Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Do Retin A users have an "unfair" advantage?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Faustine

Wed May 11, 2011 7:01 am      Reply with quote
As a teenagers my younger sister had that kind of perfect, fine poreless skin while I had thick, greasy, congested, spotty skin. As a result of using anti acne products I started using sunscreen everyday in my late teens and in my late 20's I was finally proscribed topical Retin A and now at 33 after years using retin a my skin is finally looking pretty good.
Time has not been quite so kind to my little sisters very fine skin and she has started comparing our skin and asking people who they think is younger and now they think I am the younger sister when I am actually older by 5 years.
My sister has decided that Retin A is the reason I'm not getting lines and wrinkles and has started moaning about how it is an unfair advantage that a minority of women have over the rest of them especially when they get it free on prescription. She has been to her doctor to try and get some but he refused as it would be for cosmetic reasons. She is not the only one we have many of the same friends and when it comes up in converstation with them several of them agree that Retin A use is an unfair advantage as it is not something they can buy in the chemists or department store. Even when I point out that I had horrible skin problems (and I still don't think my skin is perfect) until my late 20's they still think the advantage of not ageing as quickly is deeply unfair.

What do you think, do you think it is unfair or have you come up against this attitude from other women?
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I, personally, think your thick/oily skin has more to do with you looking younger. I am sure the RA contributed a little, but I would say your use of sunscreen has done more. Did your sister use sunscreen every day like you did?
Faustine

Wed May 11, 2011 7:28 am      Reply with quote
No she didn't she did use face creams but here in the UK sunscreen has only been a must have in the past 5 years or so and even then many people don't use it.

I have suggested to my sister that beautiful young girls with perfect skin like her can sometimes take it for granted and sometimes the lifestyle that results from being beautiful and popular with guys means that she and other like her are out partying, perhaps drinking more as a result and that has maybe aged her as well as a downside of her kind of skin which is in my opinion the most lovely skin type but it doesn't have as much milage as greasy thick skin like mine. She doesn't agree though.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I've been lucky in that when I first met my derm (who I've known for over 30 years - and pray he never retires) was also seeing some friends and I've used Retin A for that entire time. Do I think its unfair, not really. My friends who don't use Retin A and have aged have argued that the reason I look so good is because of it, but never attempted to find out about it for themselves.

Even if your sister did use sunscream pre 90's we were never aware of the UVA and UVB stuff, so it is still possible for them to get damage from these rays that are starting to show up now. One thing I'm thankfully though for is my derm - he's a gem and really knows his stuff.

If your sister was serious about Retin A, she could find a way of getting it (there are websites that sell it etc). So don't worry about it - there's nothing you can do until she helps herself!

I've always had dry skin (but so did my mother) and its so true that lifestyle and diet make huge differences. Your sister sounds like she's a bit jealous, so take it with a pinch of salt.
Faustine wrote:
No she didn't she did use face creams but here in the UK sunscreen has only been a must have in the past 5 years or so and even then many people don't use it.

I have suggested to my sister that beautiful young girls with perfect skin like her can sometimes take it for granted and sometimes the lifestyle that results from being beautiful and popular with guys means that she and other like her are out partying, perhaps drinking more as a result and that has maybe aged her as well as a downside of her kind of skin which is in my opinion the most lovely skin type but it doesn't have as much milage as greasy thick skin like mine. She doesn't agree though.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 8:32 am      Reply with quote
I don't think it's any different from getting plastic surgery or using various skincare products. Retin-A is so readily available for the public that really anyone can get it as long as you talk to your doctor and have the money. However, with the case of being born with thin, sensitive skin is just the luck of the draw. That's like complaining someone is faster than you in a race because they have longer legs. It's just life Confused
Faustine

Wed May 11, 2011 8:43 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc it's true.

She had pretty prolem free teen years out having fun while I was sat at home on saturday nights with a face covered in pimple cream! I'm just having my "pretty days" at a different stage in life than she did. I'll never be as beautiful as she was. The difference is that I really appreaciate looking good now while she took it all for granted.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Faustine wrote:
She had pretty prolem free teen years out having fun while I was sat at home on saturday nights with a face covered in pimple cream! I'm just having my "pretty days" at a different stage in life than she did.

Then that's pretty fair, init? Wink

Bad Grin
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
I would have her check with another derm/doctor about getting retin a. I'm guessing that many, many women (and men) use it for anti-aging purposes. I'm really kind of surprised that her derm refused the prescription.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
I put my bets on the sunscreen. My sister baked herself, she's six years younger than me and looks older now. I've always protected my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
I put my bets on the sunscreen. My sister baked herself, she's six years younger than me and looks older now. I've always protected my skin.

I completely agree with that! Wish I would've been wiser in my youth!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Nope. The first time I went to my skin care professional he said " You were the girl who didn't have even one blemish in her teen years"
- and he was right. He was also right when he said "and you are now ageing much more quickly because you have fine textured, dry skin." Right again. It's the luck of the genetic draw. But luckily, everyone can now get appropriate skin care and correction. Now I look ten years younger rather than ten years older than my peers. It had nothing to do with partying, etc. I'm so tired of the victimization of the "pretty girl". First of all, she doesn't even know she's pretty when she's young and doesn't understand the resentment; secondly it's just genetics!!! Give it a rest.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
That's weird that the doctor turned her down- isn't using it for anti acne also cosmetic?

I think your young looking skin has to be due to the sunscreen as much as retin A. Your sister should certainly start using sunscreen and even if she can't get ahold of prescription retin A (I thought you could order it from Mexico without a prescription?) there are lots treatments that have retinol that don't need a prescription. My sister has recently started using Afirm 3x which she ordered online- from dermstore, no prescription necessary. The first time she used it she probably used too much and her face almost burned the next day so it's strong.

I'm one of those girls who didn't have a single blemish... But I became vigilant with physical sunscreen use a couple years ago so my skin should stay nice for years to come. I'm not using anything but sunscreen. Maybe in a couple of years I'll incorporate a retinol product- I'm turning 25 this year. I don't think you have an unfair advantage... No one has accused me of using retin A, and I've had strangers compliment me on my skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I think you should keep talking to your sister about skin care. Talk to her about sunscreen and retinol products. I talked to my (older by 5 years) sister about skin care whenever it was appropriate- like if she buys a new eye cream and asks me if its good, I'll give her my opinion. I always encouraged her to try/borrow my sunscreens.

A couple of years ago, I was hesitant about recommending a retinol product because personally I believe that unless you're also using a great physical sunscreen it may do more harm than good. And that's what I would tell her if she asked for products that are the best for anti-aging, I would tell her that retinol is the best but if you use it you absolutely have to wear physical sunscreen every day. She would wear some sunscreen in the summer but didn't see the point to wear it year round.

It took a while, but after seeing her first tiny little wrinkles come in she's taking all of my advice now- she's both wearing physical sunscreen every day and using a retinol product. She still kind of makes fun of my "sun obsession" but now she's taking the precautions. Recently she commented that my obsession with the sun wound up leading both of us to some great products.

And uh, for my birthday last year, she got me a parasol- as in a frilly pink parasol. My first reaction was: you're making fun of me, but my secondary reaction was, wow this is awesome! She was extremely excited to give me that present, I think it was a little of both.

And people don't always know who's the older sister- she says thats because she acts immature and I'm the responsible one. But we both look young and attractive so it's not an issue.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I know many popular girls in their teens and early 20's who went tanning everyday, partied and drank...when we're young, our bodies are very forgiving....as we age, we begin to see the signs of what tanning and booze can do to the skin. It's easier to save the skin by prevention (drinking enough water,sunscreen, skincare regime, eating healthy) then it is trying to erase those wrinkles after the fact.

I've been on Retin A for about a year now and haven't seen any results that has diminished my wrinkles

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 am      Reply with quote
If your sister wants retin A that badly, she can get it from one of the overseas pharmacies such as ADC at a very low price.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I don't think it's an "unfair advantage" at all--I think some of us were cursed with prematurely aging skin, so using Retin A is just leveling the playing field! (And besides, like others have pointed out, access to it is not terribly hard or expensive.) I have used sunscreen diligently and hats many summers since I was a teen, and I still ended up with fine lines unfairly soon. I'm pretty sure it was a result of somewhat bad genes, acne, and hugely stressful life events. Now RA is reversing those lines (there's another one that's receding!) and I feel fortunate that my acne drove me to Retin A.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 13, 2011 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Faustine wrote:

She has been to her doctor to try and get some but he refused as it would be for cosmetic reasons.

She wouldn't be able to get the Retin A Cream through the NHS as they no longer offer it (don't know why). So there is only the gel version available anyway, which is for oily skin and contains alcohol.

She can either get the cream through a private dermatologist or buy online.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Of course RA users have an unfair advantage. The same as anything else. Actually I've talked about RA on other boards and the general public is skeptical. Nowadays people believe it's all airbrushing, plastic surgery etc.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Andn if she is really "desperate" then you can always order from online pharmacies
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
She can use other forms of vit A like retinol or retinaldehyde.

I think, those with genetically very good skin have an unfair advantage. My bf's sister has never used a single skincare product in her life due to her allergies, and even though she is 38 now she hardly looks 30. This what I call unfair advantage! Rolling Eyes
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

I think, those with genetically very good skin have an unfair advantage. My bf's sister has never used a single skincare product in her life due to her allergies, and even though she is 38 now she hardly looks 30. This what I call unfair advantage! Rolling Eyes

Agree! My sister is 10 years old, has barely used anything on her skin, no sunscreen, and looks my age or younger! Definitely unfair! Laughing
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

Agree! My sister is 10 years old, has barely used anything on her skin, no sunscreen, and looks my age or younger! Definitely unfair! Laughing

Should gt her to start using sunscreen or all those years are gonna catch up in a day Shock
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc, I don't know about that Very Happy My bf's sister's skin is allergic even to the tap water! So she does not use anything on her skin. Her mom is in her late 60s and never used a sunscreen either, looks very good for her age. When those years without sunscreen gonna catch up, I do not know!

oasisjc wrote:

Should gt her to start using sunscreen or all those years are gonna catch up in a day Shock
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
oasisjc, I don't know about that Very Happy My bf's sister's skin is allergic even to the tap water! So she does not use anything on her skin. Her mom is in her late 60s and never used a sunscreen either, looks very good for her age. When those years without sunscreen gonna catch up, I do not know!

oasisjc wrote:

Yes, I am going to also agree with this, RussianSunshine. My mother never used skin care products, nor wore sunscreen either. She had very minimal wrinkles when she passed away at 87. I really think genetics is the biggest issue is how someone ages. Yes, lifestyle, sun, etc. all do make a difference but I am not sure to what degree they really do, and I still feel even the difference they make is based on ones genetics.
Elvisshops
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with other posters that your better skin largely results from your skin type (oily vs dry)and your use of SPF, though I'm sure the Retin A is also an important factor. Most derms will tell you that the best anti-ager is sunblock -- not the "miracle" lotions and potions we buy.

As someone else mentioned, your sister could go to ADC for retin a. Also, there are some products that contains retinoids and retinols that get raves. I haven't heard much about it lately, but Green Cream used to get a lot of attention. It's OTC.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |