Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Anything to help with reducing oil PRODUCTION?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
As from the topic title, I'm interested in tackling the root of the problem, which is the oil glands under the skin. I don't want to use blotting papers or mattifying powders of the sort because my skin just doesn't like those things and ends up producing more oil because I've stripped everything from it.

So has anyone had or heard of any success stories in which certain ingredients help with oily skin?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
So daily BHA or AHA should help reduce oil production (IME after a month or so); and Retin A is supposed to, but could take a year or more (I haven't gotten there yet).

Oral codliver oil with its Vit A might slightly decrease/normalize oil production, and the prescription isotretinoin (Accutane) does the same with more of a punch. Spironolactone is an anti-androgen than can help some women, and certain BCs are better for oil than others.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if your testosterone level is a bit high.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
The only thing that has ever helped my skin with oil production is Accutane (isotertinoin.) Rockhugger mentioned it in her post. It is taken orally and available by prescription only. It's highly controversial and should only be used under a doctor's supervision.

I took it in my 20's when I suffered from cystic acne and uncontrollable oily skin. It was a real life saver for me!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Can you reduce sugar- or carb-consumption?

I know of people who experienced a decrease in oiliness while on low carb diets, and sugar is definitely said to stimulate oil production.

Just research any possible hazards if you you want to try a more radical version like Atkins...

I was just reading the testimonials of that wonderbar someone else started a thread on. There are self-reports of "normalized' skin from that, though othrs claim bad results. Still if you have $ to blow on an experiment with a little cleansing bar, you might look into that too...
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:45 am      Reply with quote
Cutting sugar is a good idea. Some of us have skin cells very sensitive to insulin, even though we may not be diabetic. And for that matter, some hormones in milk are precursors to DHT, an androgen linked with oiliness and acne.

Another possible solution: Some levulan-bluelight combos are thought to shrink oil glands, brands including FotoFacial.

Mon May 30, 2011 4:30 am      Reply with quote
Skin, like the rest of our bodies wants to remain balanced and healthy. As you have found out for yourself the worst thing you can do is blot away or strip away the natural oils your skin produces to protect against dehydration. As soon as the skin’s surface is sensed to be dry the oil glands will respond by pumping out more oil to redress the balance.

The answer is oil - oil to combat oil - sounds unlikely but makes sense when you think about what the skin is trying to do for you.

Not just any oil, you want skin friendly plant oils and essential oils which are naturally anti-bacterial.

My favourite for all types of skin is 20% Vitamin E oil from glowing-skin-naturally.
It smells divine, feels fantastic on the skin and soaks in a dream. The trick for oily skin is to use a tiny amount, just enough to be absorbed and not a hint left on the surface.

Hope this helps, the good news is while oily skin is a bit of a hassle now as you get older your skin will remain far less wrinkled for longer especially if you give it what it needs now rather than treating it like a battle field.
tckmtracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 10:20 am      Reply with quote
You can try the pearl powder which is good for oil absorption. You can mix it with you day cream (better not mix with sunscreen). Or if you wear make up, you can use it as loose powder or mix it with you loose powder.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Retin-A tremendously reduced my oil production, But you also have to compensate for it by applying a moisturizing sunscreen during the day.
ezduzit
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I need help with this also...I am 38 and have very oily skin Mad
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Oil cleansing and using a nice facial oil as a serum at night is how I balanced my skin. I use Tsamma Melon oil, which also keeps my skin decongested.

Adding oil to the skin calms down the oil production in the skin. Drying your skin out will just cause the oil production to go into overdrive.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Niacinamide [Vitamin B3] will heip to reduce oil production. Here is the clinical report on the effects of Niacinamide:

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B7h43MoiTlxyOTk5MWEwZDAtOTkyMS00NjJlLTgwMzAtZDRmYjc0MTA2ZTUw&hl=en
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:51 am      Reply with quote
I was just comparing photos of me two months ago versus now, and it looks like I'm less oily now, more glowy and not so shiny! I think maybe the tretinoin is kicking in for reducing oil...

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:37 am      Reply with quote
I just thought of this....when I was taking high doses of B5 for acne it totally cut my oil production. I didn't have super oily skin though. This was several years ago, I dont remember the specifics,dosage etc, that I took.
Deheune
5% products discount

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:01 am      Reply with quote
My internist is very prone to prescribing meds for offlabel use. During an appt for something totally unrelated, he asked me if my oily skin bothered me. He gave me a prescription for Aldactone, which is a diuretic used primarily to treat high blood pressure. It was a low dose - I didn't even notice the diuretic effect. I also remember it being very cost effective - the pharmacist chose to not use my insurance because paying the cost of the item was cheaper than my co-pay! I did notice a reduction in oil production.

Obviously prescription drugs aren't for everyone, but I thought I'd mention it. People with less creative doctors may want to suggest it.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:28 am      Reply with quote
2nd, or 3rd or 4rth?, the tretinoin. I'm pretty sure my oil production has lessened.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Skitahoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl, how much B5 were you taking?

I took it about a year ago and I can't say I noticed a difference or not. However, I am very oily especially with summer coming. I am ready to give this another try since I know what my skin is like without the supplement of B5.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:20 am      Reply with quote
It can also be sensitivity to testosterone that causes it. Retin-a, diet, stress management & hormonal therapy ie BCP or BHRT are your best bets.
SoftSkin wrote:
I wonder if your testosterone level is a bit high.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone tried using Finacea to reduce oil production. My skin gets drier almost immediately after I apply Finacea gel.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Skitahoe wrote:

I took it about a year ago and I can't say I noticed a difference or not. However, I am very oily especially with summer coming. I am ready to give this another try since I know what my skin is like without the supplement of B5.

It was several years ago, as mentioned I don't remember the details exactly. It was a high dose that I started with though. I think I did follow the recommended dosages, which was to start at 10 grams if I remember correctly.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:45 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Skitahoe wrote:

It was several years ago, as mentioned I don't remember the details exactly. It was a high dose that I started with though. I think I did follow the recommended dosages, which was to start at 10 grams if I remember correctly.

Was it vitamin b5 or b3? I've heard of b3 (niacinamide) helping with oil production and acne, but not b5
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
The recommended daily supplementation of Pantothenic acid (B5) is 15-400 mg for women.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:

Was it vitamin b5 or b3? I've heard of b3 (niacinamide) helping with oil production and acne, but not b5

B5. Google "B5 and acne" you will find info.

RussianSunshine wrote:
The recommended daily supplementation of Pantothenic acid (B5) is 15-400 mg for women.

Thats correct for regular supplementation. The B5 and acne plan is not meant to be used at high doses forever. Its a treatment plan.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |