Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

salicyclic acid and pregnancy
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
fulloflove2
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Can you use salicylic acid such as Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 hydrating treatment when pregnant? I have two drs and 1 said yes and the other said he really didnt know.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
You can but you should try to avoid it if possible. When aspirin (i.e. acetylsalicylic acid, a derivative of salicylic acid) is taken during pregnancy, you can risk drying out the amniotic sac and a number of other problems. So salicylic acid has the potential to do the same thing. However, when you apply it topically, a minimal amount will be absorbed so it may not be that significant to the fetus. Regardless, you should try to stray from any chemicals if possible.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
You can but you should try to avoid it if possible. When aspirin (i.e. acetylsalicylic acid, a derivative of salicylic acid) is taken during pregnancy, you can risk drying out the amniotic sac and a number of other problems.

Where did you get that information? I haven't heard that before. Usually aspirin is to be avoided in pregnancy early on as it may cause miscarriage.

Fulloflove2, I would ask your OB/GYN before using/taking anything if pregnant.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Salicylic acid

This mild acid is used to treat certain skin disorders, including acne, and you can find it in a number of skin products, such as cleansers and toners. It can penetrate facial oils to get deep into pores and clean out dead skin cells. Salicylic acid is in the aspirin family, so it can also help reduce inflammation or redness. BHA, or beta hydroxy acid, is a form of salicylic acid and is used in some topical exfoliants to reverse signs of aging.

But salicylic acid is another no-no for pregnant women. High doses of the acid in its oral form have been shown in studies to cause birth defects and various pregnancy complications.

Again, doctors are being cautious by recommending that pregnant women avoid the topical use of salicylic acid. Small amounts applied to the skin — such as a salicylic acid-containing toner used once or twice a day — are considered safe, says Johnson.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 10, 2011 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
oasisjc wrote:
You can but you should try to avoid it if possible. When aspirin (i.e. acetylsalicylic acid, a derivative of salicylic acid) is taken during pregnancy, you can risk drying out the amniotic sac and a number of other problems.

Where did you get that information? I haven't heard that before. Usually aspirin is to be avoided in pregnancy early on as it may cause miscarriage.

Fulloflove2, I would ask your OB/GYN before using/taking anything if pregnant.

Sorry, not the amniotic sac... I meant the placenta Embarassed
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Salicylic should always be avoided during pregnancy. It may cause some birth defects and complicate pregnancy. A high fruit and vegetable ratio in a woman's diet should be maintained throughout pregnancy to not only help keep acne more clear, but also for the baby's proper growth and development.
katinthemill

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 am      Reply with quote
i am of the belief that most things applied topically are perfectly safe!

i was doing training as a breast feeding councellor, and there is an expert in the transfer of medications into breast milk, called der thomas hale, (he has a HUGE fat book for the medical profession to refer to and an industry forum for questions which i can access) and there are 11 different ways that medictions etc can transfer into the breastmilk (thru blood plasma etc).
even with a patient needing to topically apply chemotherapy cream for skin cancer, it posed no risk at all, as the penetration of topical elements is virtually immeasurable... taking something orally is VERY different..
applying asprin to your face,for example, would do nothing...it would get nowhere near the baby...for it enter the palcenta, it hads to get into your blood stream, and that is not going to happen by applying it topically, whereas taking asprin orally would have a very different effect!

the reason WHY doctors say you virtually can take or do nil with medications is purely because it has not been tested on pregnant women and fetuses, as obviously that is not ethical, so it is safer to just say no to everything to avoid any recourse legally from a reaction...therefore pregnant/nursing mothers often miss out on very beneficial ,safe medications, because the drug company wants to cover its hind for even an elastoplast!

dr thomas hale is there to advise medical professionals when their patient needs something, yet it is contraindicated...he can tell them what the half life is of a drug, the amount that would absorb/transfer etc, so doctors can weigh up the risk of taking a drug vs not taking a drug...

i will use facial peel products when i am pregnant/nursing because i truly believe that it will have no effect whatsoever applied topically...i avoid any medication, even when not pregnant, as a rule, unless absolutely necessary,but i know enough from research to know that it poses no risk to my baby in my opinion....
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 am      Reply with quote
SecretB5StopsAcne wrote:
.... A high fruit and vegetable ratio in a woman's diet should be maintained throughout pregnancy to not only help keep acne more clear....

If only that actually worked to keep skin clear.
katinthemill

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
SecretB5StopsAcne wrote:
.... A high fruit and vegetable ratio in a woman's diet should be maintained throughout pregnancy to not only help keep acne more clear....

If only that actually worked to keep skin clear.

and only if i could have kept any fruit and vegetables down when i was pregnant!!!

as soon as the morning sickness started, my normal, wholefood vegan diet went LITERALLY out the window...it only had to touch my lips, and it was all systems ago!!!
Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |