Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tretinoin - Break-out for less wrinkles? Fact or Fiction?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
TNVATX

Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I recently started using Tretinoin (better known as Retin-A) for wrinkles. I decided to do a little online research to see how long before I'd start seeing results. Much to my surprise, I read over 100 reviews stating that the first month (or longer) will include a horrible break out. Confused Not sure why my doc didn't mention this.
So my question is -- if I'm not using this product for acne, will it cause acne anyway? Has anyone used this specifically for wrinkles and made it out alive (and by alive, I mean break-out free)?

The reviews did state that after a few months, everything is great - but these were all people who were using for acne, not wrinkles.

Would love to hear your experience...
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
I think if you aren't prone to acne, you won't have a problem. However, there is an ingredient in some of the tretinoin products that can cause acne in some people.
TNVATX

Sun May 01, 2011 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="rileygirl"]I think if you aren't prone to acne, you won't have a problem. However, there is an ingredient in some of the tretinoin products that can cause acne in some people.[/quote]

Do you know which ingredient? And is it in all versions or only certain brands? Thank you! Smile
Josh
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Isopropyl myristate is the main ingredient. It's found in the brand-name but sometimes the generics use it too.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2011 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have never had a breakout from Retin-A.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 am      Reply with quote
I did from the cream - it was awful. Pores that were not clogged before ended up very clogged.
Margaritis
5% products discount

Sun May 15, 2011 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi I've just bought AIROL tretinoin, has anyone tried that? is it any good? I dont' have acne anymore so I'm wondering if I will have abreakout if I use the product since I use to have acne.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2011 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
i've been using Retin-A for a year for wrinkles and haven't found that it's been diminishing my wrinkles

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 5:24 am      Reply with quote
When you say you've been using it for a year, that can meean many things. What strength were you using? what medium? How often were you using it etc?
BCgirl wrote:
i've been using Retin-A for a year for wrinkles and haven't found that it's been diminishing my wrinkles
Gidget
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 7:14 am      Reply with quote
Used it for many years -sorry to report it never did a thing for me except give me a constant battle with break-outs. Retin A, Renova - was a huge waste of my money and time.

Gidget
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Gidget wrote:
Used it for many years -sorry to report it never did a thing for me except give me a constant battle with break-outs. Retin A, Renova - was a huge waste of my money and time.

Gidget

If you didn't have any visible wrinkles, you would not see that the Retin A did anything visible. However, it is proven to increase collagen production. So I would guess that by you using it for so many years, you actually prevented some wrinkles that would normally have formed! Very Happy
Gidget
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 11:41 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Gidget wrote:

Gidget

If you didn't have any visible wrinkles, you would not see that the Retin A did anything visible. However, it is proven to increase collagen production. So I would guess that by you using it for so many years, you actually prevented some wrinkles that would normally have formed! Very Happy

Possible in some areas of my face, but I do have some wrinkles that never budged one smidgen. It did give me a constant battle with breakouts, did nothing for blackheads on my nose area and just wasn't the product for me. I guess everything doesn't work for everyone even if "proven" to do so. Too bad for me as many love it! Crying or Very sad

Gidget
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Nope, if anything, it cleared up my very acne prone skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Retin A for 20 years. I don't recall it ever causing breakouts, sensitivity or irritation of any kind. I really think it depends on the individual user. Also, it may be worth noting that people who have experienced problems are the ones most likely to write reviews. Benefits from Retin A (renova, etc.) take a long time to appear. Annoying side effects, such as breakouts or irritation, generally appear quickly.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Mine caused some massive irritation, but it was well worth it. Lasted a few weeks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
Do you apply moisturizer after applying your RetinA or is Retin-A the only thing on your skin at night time?
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Retin-A will not cause breakouts if you do not have acne prone skin. However, if you do have acne-prone skin like I did, when I first started the Retin-A 0.1% gel from ADC, my initial breakout period lasted almost a month and after that I have had flawless, poreless, skin for over a year - it works to keep your skin clear and wrinkle free ONLY and ONLY if you consistently keep using it without stopping. However, once you stop and restart again, the breakouts may occur once more due to the tretinoin in Retin-A causing dermal debris to surface to the stratum corneum.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2011 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I just turned 26 yrs old as well...so i don't have wrinkles except for the really tiny ones starting to form around my eyes...i've been using retin-a .05 cream on my face and around my eyes to prevent wrinkles, i find the .05 to be a bit strong because it still causes dryness and flaking even after months of use so I went down to a .025 cream. I don't see a decrease in wrinkles....but I still keep on using it as a preventative for wrinkles. In the past year i've noticed very tiny wrinkles around my eyes that weren't there last year that has crept up (with the use of retin-a every night)...i guess wrinkles are inevitable even if you do use Retin-A...but sometimes I wonder if retin-a use around the eye area actually causes wrinkles to creep up faster

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2011 10:23 am      Reply with quote
I used Retin-A Micro for a while and didn't have any breakouts, but my health insurance changed and it won't cover the Micro at the same rate now because there's no generic option. So I went back to using the regular cream... and DEFINITELY experienced some breakouts and majorly clogged pores. But after the first monthish they did seem to calm down, plus I'm a cheapskate now that we have a mortgage to pay. So I'm sticking with the low-price generic Retin-A for a while and seeing how it goes! Might go back to the micro if my acne worsens as summer draws closer. The cream's base is DEFINITELY more occlusive.

32, fair hair/eyes/skin, always a mix of dry/oily/sensitive/acne/clogged pores. But I keep getting compliments on my skin, so something must be working! Beauty blog at http://heliotro.pe; online dating coaching at http://theheartographer.com
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |