broil on the beach, I noticed I started getting a melasma mustache. I immediately started wearing sunscreen and eventually the "mustache" disappeared so that tells me my skin repaired itself.
clare77
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Yes, very much! First for the worse, then for the better. When I started using a sunscreen seriously (that is aside from the occasional spf 15), my skin looked awful after one summer. I now believe the SS was unstable. I got terrible hyperpigmenation and I actually think the SS made photo-damage worse rather than preventing it. After fading the hyperpig, I switched to all mineral/physical SS and that has really improved my skin. I have gotten more compliments in my 30s than my 20s on my skin since I started using mineral SS everyday Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:44 am      Reply with quote
I have been using sunscreen since I was a kid! My mom made sure I did so to prevent from getting freckles like her. So I can't really say how has my skin changed since using sunscreen.

What I DO notice is that when i DONT put sunscreen on, (sometimes when I get lazy or when I am out of the sunscreen I normally use) I get more pimples.

Don't know why that happens!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
I have been using sunscreen since I was a kid! My mom made sure I did so to prevent from getting freckles like her. So I can't really say how has my skin changed since using sunscreen.

What I DO notice is that when i DONT put sunscreen on, (sometimes when I get lazy or when I am out of the sunscreen I normally use) I get more pimples.

Are you sure they are pimples? I've never heard of the sun causing acne before Shock
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I never heard of that before either!
but it does aggravate my "occasional" acne problem when I don't put sunscreen on.

Maybe it accentuates my acne scars making it look like I have more blemishes on my face?

edit: but actually I am almost certain that every time I don't put on sunscreen for more than a week I get more pimples.... Plus the darkening of my acne scarring. So my skin actually looks WORSE when I don't put on sunscreen =P

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:

Are these actually pimples, it could possibly be mild sun poisoning? I know my mother developed a case in her mid 40's that only appeared on her chest with sun exposure, they looked quite like pimples. Just a thought.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think its from sun poisoning. I live in Vancouver... I don't get enough sunlight to get poisoned from the sun haha!
and I do avoid sun exposure, like I wouldn't deliberately expose myself to the sun. I try to hide in the shade especially when I know I don't have sunscreen on.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
I don't think its from sun poisoning. I live in Vancouver... I don't get enough sunlight to get poisoned from the sun haha!
and I do avoid sun exposure, like I wouldn't deliberately expose myself to the sun. I try to hide in the shade especially when I know I don't have sunscreen on.

Well sounds like it's not then, I am stuck in Florida and hide from the sun too! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Are you using physical sunscreen? I know that the Zinc in physical sunscreens can help with acne
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
hey! that may be it!! I am not sure if the one i use is physical sunscreen! I will check when I get home from work tonight!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
hey! that may be it!! I am not sure if the one i use is physical sunscreen! I will check when I get home from work tonight!

That should be it.

My skin has also changed after using physical sunscreen- I rarely have any acne now. But that could be just because I got older.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:24 pm      Reply with quote
Using sunscreen will protect the skin that you already have, but it won't changed the "damaged portion of your skin" but it will stop it from getting worse.

oasisjc wrote:
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
My skin can become more sensitive from using sunscreen.
I am trying to use more mineral sunscreen and natural things and that helps a lot.

Usually even when I was younger I used sunscreen a lot on my arms,legs,face,hair/scalp..I used to work outtside a lot and spend a lot of time outside.

If I don't put on sunscreen now on my face,arms and feet during the summer..my arms and feet can burn very badly just waiting for the bus outside for 20 minutes.

where I live is not that warm but the sun is very strong.

I don't use sunscreen on my legs all the time though...but my legs don't really burn.
But still the skin on my legs looks awful to me-I had a allergic reaction to some medication two years ago and it left my skin looking really blotchy and I think a light tan looks better.
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:01 am      Reply with quote
What is a good physical sunscreen?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:45 am      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
What is a good physical sunscreen?

Depends what your requirements are. I like Devita Solar Spf 30, many prefer BurnOut, but there are loads more. If you have access to MUA, check out zincsunscreens NP (she lists and describes all the commonly availaple physical SS).

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:18 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Are you using physical sunscreen? I know that the Zinc in physical sunscreens can help with acne

I'm a only use physical sunscreen on my face from now on.

Is juice beauty physical?
I used to like that one but forget now.

Right now usually use Colorescience powders...
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:16 am      Reply with quote
My freckles disappeared, which I actually didn't want, I think they added something to my face. But sun protection is more important.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:40 am      Reply with quote
It is my humble opinion that after using sunscreen my skin has improved dramatically. I feel it does more than just block damaging rays. I think it protects the skin so it can regenerate..especially if you're using anti aging products..it gives them a chance to work..instead the dermis always responding to uv damage. I know that is subjective. But that is what I've experienced.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:07 am      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
It is my humble opinion that after using sunscreen my skin has improved dramatically. I feel it does more than just block damaging rays. I think it protects the skin so it can regenerate..especially if you're using anti aging products..it gives them a chance to work..instead the dermis always responding to uv damage. I know that is subjective. But that is what I've experienced.

I think that's very true... a lot of anti-aging and scar-removing products don't work unless sunscreen is applied afterwards. That's why I asked this question to see if people saw any noticeable results Smile
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
I believe that as well now..

I don't have anything too significant to add here but after going through my entire life not using ss (on my face, at least), I'm a little surprised at how well the stuff works! I have brown skin and didn't realize that anything but direct sun made any difference - I can go shades darker in just 15 minutes in direct Vancouver sun! My approach was just to wear hats and be very careful to keep out of the sun.

Anyway, I've been using ss for just 3 or 4 months and I can already see a difference in my pigmentation - there's actually a bit of a "whiteish" cast (which isn't product). Its just my sun-starved face, lol!

I know this isn't v interesting, but to me its kind of fascinating. I didn't realize that the little daylight or indirect sun I get made any kind of visible difference and laughed at people who draw their shades, tint their windows & hide inside. Now I realize that sunlight is TRULY powerful.

p.s. Ava, I'm sorry to hear about you losing your freckles! What a shame.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |