Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

RAVE-Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen SPF 40 - New Formula
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:16 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered this. I hope it'll work for me as I want to try out physical sunscreens.

Do you guys think this offers sufficient protection against UVA and UVB rays?
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Isn't zinc to cover UVB?

Zinc covers both UVB and UVA.

Found this. It may answer a lot of your questions.

http://wonderfulwortelworld.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/sunscreen-faq-uv-filters-diagram/

According to this chart, it seems that Clarins doesn't protect against UVA I at all Shock

Am I missing something??
havana8

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Isn't zinc to cover UVB?

http://wonderfulwortelworld.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/sunscreen-faq-uv-filters-diagram/

According to this chart, it seems that Clarins doesn't protect against UVA I at all Shock

Am I missing something??

According to skincancer.org, Zinc Oxide covers UVB, UVA2, UVA1 whereas the Titanium Dioxide used in Clarins covers the range of UVB and UVA2. It looks like Thermus Thermophilus Ferment is also supposed to be a UVA protectant.

UVA1: 340-400 nm
UVA2: 320-340 nm
UVB: 290-320 nm
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Penta wrote:
rileygirl wrote:
Skincare wrote:

Isn't zinc to cover UVB?

Am I missing something??

According to skincancer.org, Zinc Oxide covers UVB, UVA2, UVA1 whereas the Titanium Dioxide used in Clarins covers the range of UVB and UVA2. It looks like Thermus Thermophilus Ferment is also supposed to be a UVA protectant.

UVA1: 340-400 nm
UVA2: 320-340 nm
UVB: 290-320 nm

Thanks havana! That's what it looked like to me, too. Sad I can't find anything on Thermus Thermophilus Ferment, does it protect against UVA I?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
This sunblock is lovely! I love using it occasionally but in order to make sure I am fully protected I use mineral powder with zinc oxide on top, for example, Colorescience Sunforgettable Mineral Powder. Physicians Formula also makes powders with zinc oxide.
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Weirdly enough, in EU we have titanium dioxide-only sunscreens that claim to have UVA protection. And it's nano titanium, btw. Probably means that that particular kind of titanium at least meets the EU sunscreen regulations, which aren't The most stringent, but still... Zinc oxide is not widely available in sunscreens. I'm currently using EU-version of Skinceuticals' Physical Fusion (Mineral Radiance) and it doesn't seem to make me tan, least not yet, but I haven't seen real sun this year.
Controversially, zinc-only sunscreens, which by most sources (not by academic sources, however) are best against UVA, sometimes made me tan in the past, and there are as many different kinds of zinc as there are of titanium, and not all of them are good. Problem is, hardly anyone discloses details about the physical filter, and that is what makes physical filters so unreliable in my eyes, it could be anything underneath the listed 'zinc oxide'. I have given up thinking of zinc as the holy sunscreen grail for better or for worse.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Huh. That's interesting, jazzi. I keep reading about people tanning with zinc, too! So you rely on titanium dioxide only now? Or have you switched to chemical sunscreens?
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Huh. That's interesting, jazzi. I keep reading about people tanning with zinc, too! So you rely on titanium dioxide only now? Or have you switched to chemical sunscreens?

I'm quite flexible, the current favorite is Skinceuticals Mineral Radiance, which is some undisclosed per cent of titanium dioxide as the only filter. EU doesn't require manufacturer to print down the actual number. It eliminates the need for makeup, because it either lives up to the claim and adjusts to my skin color or just is near enough to my skin color by lucky chance. Main thing, it hasn't burnt me or made me darken yet and it looks nice on my skin. And it comes off quite easy.
Clarins was ok, but it's too white and way too expensive. Skinceuticals is already expensive, but Clarins beats that and comes in a tiny bottle. Doesn't last a week.
Anyway, I meant to say that I'm not fixed on any single filter or sunscreen type. As long as it seems to protect well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Jazzi, I also posted a reply/question on the sunscreen recommendations thread.

I'd buy something with Tinosorb M but I am really worried about the fact that one isn't supposed to wear moisturizer underneath it. Do you know if this is true? My skin gets sooo dry. Crying or Very sad
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:
Thanks Jazzi, I also posted a reply/question on the sunscreen recommendations thread.

I'd buy something with Tinosorb M but I am really worried about the fact that one isn't supposed to wear moisturizer underneath it. Do you know if this is true? My skin gets sooo dry. Crying or Very sad

I might be mistaken, but Tinosorb M is a hybrid filter, half-physical, half-chemical, and those sunscreens that have Tinosorbs also tend to have titanium dioxide in them, so I don't think it would be a problem. Not sure I've actually seen data on how moisturizers underneath affect sunscreen. There is however concern that anything applied ON TOP might disturb the protective layer, regadless of type of filter, which, in my opinion, is more disconcerting.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:18 am      Reply with quote
That is disconcerting, indeed. Would that hold true for physical sunscreens as well?
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I hated this. It was greasy, sent my oil glands into overdrive, and left a white cast no matter how I applied it. I was super annoyed it was recommended to me when I was traveling as a substitute for the Devita that I had forgotten to pack. I think they just wanted me to spend the 40 bucks an ounce it costs. I use this on my shoulders when I'm gardening now, and six months later I'm still struggling to use up the bottle.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
I think there is now a SPF 50 version that is even better made by Clarins.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |