Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lip balms are addictive?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1382577/Is-lip-balm-addictive-Does-expensive-conditioner-work-Answers-key-questions-everyday-beauty-products.html

Came across this interesting article about how lip balms can actually make your lips worse because if affects the way your skin cells communicate with each other.

What do you all think?
joti
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:03 am      Reply with quote
i know my best friend is obsessed with using lip balm uses it 20 times a day as far as i'm concerned yet still has chap lips

i hardly use lip balm i brush my lips in the morning it removes the dry skin and i've never had any problems even in the winter

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Is there a difference between lip balm and lip stick?

ETA: That model is not human. A human cannot survive without pores. Another thing, she has no neck. Shoulders do not start at the jaw line.
It so irritates me when they alter a photo. Mad
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I use natural lip balms to protect my lips from the ingredients in some of the lip sticks & glosses I use.

And yes, I try not to use balm all the time (at home while alone) as I find my lips become dependent on it rather than producing its own oils. Lip balms are yummy though, and I enjoy a shine or colour on my lips.

Rarely my lips get quite dry and I need the balm, but that's usually when it gets too hot all of a sudden and I haven't clued in that I need to replenish my fluids & rehydrate. Also happens when I drink alcohol or on the rare occasions when I have a coffee which for me is quite dehydrating.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Gayle
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I had a problem with this until I stopped using ones with petroleum in them. I use ones now with natural ingredients & don't need them half as much. I keep a tiny container around with coconut oil I use at home, as I use it exclusively to cook with.
angelofthenorth
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 am      Reply with quote
Very interesting article oasisjc, I have had extremely dry lips for the last 12 years, I would use lip balm and it would stay moist for a couple of hours and then end up drier than I started off.

I can see how using lip balms can make your lips get addicted to the balms and prevent your lips from producing new cells, but I do believe that the extra dryness also depends on some of the ingredients.

My all time favourite lip balm was a lipstick style one by clarins, I could get away with using this twice a day and my lips would be moist all day they discontinued it about 7 or 8 years ago and replaced it with a sticky one that came in a tube, the new one dried my lips out and tasted awful.

I have started using balm balm organic lip balm that is pretty much made of oils and nothing else. I don't find my lips as dry since using it and I don't have to use a balm everyday.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:02 am      Reply with quote
My * spam alert * is so bad I have a lip balm in every room of the house so I always have some on hand. I would love to break this habit, but how? I mainly use either Lanolin, Vitamin E Oil or Paw Paw Ointment and wear lip gloss when I go out.

5% products discount

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I had the lip balm habit. I stopped using any waxed based products about a year ago. I'm trying to phase out petroleum products as well now. I do need to keep my lips "slick" though. Any sign of peeling and I start picking or rubbing to get the peels off. Slickness prevents me from noticing any irregularities.

I am really liking oiling my lips. Often I use olive oil, but sometimes vitamin E. I think I'm going to pick up coconut oil as well. It is easy to do at home, but more challenging away. I keep presoaked q-tips in a small ziploc bag in my dental kit. I brush after lunch and reapply then.

I decided to look into empty lip gloss containers for a portable option. I have heard that olive oil - and possibly others - should not be kept in plastic. There are some glass roll on containers, but I'm not comfortable with glass in my purse. I may park one of those on my desk at work. And I'll probably pick up a small plastic squeeze type tube as well, rationalizing that if the oil isn't in there long, it can't absorb many impurities from the plastic. Unless the wise ladies (and gentlemen) at EDS have other suggestions?

Very Happy
HippoMe
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:54 am      Reply with quote
I used to use LipIce and Labello ALL the time and almost every 5 minutes when I had braces put on my teeth, lips became so dry, not sure why. Now I only use Bee Natural Lip Balm from South Africa - http://beenatural.co.za/shop/product.php
tinali0202
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
i donot think lip balm is for hydrating lips.... it can smooth lips,,but not hydrating it
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't the same concept also apply to moisterizer being addictive? I think there is some truth if you overdo it. When I apply lip balm or moisterizer sparingly when I feel I really need it, then it doesn't happen as often that I feel I need it. When I use it frequently then I feel like I need to reapply it all the time. I did that before because my lip balms smelled and felt so great! Now I just apply this lip gloss plumper twice a day by Juice Organics. It's really nice with pomegranate oil and such.

34, dry thin skin with sun damage and pigmentation, dark circles, texture issues, a few fine lines, despised NLs, and lots of potential! Using 20% C serum, Osmosis Enlighten with vitamin A, Sunscreen, Lightstim, lots of supplements, green smoothies and juices, searching for the fountain of youth and looking into facial exercise and massage as well.
MidnightSunBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I am addicted to lip gloss. I have one hundred tubes. I make and sell lip plumping gloss. I am my own best customer. I use an additive that includes HA and GHK for plumping.

Dry lips are a sign of dehydration. We need more water than we think we do.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:33 am      Reply with quote
For me, dry lips are due to dehydration. I drink not more than 3-4 glasses of water a day Embarassed

It's humid all year round where I'm at so a lip balm is not neccessary at all if I'm well hydrated. In fact, I do find too, that certain lip balms make my lips even drier than before. I don't particularly like the taste of certain lip balms either, especially those with flavours. It's like eating perfume and there's a tartness to them.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |