Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Best Sunless Tanning Lotion anyone?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cutevalleygirl
5% products discount

Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I am in great need of a tanning lotion. I have tried several different kinds but it seems they end up making my skin look orange or you can see the pores of the skin and it gets spotty with discoloration. I cannot afford the spray on tans at the tanning salon so I need a different alternative.

i am currently using Avon face cream and body cream. It's the best i've found so far but it still is not dark enough and leaves a hint of orange after it is dry, and especial if you re-apply a second application.

Anyway, what I am looking for is a lotion that won't leave an orange color, won't clog or expose pores, won't wash off easily if water gets on it (after it is dry of course), and is dark like a bronze color.

I keep hearing about St. tropaz but when I looked it up, it seems very expensive, but is it worth it? Will it leave the skin with a great dark tan with no orangy color and that won't clog pores or wash off?
Any other brands I could try?

thank you for your time
Wink
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
#1. If you are very fair most tanners will look orange on you. Orange can also be from using a product that is too dark

#2. Discolouration and streaks can be avoided if you exfoliate before using the tanning lotion. It prevents the lotion from sticking to the dry dead skin. If your skin is dry you should use the product after your shower and towel drying. Discolouration can also occur if you put clothing on before the lotion absorbs fully (15 - 20 minutes).

Never tried the St. Tropaz. I like Australian Gold myself. Fairly inexpensive and works well for me. One of my friends swears by estee lauder tan towels.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I St. Tropaz! I don't use it straight but mix it with their moisturizer. I find when I do this it is much more natural. When I put it on my elbows, knees, between toes and fingers I even use at tad more moisturizer mixed in. I forget what the directions say as I have not done it in awhile but when its time to rub off the excess I buff it with a old bath towel. I first was introduced to St. Tropaz when I worked in a salon. They used that product for tan treatments. It is all in the application. Think you would like it.
Mabsy

Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:06 am      Reply with quote
2nd the vote for St Tropez! It looks so natural on me! Smile
skybaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:31 am      Reply with quote
I am very fair and I use Fake Bake. It is very natural, goes on even and doesn't look orange. The color last for several days.
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:54 am      Reply with quote
hi

ive used alot of self tanning creams over the years and have fund st tropez and fake bake to be the best. If i use the st tropez lotion i also mix it with moisteriser. lately though i have been using the mousse in both of these and rather than put it on with gloves i use one of the tanning mitts. the mousse is alot less messier than the lotions and is more natural (on me) especially in the winter when you dont want to go OTT

hope this helps
Cheers
Sally

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I have tried loads of self tans (Clarins, Lancome, St Tropez, Spray Sun, No 7 and Dior to name but a few) but my all time favourite is definately Fake Bake. Never ever streaks (I apply it with a tanning mitt and the results are excellent, so professional) and the most convincing colour - no orange tango effect in sight!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:55 am      Reply with quote
I think the Tan Towels are good. You can never go wrong with these as long as you wipe thoroughly and don't leave any wet spots on your body. And the color works with your own body chemistry.
skinrg
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I've been using coppertone Endless Summer Faces for 3 years now and love it so much! It has skin care ingredients in it and makes your skin Gorgeous. The colour is absolutely natural looking, and it gives your skin a healthy look as well. For the body I prefer Tan Towels. They aren't messy and give the body a nice natural colour. Not orange. I hope this helps! Very Happy
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
SummerTan is the best I have used to date.
I also like St Tropez and Clinique have a few good ones that are fairly new/reformulated.
Jentle
5% products discount

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:17 am      Reply with quote
Oh those orangie streaks and blotches and the SMELL! I've tried many and now have a personal favorite. It's called Made in the Shade Self-Tanner spf 15 so you can use it at the pool like you're applying sunscreen and sit in the sun or shade and get tan. Best of all it's an accumulative tan so the more you use it the tanner you get...never orange and doesn't have that WEIRD smell that ALL the other self-tanners have. I also think it's good to use a body brush to exfoliate before applying any such product so it absorbs easily and ALWAYS wash your hands after applying. I get mine at supernaturalskin.myarbonnecom
Lauren NYC
5% products discount

Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 am      Reply with quote
St Tropez is the only sunless tanner I use. I love it!
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:16 am      Reply with quote
For those that love St. Tropez (as I do), do you prefer the lotion or the mousse? I've only ever tried the mousse but am thinking about trying to lotion for my face. The mousse sinks into the pores too much for my taste.

Thanks!
mex0050
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:09 am      Reply with quote
Oh I am so glad this thread got started. I have been reading a lot on sunless tanners lately bc I have to get off of mine, I hate it. I use the Neutrogena micro mist stuff and its turning my bathroom orange....I thought its supposed to react with your skin, but now I'm realizing it's just a dye, it turns carpet orange, and unlike the linoleum - it doesn't wash out. Now I'm in a new apartment, and I don't wish to dye this one. I look okay if I apply this stuff correctly and take my time, but never really good. So it's not something I'm happy with because if I get a real tan I look REALLY good. I Just don't want to do that to my skin again.

I too have heard of tan towel and St Tropez. They use St Tropez along with a bronzer and gold or pearl flecked lotions at the set of dancing with the stars.

I also have Aviva Labs written down - they are responsible for many of the tans at the Oscars, I believe their new product was also in the Oscar baskets. I also have Breeze, California Tan, Fantasy Tan, South Seas, and Xen Tan written down. I collected many of these names off of a forum meant for spray tanning businesses (TanTalk). These are the brands they continuously rave about. South Seas is one I want to try really bad...its supposed to give you a coconut shell brown color. I did some more research and apparently some of the biggest celebrity spray tanners (Jimmy Jimmy Coco and Karine Kaplan) I remember being in Jimmy Jimmy Coco's site years ago and it said something about using a solution that creates a coconut shell dark tan color instead of the orange, Xen Tan is supposed to be the lighter natural color but has OLIVE undertones instead of red, orange or brown. Both California Tan and Fantasy Tan have been used on the set of dancing with the stars. Fantasy tan was also at the oscars this past year.

I have an airbrush...I'm thinking of buying a sample of the south seas and if I like it using my own airbrush to apply. I am SO tired of cleaning this gunk off my bathroom though....idk...I might have to go with tan towel. They have cheap spray tanning tents on eBay, but I think this just saves from overspray....the fine mist that discolors will still get around the room as it takes over an hour to settle.
laylatorrino

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried St.Tropez and fake bake but my absolute fave is Million Dollar tan. I use the cabana tan lotion twice a week and for special occasions I get spray tanned professionally and they use their solution. It doesn't smell like self tanners normally do and the color is the best I've seen. The product is organic and paraben free so it never irritates my skin and doesn't make me break out.
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
The only one i tried so far is " Almost the Real Thing Self‑Tanning Gel" from Paula Begoun.

Love it!

It is cheap, easy to apply and you can gradually get any color you want.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
I like St. Moriz, it's a knock-off of St. Tropez, it's like 3-4 bucks a bottle!
Carolhardinn

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:39 am      Reply with quote
Your Forum is interesting. I come to know interesting information by your blog.
miss_taken

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Another vote here for St. Tropez.
There's a woman who works in the area, she owns a bridal salon, and she swears by it. She claims when brides come in looking to get that sun kissed glow before the big day she recommends St. Tropez.
To be honest, I can't say I have firsthand experience - I have naturally dark skin so I've never had to worry about appearing tanned. Although you will still find me basking on the beaches in summer Smile
erica1981
5% products discount

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I St. Tropaz! I don't use it straight but mix it with their moisturizer. I find when I do this it is much more natural. When I put it on my elbows, knees, between toes and fingers I even use at tad more moisturizer mixed in.

I second mixing self-tanner with moisturizer or lotion. It makes it go on SO much smoother and looks very natural, and makes your product last longer...also helps hide the awful smell Confused
No matter which products I use, they ALWAYS have that smell!! Can anyone recommend one that doesn't??

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
erica1981 wrote:

I second mixing self-tanner with moisturizer or lotion. It makes it go on SO much smoother and looks very natural, and makes your product last longer...also helps hide the awful smell Confused
No matter which products I use, they ALWAYS have that smell!! Can anyone recommend one that doesn't??

Almost the Real Thing Self‑Tanning Gel from Paula Begoun does not have any unpleasant smell.

Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |