Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RAVE-Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen SPF 40 - New Formula
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
What do you use during the week?
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:36 am      Reply with quote
I picked up a bottle of this at the airport on my way back to Malta a couple of weeks ago and must say it is impressive!

It leaves only the slightest white cast on me (my skin isn't pale), dries matte and stays matte all day (even on hot, humid days) and the protection is excellent. I was caught out in the sun for about 2 1/2 hours a few days ago (around 1 PM, summer, Mediterranean, UV index was 11) and didn't pick up the slightest bit of colour!

My only complaint is the sodium lauryl sulphate that it contains, which, over time does irritate my skin.

I'll have to see how I go, but so far so good.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:48 am      Reply with quote
Skincare...
I use the Chanel Ultra Lift day cream with spf 15. I started using it in January. I am not sure if it is stabilized ..the spf ingredients are avobenzone and octoxinate I think. but my skin seems to be fine. there may be a stabilizing ingredient in the list that I don't recognize. I would want more protection if I was going to be outside a lot during the middle of the day. I wear a sunhat when walking at lunch which helps.

Josh..that is great that it worked so well in intense sun.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:20 am      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
Skincare...
I use the Chanel Ultra Lift day cream with spf 15. I started using it in January. I am not sure if it is stabilized ..the spf ingredients are avobenzone and octoxinate I think. but my skin seems to be fine. there may be a stabilizing ingredient in the list that I don't recognize. I would want more protection if I was going to be outside a lot during the middle of the day. I wear a sunhat when walking at lunch which helps.

The Chanel brand that I use i UV Essentiel SPF 50 in a 1 oz bottle. With tax, it is about $70 to $80.
If the cost wasn't so high, I'd by a lot of this one.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:20 am      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
Skincare...

The Chanel brand that I use is UV Essentiel SPF 50 in a 1 oz bottle. With tax, it is about $70 to $80.
If the cost wasn't so high, I'd by a lot of this one.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:30 am      Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
I picked up a bottle of this at the airport on my way back to Malta a couple of weeks ago and must say it is impressive!

It leaves only the slightest white cast on me (my skin isn't pale), dries matte and stays matte all day (even on hot, humid days) and the protection is excellent. I was caught out in the sun for about 2 1/2 hours a few days ago (around 1 PM, summer, Mediterranean, UV index was 11) and didn't pick up the slightest bit of colour!

My only complaint is the sodium lauryl sulphate that it contains, which, over time does irritate my skin.

I'll have to see how I go, but so far so good.

I have been impressed with the Clarins, as well. It only leaves a white cast (extremely minimal at that) when I first put it on, but then when it turns matte, I don't have any visible white cast. I make sure to use a mositurizer or oil before this though, as if your face it dry, it does not look good and shows all the flakes!
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I generally find that a serum (sometimes I layer a couple) is enough for me as my skin isn't dry or oily. But yes, I can imagine if your face was on the drier side or indeed flakey, it wouldn't give such a flawless finish.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:45 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl, have you ever tried any Japanese sunscreen? The texture is the same as Clarins sunscreen.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
rileygirl, have you ever tried any Japanese sunscreen? The texture is the same as Clarins sunscreen.

I sure have. I used to use Sofina, but it was a PIA to get it. I agree, the texture is definitely the same!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

I sure have. I used to use Sofina, but it was a PIA to get it. I agree, the texture is definitely the same!

Have you or anyone else tried Kiehls Super Fluid UV Defense SPF50? Is it similar to Clarins?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

Have you or anyone else tried Kiehls Super Fluid UV Defense SPF50? Is it similar to Clarins?

I have not, Skincare. Hopefully someone else will come along that has used it!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

I have not, Skincare. Hopefully someone else will come along that has used it!

Well, I am very impressed with Clarins. It's sheer and it appears that Europe and American companies are adopting to Japanese texture. It is so workable. I've read in a magazine that the rules changed that the packaging is not allowed to have the word sunblock anymore, but only sunscreen.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone.

I had a sample of the Kiehls sunscreen, think it was the 50spf one, was new last summer. I liked it but if I recall correctly I found it a bit shiny. I like the Chanel for its wonderful semi matte finish. Seems like the Clarins is also great in that way. I forget what the active ingredients are in Kiehls.

Harriet
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
Hi everyone.

I had a sample of the Kiehls sunscreen, think it was the 50spf one, was new last summer. I liked it but if I recall correctly I found it a bit shiny. I like the Chanel for its wonderful semi matte finish. Seems like the Clarins is also great in that way. I forget what the active ingredients are in Kiehls.

Harriet

The Kiehl's one contains the standard chemical sunscreens.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
harriet wrote:
Hi everyone.

Harriet

Hi!

I just got back from the store and here is the active ingredients:
Homosalate 15%
Oxybenzone 6%
Octisalate 5%
Octocrylene 5%
Avobenzone 3%

Can anyone read this and tell us the quality of this one?
How does it compare to Chanel & Clarins?

I can share this with you, and I agree with harriet, there is shine to it. It's applied to the top of my hand and it appears to give a luminous look to it, so I think with anyone with very oily skin would not like this, but people with dull skin may rave for this. Very Happy

The texture is the same as Chanel & Clarins, but the scent of this one is not as elegant, but that is okay with me it the quality of the active ingredients provide excellent coverage.

I paid $40.68 including tax for 50 ml.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:23 am      Reply with quote
I have been doing some research, examining ingredient listing and I am so happy to say that Clarins UV Plus HP SPF 40 & Chanel UV Essential SPF 50 & Kiehl's Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50 all have good coverage with UVA & UVB.

To decide which one you want to purchase is up to you. I think Kiehl's pricing is the best one, unless someone can tell me because it's been a couple of weeks since I bought Clarins, what the price is.

The packaging on all three is excellent.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the research Skincare. The Chanel has 19% zinc and 7.5 % octinoxate. I think that zinc is good, easy on the skin. I think the Chanel is a bit over $50 Canadian plus tax. I think I'll try the Clarins or the Kiehls when I finish what I have. seems like Clarins is a big hit.

Thanks for the feedback rileygirl and Josh. oasisjc, yes, the Kiehls ingredients being all chemical maybe a bit harsher than the other two. I think they all seem, my experience and others here, that they are very light and easy to apply which is nice.

It was in the news that the US is going to standardize the way spf is described on the products and other improvements.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
I just read about that on EDS. I think that is wonderful, but that should have been done years ago!

It will be interesting on who (what company) will list PPD with high rates and if the price will go up.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

Hi!

Homosalate 15%
Oxybenzone 6%
Octisalate 5%
Octocrylene 5%
Avobenzone 3%

I do not like chemical sunscreens, as they have never worked for me - meaning I tan right through most of them. That said, I know that UVB are the tanning rays, and UVA are the aging rays (simplistically put). The Kiehls is all chemical, Clarins is all physical, and the Chanel is a combo of chemical/physical.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Hi!

Homosalate 15%
Oxybenzone 6%
Octisalate 5%
Octocrylene 5%
Avobenzone 3%

I do not like chemical sunscreens, as they have never worked for me - meaning I tan right through most of them. That said, I know that UVB are the tanning rays, and UVA are the aging rays (simplistically put). The Kiehls is all chemical, Clarins is all physical, and the Chanel is a combo of chemical/physical.

Which of all three provide the highest level of UVA?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

That is a good question and one I don't know the answer to! If I had to make a guess, I would pick the Chanel due to the 19% zinc.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:18 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

That is a good question and one I don't know the answer to! If I had to make a guess, I would pick the Chanel due to the 19% zinc.

Isn't zinc to cover UVB?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:

Isn't zinc to cover UVB?

Zinc covers both UVB and UVA.

Found this. It may answer a lot of your questions.

http://wonderfulwortelworld.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/sunscreen-faq-uv-filters-diagram/
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:

UVA are actually tanning rays too! UVA actually creates a longer lasting tan (which is why tanning beds use UVA).
jom
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
For anyone who loves this stuff I just wanted to give you a heads up that Nordstrom is having a special on this during their anniversary sale. You can buy two of these for $55. A $76 value. For anyone who has a Nordstrom credit card you can buy this now in store or call your favorite sales associate and have them mail your package for free. The sale opens to the public on July 15-19. I believe you can buy online during that time as well.

As an aside, Clarins is offering a special FEED project makeup bag filled with body lotion, hand cream and lip gloss during the anniversary sale. I bought two - one for a gift. Some of the proceeds go to the FEED charity.

Also want to add that I tried a sample of the sunscreen and it is great though I'm not sure how much protection it offers. For now I'm sticking with my Dermaquest.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:29 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |