Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is there any hope?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Hello -

This past Chrismas - two days before - my niece's boyfriend, who was spending a year working in St. Croix - was at a party and due to the couple he rode with's fighting, chose to ride home (less than a 10 minute ride to where he was staying) with two guys who had been drinking. Nate was not wearing his seatbelt. The driver hit another driver and the result was a horrible crash that miraculoulsy everyone but Nate walked away from unscathed...Nate suffered a spinal cord injury that has left him without the use of his arms and legs. Awful. Awful. He was flown from St. Croix up here to Mass General (Boston) and received the news that he wouldn't walk or use his hands. I believe the injury is at the C5 on his spine?
He then went to a rehab where he has spent the past several months, though little progress has been made. I saw him at Easter and my heart was just breaking... he "celebrated" his 27th birthday in March, was an avid surfer, skiier, captain of his hockey team - a beautiful young man really. My nice has been suffering horrible panic attacks because I think she's wondering if she can handle this life. He has time and again told her she needn't stay with him but she just feels awful about it. They had just begun to expore the possibilty of a more serious relationship.
He has a strong, strong mom who will do anything to help her son (she's an athlete herself) and they are exploring every option out there. For instance, I believe they are on a one year waiting list for a doctor in Canada who works with spinal cord injury patients and through some kind of stimulus might at least be able to give him the use of his fingers and hands (he is an architect). He has spoken to several people who have been in his position who can now use their hands or walk with a walker..just so he can have some kind of hope.
I guess my question would be if you have heard of anyone in a similar situation who has recovered, or if you've heard of any new developments for the treatment of spinal cord injuries?
I know if Nate could turn back time he would have never gotten in the car and he would never have not worn a seatbelt...I just would love to be to offer words of hope.

xoMaria

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I also have a friend who was in a similar accident. He became a quadriplegic and is slowly recovering now. Any injuries to the "C" vertebraes are very serious though because they basically connect the nerves in your body to the nerves in your brain. So if you injure those, any part of the body below the neck will unfortunately suffer some type of immobility. As for my friend, he is slowly recuperating. I'm not very close with him, so I'm not sure about the progress of his condition but he has been able to leave the hospital, but in a wheelchair. You have to understand that these types of injuries are very hard to cure and heal incredibly slowly because the structure of our nerves are so unique.

Your friend WILL get better, but just not what he used to be. He will be able to go out to the mall. He will be able to take a stroll in the park. He will just need someone to help him get around. It's always sad to see athletes suffer these types of injuries because their whole life revolves around being able to move the body. However, accidents happen and the best thing anyone can do is to just be there and support them. What my friends did was create a charity, so that the patient's family can afford not to work and spend all their time helping him get around. It's a gradual process so remember to stay strong. I wish you, Nate and his friends and family the best. Just tell him you'll be there if he needs you and he'll be extremely grateful, even if he doesn't actually call for help. Just knowing that there's someone who cares is good enough for anybody.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Miracles happen EVERYDAY!
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry to hear that, mariav. That's really really sad.
I don't know if this is of any use at all since I don't know anything about the medical details... but in high school one of my classmates jumped into a pool and somehow broke his neck. We got him out of the pool and to the hospital. The doctors said that he would remain quadriplegic for the rest of his life. It was just terrible. HOWEVER, within 2 years he had recovered enough to walk with assistance. I lost touch with him but a few years ago a friend told me he can get around just fine with a walking cane. Again, I'm not sure if the medical circumstances are comparable but I hope this helps to show that there is hope!

All the best!!!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2011 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Miracles happen EVERYDAY!

VERY TRUE. I have heard many stories where people with brian and spinal injuries, tumors, surgeries were told they would not regain use of legs or worse. With time all have overcome and are capable of getting around and functioning normally. There is always hope, I sometimes wonder if doctors give worst case scenarios so as not to get hope up? Just know the body is amazing at healing, but that takes time with this type of injury. Best to him, and God Bless.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I sometimes wonder if doctors give worst case scenarios so as not to get hope up?

That is such a mistake, in my opinion. I'd like to see research where one group was told they'd improve and the other that they wouldn't. The mind is so powerful and can be programmed.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 04, 2011 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

I sometimes wonder if doctors give worst case scenarios so as not to get hope up?

That is such a mistake, in my opinion. I'd like to see research where one group was told they'd improve and the other that they wouldn't. The mind is so powerful and can be programmed.

I agree, yet with some people they seem to respond to an assessment like this with even more determination to prove the doctor wrong. Others I think might just give up with this diagnosis.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2011 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I guess my question would be if you have heard of anyone in a similar situation who has recovered, or if you've heard of any new developments for the treatment of spinal cord injuries?
I know if Nate could turn back time
he would have never gotten in the car and he would never have not worn a seatbelt...I just would love to be to offer words of hope.

I'm including some links that I think may offer hope, and help.
Journey Forward is in Canton, Mass. The Shepherd Center is in Atlanta, GA.
Will keep Nate in my thoughts and prayers.

http://www.journey-forward.org/bens.htm
http://www.journey-forward.org/aboutus.htm
http://www.shepherd.org/
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 05, 2011 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
SoftSkin wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:

I agree, yet with some people they seem to respond to an assessment like this with even more determination to prove the doctor wrong. Others I think might just give up with this diagnosis.

No, they are trained to tell as close to the truth as possible. whether they follow through or not is up to the individual doctor
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 06, 2011 5:29 am      Reply with quote
health2u wrote:
Quote:
I know if Nate could turn back time
he would have never gotten in the car and he would never have not worn a seatbelt...I just would love to be to offer words of hope.

I'm including some links that I think may offer hope, and help.
Journey Forward is in Canton, Mass. The Shepherd Center is in Atlanta, GA.
Will keep Nate in my thoughts and prayers.

http://www.journey-forward.org/bens.htm
http://www.journey-forward.org/aboutus.htm
http://www.shepherd.org/

Health2u - can't believe you mentioned this. Nate starts at Journey-forward next week! (He lives in MA).

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I will keep you posted of Nate's progress.

xoMaria

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 07, 2011 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
You'd be surprised at what people can heal from. I crushed my skull in a horseback riding accident fifteen years back. Brain damage from not breathing for so long, crushed bone in my head, memory loss, the whole thing. I'm fine now. To be honest, I was not okay for about three years. I stared at either the ground or the sky, and my mouth hung open a lot. Great for your junior high/high school social life, huh. Anyway, I snapped out of it by the time I was about 18, and you can't tell a thing ever happened to me. I'm a reasonably intelligent with a successful career. The body heals. My prayers are with you and your family, its hard to deal with the things life throws at you. It takes a long time to repair, but our bodies as well as our spirit are truly amazing.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:34 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |