Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RAVE-Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen SPF 40 - New Formula
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi all, it's been awhile since I've posted on EDS forums; since then, I have a lot of reviews to catch up on! Started searching for the perfect physical sunblock approx. 5 years ago. After much trial and error, settled on NIA24 (beautiful formula) but when I found Clarins new formulation for sun protection in a larger size for less $$ than the original, I had to try it.

During my trial and error search, I tried the original formula by Clarins (UV Plus Day Screen High Protection 40) and fell in love with it but couldn't sign up to spend $42 for only 1 oz. of product.

Chemical sunscreens tend to irritate my combination/oily T-zone skin; a mineral based facial sunscreen is an absolute must. The texture of this lightweight formula smooths over face and neck very easily. Don't be put off by the slight white cast, it quickly fades away. For those who are sensitive to fragrance (I'm not one of them, BTW) I didn't notice any heavy scent at all.

Wait about 5 minutes before primer and foundation. Unlike many lesser sun screens I've tried, this does NOT ball up when additional layers are applied.

Because I do live in Southern California, an environmental shield against pollutants and toxins are always welcome but I haven't used this long enough to attest to the effectiveness of these claims. Clarins is a reputable line with some amazing products; because of this reputation, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not crazy about the packaging (plastic squeeze bottle) because the consistency of this product is similar to a cleansing milk. It's too easy to dispense too much from a squeeze bottle. A pump calibrated to dispense the correct amount would be much more practical. The opacity of the bottle inhibits the ability to know how much product is left; this isn't something you want to do without and knowing how low the supply is would be helpful for reordering; then again, it's possible a transparent bottle would be too sensitive to light.

I didn't use the original formulation for long enough to compare to this new formula. Either way, I love..... love..... love this stuff!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, Athena. I have been eyeballing this one. Do you happen to have the ingredients?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Not Athena but Sephora has the full listing Riley,

New
UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection SPF 40
What it is:
A day cream that protects the skin from the sun, environmental pollution, and free radicals
1.7 oz:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3, Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG 20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxy-Propyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glyercin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum 4, Thermus, Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellel, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl-phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P282024#moreInfo

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:29 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Not Athena but Sephora has the full listing Riley,

New
UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection SPF 40
What it is:
A day cream that protects the skin from the sun, environmental pollution, and free radicals
1.7 oz:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Polyglyceryl-3, Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Corn Starch Modified, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, PEG/PPG 20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Hydroxy-Propyltrimonium Maltodextrin Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glyercin, Pentylene Glycol, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Fruit Extract, Biosaccharide Gum 4, Thermus, Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Citronellel, Benzyl Benzoate, Butyl-phenyl Methylpropional, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P282024#moreInfo

Thanks, DM. I am also looking for if it is titanium dioxide or zinc, and %?
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:36 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks for the review, Athena. I have been eyeballing this one. Do you happen to have the ingredients?

Hi rileygirl, Thanks to Darkmoon for posting the ingredients. Apparently the new ingredient is canteloupe melon extract. I have no idea what this is supposed to do and haven't used it long enough to attest to any long-term skincare benefits other than the obvious protection from UV.

This formula is priced at $38 USD for 1.7 oz compared to the old formula at $42 USD for 1 oz. Ingredients in the old formula. Regardless of which formula, the finish is the most elegant sunscreen I've ever had the pleasure of using.

oz:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:38 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks, DM. I am also looking for if it is titanium dioxide or zinc, and %?

8.1% Titanium Dioxide

DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:57 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

Hi rileygirl, Thanks to Darkmoon for posting the ingredients. Apparently the new ingredient is canteloupe melon extract. I have no idea what this is supposed to do and haven't used it long enough to attest to any long-term skincare benefits other than the obvious protection from UV.

This formula is priced at $38 USD for 1.7 oz compared to the old formula at $42 USD for 1 oz. Ingredients in the old formula. Regardless of which formula, the finish is the most elegant sunscreen I've ever had the pleasure of using.

oz:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

Here from Clarens site is what they say about the melon extract:

- Cantaloupe Melon Extract - contains an exceptional concentration of super oxide dismutase, an antioxidative enzyme that neutralizes the harmful effects of free radicals on skin.

http://es.clarins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/beauty-products_the-essentials_uv-plus-hp-day-screen-spf-40_C010410013_10051_10204_-1_112817_40073_10315

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the old formula. Athena123, you have tried the old one, right? How does it compare to the new in terms of consistency?
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I really love Clarins makeup products, have not tried much of their skin care line though. May have to try this. Very Happy
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
Does it ever seem to cause even more oiliness when you use it?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Well, I ordered this. I'll report back how protective it is. I still love my Devita, but I have been eyeballing this and am running low on sunscreen, so I wanted to give it a try!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Not bashing the Sun Screen here, never tried it, but about the melon extract anyone else connecting the dots? It's a special melon, grown in a special Provence in France and it has amazing antioxidant properties. Sound a wee tad like the melon extract in Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty? Shock Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:33 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Not bashing the Sun Screen here, never tried it, but about the melon extract anyone else connecting the dots? It's a special melon, grown in a special Provence in France and it has amazing antioxidant properties. Sound a wee tad like the melon extract in Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty? Shock Laughing

Interesting! I don't know anything about the melon extract, nor Meaningful Beauty. Do you have any more info on it?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Interesting! I don't know anything about the melon extract, nor Meaningful Beauty. Do you have any more info on it?

It's all from memory, early mornings I have seen the Meaningful Beauty infomercial more times than I care to admit! LOL The doctor she sees in France {since about 28} apparently discovered the extract from the melon, it doesn't decay nearly as fast as a regular melon due to the antioxidant properties according to his research.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

Here is a blurb from the Meaningful Beauty site and a link, there is a YouTube video on the site about the special melon extract.

In the early 1990s, Dr. Sebagh coined the term "Age Maintenance" to describe his revolutionary efforts to preserve skin's existing youth and vibrancy—without surgery.

Now, at the request of his longtime client and friend Cindy Crawford, Dr. Sebagh has created an at-home topical version of his popular skin repair treatments. Meaningful Beauty®'s formulas are designed to help fight free radicals and support the promotion of collagen in a powerful new way.

http://www.meaningfulbeauty.com/theStory.php?pactvid=n6o2egj1f18ai1l9jqkjb8jr8fj3jfb6

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Interesting. Thanks, DM. It sounds like SOD is the "miracle" in this melon, which is good because that is supposed to be a great antioxidant!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:26 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Interesting. Thanks, DM. It sounds like SOD is the "miracle" in this melon, which is good because that is supposed to be a great antioxidant!

I agree, it sounds like another super antioxidant for the skin! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to butt in with a different question but did any one of you tried Clarin's Lisse Minute - Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch Makeup Base?? I tried the sample of it few days ago and liked it but I don't know if its worth to buy the whole tub Confused
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
I really like the old formula. Athena123, you have tried the old one, right? How does it compare to the new in terms of consistency?

Hi, I never purchased the old formula but when I was on the hunt for facial sunscreen, I obtained a generous sample from Sephora. The consistency of the old formula set the benchmark for how sunscreens SHOULD be; of course, none of the other ones I tried matched it. Even when I eventually settled on NIA24 --- NIA24 still isn't as cosmetically elegant as Clarins.

The new formula has a similar light, airy, milky, easy to spread and apply consistency.
On the Sephora website, a few reviewers who used the old formula indicate the consistency is the same.

Hope this helps,

Athena

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 10:32 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Does it ever seem to cause even more oiliness when you use it?

I have combo skin. On the days I go without makeup (which is the majority of the time), this layer of leaves a slightly matte finish without any shinies or residue at all.

Because it's still rather expensive, I would probably slather something else on face, neck, chest and everywhere else if I were planning on a day at the beach. For additional protection, I wear a big floppy hat and large sunglasses as well.

Hope this helps,

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Well, I ordered this. I'll report back how protective it is. I still love my Devita, but I have been eyeballing this and am running low on sunscreen, so I wanted to give it a try!

Hi rileygirl, let us know how you like it! I actually tried Devita a few years ago. It was OK, but just a little too thick for facial application. I would up using the Devita on neck and chest.

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 11:11 am      Reply with quote
First day using this, Athena, and I love it. I am ready to stockpile this stuff! I totally agree with what you have written about it: milky, thin, easy to apply, no white cast, matte finish, and I love the smell! Laughing I can't say if it is protective enough for me yet, but I have been in the sun a lot today, very hot day here in the 90's, and my face still looks matte!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 am      Reply with quote
Aryanna wrote:
Sorry to butt in with a different question but did any one of you tried Clarin's Lisse Minute - Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch Makeup Base?? I tried the sample of it few days ago and liked it but I don't know if its worth to buy the whole tub Confused

NO worries Aryanna! Very Happy --- Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch is one of my absolute favorite primers, but it's a little too pricy for everyday use. After searching for the perfect primer (tried a lot!) --- I finally found that Hourglass primer works the best for me. If the Clarins duo is ever sold at Sephora, I'll spring for that and save it for use around the eyes.

athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 11:28 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
First day using this, Athena, and I love it. I am ready to stockpile this stuff! I totally agree with what you have written about it: milky, thin, easy to apply, no white cast, matte finish, and I love the smell! Laughing I can't say if it is protective enough for me yet, but I have been in the sun a lot today, very hot day here in the 90's, and my face still looks matte!

Woohoo rileygirl, glad to hear this! Yes... this is the BEST! Wow, the 90's? Where do you live? I actually think that between Clarins sunscreen and Hourglass primer, I can get away with a relatively low maintenance quick makeup application by applying a dusting of NCN Loose mineral powder on nose/cheeks/chin. Touchups aren't needed so often.

(Disclaimer: I still love my Burberry foundation, but tend to leave that for nights/visits to the office and more special occasions) That may change once we start hitting triple digits but for now, I'm pleased with the less is more approach as I hit my late 40's... Smile

RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

riley, I told you about this sunscreen long time ago Smile But I was too lazy to write a proper review. Thank you, athena123!

I also use it every time I apply CPs in the morning.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |