Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help for Frizzy wavy-curly long hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
vienna_h
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've been reading about these Brazilian Blowout/ Keratin treatments and I think I will buy an 8.4oz bottle of Cocochoco to do it at home. Unless anyone has heard bad things about this brand? It seems economical and professional to me...

Also, I need to use sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner with this treatment. What are the best brands that are affordable and readily available at the drugstore? I've been looking into Creme of Nature but its for "ethnic" hair, and i dont have that kind of hair, it should still work fine, right? Any other brands?

** my hair is very fine, but theres a LOT of it, its very full and voluminous, thus its prone to frizz, drying out in sections, and overall bad behaviour. Some parts are wavier, some parts are curlier, other parts do whatever they feel like at that moment.I only use semi-permanent dye every few months.
vienna_h
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
oh i dont think creme of nature is available in canada... why arent any good products available in canada, these shipping costs are killing me!
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
I have waist length hair, similar texture to yours. I have never tried brazilian straightening, but am having really good results with Oribe hair care line and mason pearson brush. Expensive , but have really tamed my hair. Very Happy
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Hydration is the key... I have thick curly, chemically processed hair. Used to be frizzy till I found the right oils for it. Sounds silly but I think of it like a piece of wood. It'll crack and split if not properly hydrated. Get rid of sulfates in your shampoo right now, they strip all the oils from your hair. It worked for me, I really enjoy my hair now.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
I used to fight against my curls all the time; I've learned to live with them and now I love them. Since I stopped trying to fight them, I no longer have hair stress.

For great ideas on how to live with or make the most of your curls, check out naturallycurly.com
www.naturallycurly.com

The website is full of info and the forum is as helpful for hair as this one skincare.

Just my thoughts ... nothing against straightening, just thought it was worth pointing out another option Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
vienna_h wrote:

** my hair is very fine, but theres a LOT of it, its very full and voluminous, thus its prone to frizz, drying out in sections, and overall bad behaviour. Some parts are wavier, some parts are curlier, other parts do whatever they feel like at that moment.I only use semi-permanent dye every few months.

This is my hair except i don't have a lot of it. I recommend CO washing with a silicone free conditioner. I smooth a little oil on the ends regularly to help with moisture also. You'll see a huge difference in your hair. I shampoo only once a week or once a fortnight. With CO washing my hair is lovely & soft & curly. You may have to experiment to find the best conditioner to use. You can read lots about CO washing on the naturallycurly website mentioned above. Also thelonghaircommunity website. You'll need to get a good clarifying shampoo to start with to remove the silicones from your hair.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've paid crazy money for a Coppola keratin blow out. Ok..I'll fess up. $400.00. I very much loved it. I did it twice and figured I'd find a cheaper way. I bought the treatment online and do it at home myself. I bought another brand first that seemed toxic..in its smell. So, I opted to buy Coppola since it worked so well on my hair. Doing it myself does not turn as great..I'd say about 80% as good. But my hair has grown so long..and it does look shiny and straight. I bought the treatment for $100+..the bottle will last me about 6 treatments. I also purchased coppola "infusion" a leave in conditioner with small amounts of keratin. It keeps the treatment lasting. I highly suggest keratin treatments for making your hair look like a teenagers again!
also..I think mine would turn out better if I put the treatment on..then went to a stylist to flat iron it professionally. You have to have a 450 degree flat iron for the treatment to take. Then, I bet it would look like the $400 treatment I've paid for.
vienna_h
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice, I will check out naturallycurly.com Im not opposed to my hair being curly vs. straight, the upside to my hair is I can style it either way (though it takes a while and wont last long til frizz sets in again).

Im fairly certain my straight iron goes up to 450, I bought it when I was 16... 8 years ago!!! But i remeber it said up to 450 on the box, just hope it still does and hasn't cooled off since its so old! when i do the blow out, I will iron it first, then use my large curling iron, so maybe i'll end up with frizz free waves instead of too straight and flat hair... anyone know if this would work?

Im going to switch to sulfate-free shampoo, just not sure which brand is best for my hair, and if i can get away with one of the cheaper ones?

also i cant find many review on CocoChoco's keratin treatment, im kinda hesitant to purchase now...
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:45 am      Reply with quote
I use Finesse Pure & Simple sulfate free shampoo but they're mostly similar. Loreal Everpure is OK, also Renpure Organics & Organix. A spray on leave in might help. I like Bumble & Bumble Styling Spray. You might also considered a high tech line like Liqwd.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have a mane of long, very curly hair. These days I just wash the roots every couple of days with a mild shampoo, and all of it once a week or so, just to get the product out. Plus I use a cheap conditioner. I used to use a very light styling gel just to tame it, but now I make my own flax gel.

That naturallycurly site is amazing. I never felt more negligent as a woman after reading all those posts & signatures people on there make about their hair. Laughing
They've got it down to a fine art - numbers and letters corresponding to texture & type of curl, elasticity, density, porousity and loads more specifics about their curls and the condition of their hair and how it reacts... not to mention the thousand products & treatments they've each tried. It seems like everyone can list which individual ingredients their hair likes and doesn't.

I gave up. I can't even be bothered to find cone-free Suave conditioner so I can try that basic no-poo method since its out of every store in Vancouver. So I'm less of a woman. I'm happy with my flax gel though. Smile

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lol,
I am "white" and use some "ethnic" hair products.
I have naturally curly hair and their hair creams work better for me.

I just tried a new brand called curls and I got a 20% off coupon for their site.

I really like their regular shampoo,conditioner,hair oil, and Curls Jelless-C.

http://www.curls.biz/

The Curls Jelles-c is like a liquid hair gel and it made my hair super soft and no frizz at all.
I don't have any right now and wish I did Sad

http://www.curls.biz/

the 20% off code i have is : nofrizz

their "shampoo" is like a cream and does not foam much.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
vienna_h wrote:
Thanks for the advice, I will check out naturallycurly.com Im not opposed to my hair being curly vs. straight, the upside to my hair is I can style it either way (though it takes a while and wont last long til frizz sets in again).

Im fairly certain my straight iron goes up to 450, I bought it when I was 16... 8 years ago!!! But i remeber it said up to 450 on the box, just hope it still does and hasn't cooled off since its so old! when i do the blow out, I will iron it first, then use my large curling iron, so maybe i'll end up with frizz free waves instead of too straight and flat hair... anyone know if this would work?

Im going to switch to sulfate-free shampoo, just not sure which brand is best for my hair, and if i can get away with one of the cheaper ones?

also i cant find many review on CocoChoco's keratin treatment, im kinda hesitant to purchase now...

What kind of iron did you use on your hair then?
I have some professional hair irons here as I found using the cheaper straigteners on my hair never worked well.
vienna_h
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:57 am      Reply with quote
I dont usually try new products without reading reviews first, but they had sulfate-free shampoo on sale at pharmaprix (shoppers drugmart) and so i gave it a try. I tested Live Clean's line with argan oil... WOW!

I never trusted natural products cuz i didnt think they would work, but now i feel so silly thinking i needed expensive treatments and products with harmful chemicals, this natural stuff is AMAZING!!!!

The products are 96% plant based, all vegan, no sulfates, no parabens, etc etc. At first my hair didnt feel good when i got out of the shower. Then i put in the argan oil treatment and blow dried. Normally, it takes forever for my hair to dry. This time, it dried almost instantly! I couldn't believe it! But whats more, it dried STRAIGHT! It looked as if I had taken hours to slowly blow dry it with a round brush, I never have the time nor energy to do this for real, I cant believe my hair looked so good with no effort!!! It was so smooth, but still had all of its body and volume. And the shine, wow! I am beyond amazed, really. This stuff is awesome, I does the job of hours of styling and all of my top styling products combined, and for soo cheap!!! I cant believe it does so much, argan oil where have you been all my life??!!! And to think its natural ingredients too, i'm totally converted now, im gonna start upgrading to more natural products from now on. Its only been 24 hours and already it has transformed my hair, and people have complimented me on my hair today! Smile

I've never been this excited about a product, ever lol.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |