Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Laser worth it for facial redness?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 am      Reply with quote
I have a couple of capillaries near my nostrils and my dermatologist suggested laser for them as well as the surrounding areas which have always been a bit reddish,which is why I use foundation. Is this worth doing or is it only temporary? Do I need to ask her if she uses a specific type of laser?

If this has been discussed on another thread, please post a link.
fulloflove2
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
I got scared from lasers. It might not scar you though. Vessels came back too.
InSweetTime
5% products discount

Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hhhhmmmm.....laser and light devices are used to intentionally destroy the skin in order for it to remodel collagen also known as scar tissue. I would think that destroying blood vessels that provide blood to your skin structure and perhaps your underlying fat system would not be a good idea.

I would love to hear from others.....
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:33 am      Reply with quote
IPL is used for broken capillaries and is a very effective treatment. They can come back though, especially the ones at the base of the nose. However, they are never as bad. My face used to be full of broken caps and I have had several IPL treatments over a long period of time. As a matter of fact, I'm booked in for one tomorrow as I also like the way the treatment evens out my skin tone.

The most important thing is to go to someone who is qualified and reputable, preferably in a doctor's clinic.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:43 am      Reply with quote
I had 3 IPL treatments over the space of about 4-5 months last winter. I had it mainly for broken caps on my cheeks and nose and chin. I loved the results!!

It did hurt!! and I swelled like a balloon under my eyes especially but it worked! My caps are gone and it really evened my skintone.

I have however read some horror stories on lasers, but I just think you have to use someone reputable. I would definitely do it again.
BelleFlower
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I had some laser done (don't know what kind) for one very badly broken dark capillary on my forehead. It took two zaps. Doctor iced it first. And it was completely gone after the second zap.

I had photo light laser done for my rosacea (4x) and it didn't do anything for it. But I think it may not have been strong enough because I never felt anything, even during the procedure.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Sounds promising. So I need to make sure my derm uses IPL for redness? She charges $150 "per area" but I don't know how big that area is.
fulloflove2
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
InSweetTime wrote:
Hhhhmmmm.....laser and light devices are used to intentionally destroy the skin in order for it to remodel collagen also known as scar tissue. I would think that destroying blood vessels that provide blood to your skin structure and perhaps your underlying fat system would not be a good idea.

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
fulloflove2 wrote:
InSweetTime wrote:

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

This is completely inaccurate. The blood vessels do not get destroyed. What happens is that the build up of blood at the surface of the skin gets dispersed. IPL also has NO impact on fat. Radio Frequency treatments are the lasers that effect fat.

IPL lasers have been used for years in the medical field to remove cherry angiomas and birth marks etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:43 am      Reply with quote
I'm just back from my treatment - I had my whole face done. It wasn't nearly as bad as the others I've had. It was a new machine, $380,000.00 worth - so maybe the new machines aren't as painful plus it has an attachment that you hold which blows out cold air as you're being zapped. It really helps to take the sting away.

At the end of the treatment I was covered in red welts but they put make-up on me so when I walked out the door you really couldn't tell I'd had anything done.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
fulloflove2 wrote:
InSweetTime wrote:

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%

This is completely inaccurate. The blood vessels do not get destroyed. What happens is that the build up of blood at the surface of the skin gets dispersed. IPL also has NO impact on fat. Radio Frequency treatments are the lasers that effect fat.

IPL lasers have been used for years in the medical field to remove cherry angiomas and birth marks etc.

Agreed! I was going to say the same thing but I was at my post limit yesterdays (which for some reason seems to be 4 rather than 5 posts per day). Smile

People use lasers to reduce broken capillaries which if left untreated can actually start to destroy your skin matrix (or in the best case scenario get worse and look horrible).
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:09 am      Reply with quote
If a doc has the old fashioned IPL that stings, do they at least put a topical numbing agent on your skin? If not, would it be advisable to do it before you go in?
3rd.oculus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I'm just back from my treatment - I had my whole face done. It wasn't nearly as bad as the others I've had. It was a new machine, $380,000.00 worth - so maybe the new machines aren't as painful plus it has an attachment that you hold which blows out cold air as you're being zapped. It really helps to take the sting away.

At the end of the treatment I was covered in red welts but they put make-up on me so when I walked out the door you really couldn't tell I'd had anything done.

What was the name of the laser they used?
Pluto
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys, just had vbeam and Restylane-L at my Derm's.

I've had life-long problems with my skin. Let's say I never looked good. I had rosacea since grade school. And I got chicken pox at 55 which left facial scarring.

I just had vbeam and it chipped away at the rosacea redness and veins, after that I had a numbing cream and then Restylane-L (with lidocane is the new formula)for the scars (a couple of deep ones, and many small ones). Derm also put some into nasolabia folds. All the scarring was on that lower part of my face.

Well, I know I will swell up overnight (I've had vbeam before; true this time it didn't hurt as much at all, so maybe it was a new, less-aggressive setting. But it looks like it was effective). But I think I will have a very good-looking Tuesday (this is Friday afternoon; I was treated this morning).

I just put on my eyeglasses and I usually hate how I look in them. But suddenly I look rested, just as the derm said I would from the Restylane. And the rosacea is dispersing, too.

Glad I did it
Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Then why come IPL is causing fat loss in a lot of people that have had treatments. There is a forum just for people that have been damaged. A lot of the people are getting fat grafting done because of the damage.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
If a doc has the old fashioned IPL that stings, do they at least put a topical numbing agent on your skin? If not, would it be advisable to do it before you go in?

I did ask to have a numbing cream put on - and then afterwards I discovered they'd charged me $35.00 for it!! If I get it done again, I'm buying and applying my own numbing cream - it was only Emla that they used.

Sorry, I don't know what the brand name of the machine was, just that it was IPL.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
fulloflove2 wrote:
Then why come IPL is causing fat loss in a lot of people that have had treatments. There is a forum just for people that have been damaged. A lot of the people are getting fat grafting done because of the damage.

I'm well aware of that forum - it's full of horror stories. However, if you look up any type of medical treatment, you will find someone who has a complaint. Just have a look at realself.com

The important thing to remember is that nothing in life is 100% safe - NOTHING. If you are intending on getting a laser treatment. Go to a clinic where there is a doctor. Have a consultation where you can ask all the questions you want and ask them to do a test shot so that they can analyse your skin.

I've had numerous IPLs, one Pearl Laser and one Thermage treatment. I have been perfectly happy with all my treatments.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I hadn't heard of these fat loss horror stories. I've only heard that the treatments work on some and not as much on others. Is the fat loss common?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Fat loss in what area? Shock
fulloflove2
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Fat loss is happening more and more. It is very scary. One of my good friends had to get fat implants because she had so much fat loss. Her skin looked old and sagging 6 months after treatment. She was changing by the day. All she did was cry. She knew something was wrong but she had never heard of the fat loss until she did a search on the internet. All of sudden pitted scars and sucken in spots started happening her. I have the pitted scars that came from lasers and now I am too scared to get anymore treatments after what happened to my friend. We went to 2 different drs too. I also know this lady that had 1 IPL treatment down in Fl and she got fat loss.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm, maybe I'll wait until they invent something better.
AprilRain

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:53 am      Reply with quote
Top dermatologists use the Vbeam for broken capillaries as it seeks red. It is a much better option over the IPL. Some doctors use the IPL as a "hammer" and everything is a nail. Plus it saves them money.

Of interest, an interview on BellaSugar has Dr. Obagi saying IPL is aging. I can't post a link but it is easy to google.

As to the broken capillaries being destroyed, here is a quote from the Cosmetic Laser Industry
the vessels absorb this energy they heat up and are destroyed. Over time these vessels are reabsorbed by the body and disappear. Some patients may experience slight bruising at the site where the vessel was destroyed, this bruising will fade within a few days.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:26 pm      Reply with quote
AprilRain wrote:
Top dermatologists use the Vbeam for broken capillaries as it seeks red. It is a much better option over the IPL. Some doctors use the IPL as a "hammer" and everything is a nail. Plus it saves them money.

Of interest, an interview on BellaSugar has Dr. Obagi saying IPL is aging. I can't post a link but it is easy to google.

As to the broken capillaries being destroyed, here is a quote from the Cosmetic Laser Industry
the vessels absorb this energy they heat up and are destroyed. Over time these vessels are reabsorbed by the body and disappear. Some patients may experience slight bruising at the site where the vessel was destroyed, this bruising will fade within a few days.

I had my IPL re-done today, because I wasn't happy with the first treatment and still had some broken caps that hadn't gone away.

I asked the doctor if the laser destroys the blood vessels and he said that they DO NOT get destroyed. The blood vessels lie deep beneath the skin, the little capillaries that you see on the surface have broken away from the blood vessels - that is why they're called "broken capillaries". He said if the blood vessels were destroyed then skin would die because it would not be getting any food or oxygen from the blood.

5% products discount

Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Maybe you should seek out a doctor who does Vbeam.

http://www.realself.com/question/V-beam-diffused-redness

Note several doctors say it is "safer" as well. Wonder what that means?

@AprilRain: I am interested why Dr. Obagi feels the IPL is aging. The article was not very clear only a questions/answer type of interview. I did check out his website and he does not offer one.

BTW: I have several broken capillaries but I am afraid to have them treated. I have seen several derms who have used the word "destroy" so it scares me. If the broken capillaires were slightly attached to the dermal later.......HUGE problems!!

I agree there are scary stories about any device but most are not pointed at my face!!!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 am      Reply with quote
InSweetTime wrote:

I have several broken capillaries but I am afraid to have them treated. I have seen several derms who have used the word "destroy" so it scares me.

I'm assuming it cauterizes them in some way, much like doing schlerotherapy on your legs. The capillaries are then absorbed by the body.

I'll have to ask if my derm uses Vbeam.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |