Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Best hair oil?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 8:45 am      Reply with quote
What is the best natural/organic hair oil to use on hair? My hair is very dry, frizzy and poofy at the ends and I'd like something to help with this.

I heard coconut oil and argan oil. Are there any else?
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi oasis, I have naturally curly hair but unless it's overly humid, it's relatively frizz free.

Because curly hair tends dry, I only shampoo every other day. Conditioner is applied on wet hair and distributed with a wide tooth comb while I complete the shower. When conditioner is rinsed out, I apply a quarter size amount of jojoba oil then a tiny bit of conditioner as a leave in product.

Once a month I deep condition with coconut oil and leave it in all night. Macadamia nut oil is another great leave in conditioner but if too much is used, it can leave hair a little heavy. Shea nut oil is another great leave in with the same caveat as macadamia nut oil.

I've tried mixing pure argan oil with the Sally Hansen's knockoff of Moroccan oil as a leave in as well. It works better for me than the overpriced Moroccan Oil brand.

Hope this helps,

Athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 9:18 am      Reply with quote
I have thick yet baby fine somewhat wavy hair and use Shea butter (tiny amount) after massaging it onto skin. I am in Florida so it is humid and I do get the frizzies, This tames them nicely just not too much should be applied. I can apply to either damp or dry hair.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I've been really trying to look after my hair lately!! I am very lucky, my hair is pretty good considering all its put through I highlight every 5 weeks, straighten it with hot irons the works!!

I am really trying to grow it abit longer at the moment is just past shoulder length. I have noticed a very slight hair fall too, not much but I don't want it to get any worse either. I bought some argan oil and have been using that as a sort of leave in conditioner, after normal washing and conditioning. It smells really nice and my hair feels soft. I would like it to grow abit faster (there's my impatient side coming through again)

I was thinking of trying CP's, Folligen for Blondes to stop the hair fall. I did try taking mSM but my tummy just can't cope with supplements.

I also like to do a warm olive oil treamtment and leave it in overnight, just don;t think this is doing anything for the growth side of things. Can anyone recommend something for good growth please? thanks
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
What brand of argan oil do you all use or is it all natural? I used to use moroccan oil but it didn't do anything except add scent to it.
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 08, 2011 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
Macadamia oil is good. I apply a little bit to the ends while the hair is still a little damp after washing. I only use shampoo once a week or even once a fortnight. Shampoos with sulphates can be very drying. I use a silicone free, moisturising conditioner to wash my hair with, about every four days. Conditioner only washing is great for dry, coloured hair, especially wavy/curly hair. It leaves my hair less poofy & gives me nicer, more defines curls. I did need to try a lot of conditioners to find the right one for my hair though. A lot left it too dry & frizzy. Inecto is my favourite. The only downside to not using silicone products is that the tangles are harder to manage. A tiny bit of macadamia oil added to the ends each day or every second day helps immensely.
JackE

Fri May 13, 2011 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
It depends on if you use heat on your hair or not. I find that a lot of the natural oils can burn more easily because they have a low smoking point. I use heat protectants with silicone in it if I am blow drying / flat ironing my hair. If I am not using heat, I will use jojoba, coconut, olive oil, vitamin E oils. I also wrap my hair at night or at least braid it up to keep it from drying out.
I also wash my hair once or twice a week to keep it from drying out. I also have very curly hair that can get dry and frizzy so I can relate. I hope that helped. Smile

Oh, don't forget to check the labels of the oils too. A lot of the 'hair oils' out there are not just natural oil, it has other stuff in it that is not so natural. (in case you are going all natural)
amandaM
5% products discount

Fri May 13, 2011 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I have tried olive oil. I leave it on my hair for 5 minutes then rinse it.

It's great. Solved my hair loss problem, too.
askme

Wed May 18, 2011 8:14 am      Reply with quote
the best hair oil to use on hair for me is the moroccan oil, i specially use Pro Naturals Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment with Heat Protector, because it Helps strenghten the hair that's prone to breakage, splitting or snapping off, Gently smoothes the hair and form a protective mist on surface, against heat damage. Reduces friction from brushing and helps prevent further damage. Leaves hair healthy, shiny and resilient. it works really well.

Smile
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 11:07 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
What brand of argan oil do you all use or is it all natural? I used to use moroccan oil but it didn't do anything except add scent to it.

sorry for the late reply. I use a brand called Agadir. It's nice, but I'm pretty sure there is better things, especially for growth!
ElleWoods
5% products discount

Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I love the kerastase elixir ultime. It's relatively new but it can be used in wet or dry hair. It's very moisturizing and sinks into the hair without looking greasy, feeling heavy or like buildup and helps hair to resist humidity.

For reference I have very fine blonde hair.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Bermie2 wrote:
oasisjc wrote:

sorry for the late reply. I use a brand called Agadir. It's nice, but I'm pretty sure there is better things, especially for growth!

thanks! I'll look into that
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Rodin Hair Oil, hands down.
I've tried them all, from homemade to fancy.

Rodin hair oil not only moisturizes, adds luster, and doesn't cause the hair to look lanky and oily, it also had the most amazing scent ever--the only scent, in fact, that multiple men who don't like scents at all commented on.

[img]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0048/6702/products/rodin_by_recine_luxury_hair_oil_medium.jpg?297[/img]

http://www.amazon.com/RODIN-olio-lusso-Luxury-Hair/dp/B0047991KK

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I have found Broccoli Seed Oil to be the best for hair, however, I only use it for humid days. I use straight up 100% aloe vera gel from CVS as my hair gel/conditioner after I shower and shampoo and it dries clear, has a great natural looking hold.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2011 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Not really an "oil" cuz its mostly silicones, but MoroccanOil Light smells great, leaves my blonde hair blonde - not darkened like most oils do, and smoothes and protects against heat damage.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2011 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Not really an "oil" cuz its mostly silicones, but MoroccanOil Light smells great, leaves my blonde hair blonde - not darkened like most oils do, and smoothes and protects against heat damage.

I've tried that before and all it did was just dry out my hair cause of the cones.

LightenNLift, do you just use it as gel or does it actually help improve the condition of your hair tooo?
paulspnao
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2011 1:42 am      Reply with quote
Henna Nourishing Hair Oil promotes hair growth & stimulates hair follicles to grow new hair. Strengthens hair, prevents hair fall & reduces thinning of hair & baldness. The unique Ayurvedic formula of this oil makes it one of the best hair oil for regular hair care & health of your hair.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2011 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I like Curls hair oil, you can buy it online- no silicone in it.

Also like jojoba oil and used to buy fractionated coconut oil from the chemist-it has the wax removed or something like that!
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2011 3:23 am      Reply with quote
Macadamia nut oil really works for my hair. I use it as a prewash and I like Moroccan Oil Light.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2011 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I think we will find there is no "best" oil for hair, it is going to be quite individual depending on many factors, including hair type, condition, your climate (humid/dry) what else you use on your hair, how you style ect. All suggestions are good ones, it is just a matter of what works specifically on your hair.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 12:59 am      Reply with quote
The only product that has silicone I think that I liked is Bain De Terre hair oil.

not sure exactly what is in it as it is hard to find round here and price is so high compared to actual natural plant oils I haven't bought that brand in ages.

Moroccan oil smells nice, but left my hair more dry.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 11:14 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
fawnie wrote:

I've tried that before and all it did was just dry out my hair cause of the cones.

LightenNLift, do you just use it as gel or does it actually help improve the condition of your hair tooo?

Initially I used it as a gel but it quickly became an all in one benefit kind of treatment for me - since the aloe vera held my hair style and dried clear with a natural look, overtime I saw healthy hair as a result. Who would have thought Aloe Vera on hair right? LOL But it works!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 11:57 am      Reply with quote
LightenNlift wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
fawnie wrote:

Initially I used it as a gel but it quickly became an all in one benefit kind of treatment for me - since the aloe vera held my hair style and dried clear with a natural look, overtime I saw healthy hair as a result. Who would have thought Aloe Vera on hair right? LOL But it works!

LightenNlift,

I don't know the length of your hair but as I do recall from the Osmosis thread you are a male, correct? If your hair is short compared to many women this may work beautifully for you but may not on a woman's longer hair, clarify if I am mistaken please?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I am a man and have short hair and it works great for men, thanks for the clarification! You are quite observant and meticulous. Smile
Skyla
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
I use some oils with silk proteins, but I just tried organic coconut oil and just adore it; my hair needs moisture and the humid weather conditions make it frizzy. Morrocan Oil ( Argan) really didn't do much for my hair except add a scent. I have used jojoba oil, and that's nice.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |