Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RAVE-Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen SPF 40 - New Formula
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
athena123 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks for the review, Athena. I have been eyeballing this one. Do you happen to have the ingredients?

Hi rileygirl, Thanks to Darkmoon for posting the ingredients. Apparently the new ingredient is canteloupe melon extract. I have no idea what this is supposed to do and haven't used it long enough to attest to any long-term skincare benefits other than the obvious protection from UV.

This formula is priced at $38 USD for 1.7 oz compared to the old formula at $42 USD for 1 oz. Ingredients in the old formula. Regardless of which formula, the finish is the most elegant sunscreen I've ever had the pleasure of using.

oz:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

Here from Clarens site is what they say about the melon extract:

- Cantaloupe Melon Extract - contains an exceptional concentration of super oxide dismutase, an antioxidative enzyme that neutralizes the harmful effects of free radicals on skin.

http://es.clarins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/beauty-products_the-essentials_uv-plus-hp-day-screen-spf-40_C010410013_10051_10204_-1_112817_40073_10315

Wonder if this is the magic melon from Cindy Crawford's line? I think SSC also has a melon ingredient.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll wrote:
I really love Clarins makeup products, have not tried much of their skin care line though. May have to try this. Very Happy

I was intrigued by their mousse foundation --- which makeup products do you like? I'd love to hear more!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

riley, I told you about this sunscreen long time ago Smile But I was too lazy to write a proper review. Thank you, athena123!

I also use it every time I apply CPs in the morning.

RussianSunshine, that was probably why I had my eye on this! Very Happy How is the protective factor for you?

Athena, I live in Florida and it is already hot!!
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Elvisshops wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
athena123 wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
Thanks for the review, Athena. I have been eyeballing this one. Do you happen to have the ingredients?

Hi rileygirl, Thanks to Darkmoon for posting the ingredients. Apparently the new ingredient is canteloupe melon extract. I have no idea what this is supposed to do and haven't used it long enough to attest to any long-term skincare benefits other than the obvious protection from UV.

This formula is priced at $38 USD for 1.7 oz compared to the old formula at $42 USD for 1 oz. Ingredients in the old formula. Regardless of which formula, the finish is the most elegant sunscreen I've ever had the pleasure of using.

oz:
Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Alcohol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Lapsana Communis Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Rhodiola Rosea Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate.

Here from Clarens site is what they say about the melon extract:

- Cantaloupe Melon Extract - contains an exceptional concentration of super oxide dismutase, an antioxidative enzyme that neutralizes the harmful effects of free radicals on skin.

http://es.clarins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/beauty-products_the-essentials_uv-plus-hp-day-screen-spf-40_C010410013_10051_10204_-1_112817_40073_10315

Wonder if this is the magic melon from Cindy Crawford's line? I think SSC also has a melon ingredient.

Looks like Darkmoon is on the right track. According to Clarins website, Cantaloupe Melon Extract contains an exceptional concentration of super oxide dismutase.

According to the Meaningful Beauty website, the unique ingredient supporting this line is a rare melon containing a powerful super-antioxidant called superoxide dismutase (SOD).

I consulted the Wiki gods to find out a little more. Much of it is greek to me, as I am neither chemist/biologist or scientist, but it does support the theory of this element in the role of super antioxidant. If you scroll to the bottom of this article, however, the application in cosmetics is still rather tentative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superoxide_dismutase

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

RussianSunshine, that was probably why I had my eye on this! Very Happy How is the protective factor for you?

I went to Cuba last December and was only using this sunscreen, never had a red face, only a barely noticeable tan by the end of the vacation. I also once spent 4 hours walking in the city in the sun without re-applying the sunscreen, and my face was totally fine.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
rileygirl wrote:

I went to Cuba last December and was only using this sunscreen, never had a red face, only a barely noticeable tan by the end of the vacation. I also once spent 4 hours walking in the city in the sun without re-applying the sunscreen, and my face was totally fine.

Wow! If this new formula is as effective as the old formula, this will be a winner for sure! I'm thinking I should follow Rileygirl's lead and stockpile before it occurs to them to raise the price!

rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

Thanks for sharing that, RussianSunshine. I am happy to hear it worked well for you. I am hoping I get the same protection!
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I feel a little confused about the spf factor of sunscreens - espec Clarins ones.
While for a spf 30 sunscreen in many other brands the amnt of active is in the double digits eg 13-18% zinc or same % but 50/50 zinc and titanium, Clarins has only put in under 10% titanium dioxide.. It is the same thing w their eye sunscreen - that is labelled 30+ but the amnt of titanium dioxide is even less than they have put in this one!?
Anybody know how this could be and whether they are sure Clarins sunscreen is definitely safe?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 9:44 am      Reply with quote
Another concern is that it is not really a broad-spectrum sunblock Sad So one will have to apply a zinc-based make-up over it.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, I am wrong. It protects skin from both UVA and UVB radiation.

RussianSunshine wrote:
Another concern is that it is not really a broad-spectrum sunblock Sad So one will have to apply a zinc-based make-up over it.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

RussianSunshine wrote:

Doesn't the melon extract have sun protection attributes also (like Vitamin C)? I know it isn't enough on it's own, but had the impression it is supposed to add to the protection from suns rays?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 10:23 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon, I never count Vit C and other antioxidants as protective factors. If they add to protection, I am not going to ever feel it Very Happy

DarkMoon wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

RussianSunshine wrote:

Doesn't the melon extract have sun protection attributes also (like Vitamin C)? I know it isn't enough on it's own, but had the impression it is supposed to add to the protection from suns rays?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah I alawys look at antioxidants as an added bonus, but never consider it to be part of the protection
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:53 am      Reply with quote
I have this sunscreen also and have the same thought about only having under 10% titanium dioxide. I am using it now, but may have to switch brands. I need 100% coverage.
havana8

Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I thought this was interesting regarding the Thermus Thermophilus Ferment Extract antoxidant that is included:
    Thermus Thermophilus Ferment Extract – Assists in Lysine assimilation and ATP production processes, inspires healthy oxygenation, and protects from environmental stress. This microorganism is found off the deep sea Gulf of California. It is comprised of a cocktail of proteins including enzymes that are particularly effective at mopping up free radicals produced by UV exposure. The testing on this strain, via accelerated conditions, showed that 6 months of use prevented 5 years of aging! It worked to protect against age spots, wrinkles and blemishes. It did so by protecting fibroblasts against the pro-oxidizing attack of free radicals. This strain is a powerful antioxidant activated by heat and light and its activity is favorably comparable to Vitamin E. Thermus Thermophilus Ferment also stimulates keratinocyte differentiation and maturation; it strengthens stratum corneum resistance against aggression – protecting against UV damage (lipoperoxidation, DNA and fibroblasts oxidation, and skin enzyme inactivation).
    (http://www.rhondaallison.com/marineoligoelements.html)
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
I have this sunscreen also and have the same thought about only having under 10% titanium dioxide. I am using it now, but may have to switch brands. I need 100% coverage.

Skincare, I top it off either with a powder or foundation with zinc oxide.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:33 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Skincare, I top it off either with a powder or foundation with zinc oxide.

I don't normally wear powder & foundation, so that is a problem. I find that it sits on my face and hide the luminous natural look I get from my skin when well maintained.

I really love the texture of this brand. I love the fact that you can layer and layer without any nasty build up. I just want very good protection for my pale skin tone. I loved Chanel, but that is very pricey. One small bottle lasted me two weeks!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

I don't normally wear powder & foundation

I really love the texture of this brand. I love the fact that you can layer and layer without any nasty build up. I just want very good protection for my pale skin tone.

Skincare, I don't wear foundation or powder either and I am only using the Clarins for protection. So far, so good. I haven't tried it being out in the sun for hours, but for daily use with frequent but short sun exposure, I find that it gives great protection. My face is noticeably whiter than the rest of my body, so I am not tanning through with the Clarins.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:32 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

I don't normally wear powder & foundation

I really love the texture of this brand. I love the fact that you can layer and layer without any nasty build up. I just want very good protection for my pale skin tone.

Skincare, I don't wear foundation or powder either and I am only using the Clarins for protection. So far, so good. I haven't tried it being out in the sun for hours, but for daily use with frequent but short sun exposure, I find that it gives great protection. My face is noticeably whiter than the rest of my body, so I am not tanning through with the Clarins.

rileygirl, I am so happy that you didn't tan with Clarins. I like to hear that. I don't mind if sunscreen make my skin appear a bit whiter. As long as I don't look sick pale. Which type of powder should I be looking at?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

rileygirl, what about Orb? Do you still use it? As far as I remember, titanium oxide does not protect well against long UVA rays, hence zinc oxide is necessary for optimum UVA protection.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:40 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Which type of powder should I be looking at?

I like Colorscience powders:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/colorescience-sunforgetta-p_12445.htm

and

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/colorescience-sunforgettb-p_9304.htm

The latter is more convenient IMHO.

I have pale skin and use Almost clear. It is very natural-looking. I don't normally use powders but this one provides a matte finish that’s not powdery or dry. Completely invisible.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

rileygirl, what about Orb? Do you still use it? As far as I remember, titanium oxide does not protect well against long UVA rays, hence zinc oxide is necessary for optimum UVA protection.

I still love the Orb, but honestly I have not used anything with the Clarins. I just apply the 1/4 tsp, which is a lot of product but I do it in layers. I have not had any freckling or tanning, but I also have not tested the Clarins in hours of the sun, just my normal daily exposure.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Hi Skincare.

I am tempted to try the Clarins when I finish my Chanel sunscreen. Can you tell me what you used under the Chanel? I find it is a bit white when I use it over the Chanel daycream which has spf and better when I use it over the hydrating and pore minimizing serums. Do you think the Clarins is better?

thanks. Harriet
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I don't find the Chanel sunscreen to be too white on me. I am very pale and the only colour I get is from my freckles, which is more noticeable in the summer. For me, Chanel is perfect, but I am not impressed with the price. One tiny bottle last me one week, almost two weeks!

I use Moisteral or Embryolisse lotion on my face. This is the order of my skin care products:
after washing my face with Clarisonic, I use:
Vivier vitamin C
Cellcosmet eye cream
Embryolisse
sunscreen

Then I put on my eye makeup, sometimes concealer, lipstick and then I'm out the door to go to work or go about my day.

I don't know if Clarins is better. It appears that Chanel has two major ingredients, and Clarins only has one.
I am thinking of ordering Vanicream to give it a try. I heard that it is not cosmetically elegant, but after you apply it on, allow it to soak in, and it won't rub off.
Texture wise, both Chanel & Clarins is beautiful and so easy to layer on over and over again.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:10 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for feedback Skincare. I may try the Clarins after I finish the Chanel. I am just using the Chanel on the weekends or very sunny days ...so far this summer with all the rain it is lasting!! hope you have a nice summer. Harriet
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |