Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bad reaction on SkinActives sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
My skin turned to be very sensitive in a matter of few days of using this sunscreen.

I was blaming at first on Vit C. Then i though it's coming from my Glycolic face wash. But i used both weeks before starting this new sunscreen.

Few days ago my daughter said her skin is burning right after she applied it on her face. And we have totally different skin type. Mine is a combination of normal to dry. Her is very oily.

Can please someone help me to find the ingredient that cause this type of reaction?

It must be something not commonly used. I use other creams from SkinActives with no problems.

This is the ingredient list from their site:

Purified Water, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, C 12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Cyclomethicone, Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol Acetate, /Camellia oleifera/ (Green Tea) Extract, Chamomile (/Anthernis nobilis/) Extract, /Calendula officinalis/ Extract, Ginseng (/Panax ginseng/) Extract, /Gingko biloba /Extract, Licorice (/Glycyrrhiza glabra/) Extract, Hyaluronic acid, Sodium PCA, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea.

Thanks.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
Those ingredients look pretty standard to me. The only thing I can think of is probably the extracts starting from chamomile. Do your other skincare products contain extracts?

And could you post your entire skin regimen because the sunscreen could possibly interact with the other products you're using
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Well, i like trying new things. So i vary my skin products pretty often. I am sure many of them using all kinds of extracts, but who knows...

Here is my current regiment:

AM
Washing with water only
Carrot seed Toner from NCN
Orangedaily Vit C
Sunscreen
I am back to La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizing Sunscreen.
It was very good, but i wanted to increase SPF. I'll try next PC's new SPF 25.

PM
L'Oreal Eye makeup remover
Jan Marini Bioglycolic Facial Cleanser
Carrot seed Toner from NCN
PC's serum with Retinol
PC's RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer

Thanks for helping.
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention. When i first noticed the reaction, i tried to remove Orangedaily Vit C for a couple of days.
Instead I used in AM same serum i use in PM
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Could be a reaction to the sunscreen actives. What are they? I don't see them listed within the ingredients. My skin will react like you are describing to certain SS blends.
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Really? GirlieGirl.

I don't understand much in this. But that's all they listed on their website:

http://www.skinactives.com/Sunscreen-SPF-30-Advanced-Protection.html

I am just trying to understand what components i should avoid in skin products.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 5:35 am      Reply with quote
GirlieGirl wrote:
Could be a reaction to the sunscreen actives. What are they? I don't see them listed within the ingredients. My skin will react like you are describing to certain SS blends.

Hi GirlieGirl,

These are the actives found on skinactives site:

Active ingredients*: Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 7%, Octisalate 5%. We use this sunscreen extensively here in Arizona. It absorbs very well and provides extended protection and additional skin health benefits.

http://www.skinactives.com/Sunscreen-SPF-30-Advanced-Protection.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Thanks DarkMoon.

I saw this, but i totally ignored the list of ingredients on this tab.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 5:59 am      Reply with quote
YB wrote:
Thanks DarkMoon.

I saw this, but i totally ignored the list of ingredients on this tab.

No problem YB, I use physical only sunscreens so it is hard to say, however chamomile, calendula and green tea in the ingredients you posted are typically soothing to the skin. Unfortunately a reaction to any ingredient is always a possibility at any time, regardless if it is natural or not.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 7:18 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Unfortunately a reaction to any ingredient is always a possibility at any time, regardless if it is natural or not.

You are so right. I, for example, have a reaction on jojoba oil. God knows why! But my skin turns red if jojoba oil touches it.
If i persist with it for a couple of days, my skin turns to look like sandpaper.

No other oil i tried gives me this kind of reaction.

I guess i'll just have to keep the list of ingredients from this sunscreen close by until i bump into this burning reaction again with another product.
At least i'll have something to compare it to.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 am      Reply with quote
YB wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Unfortunately a reaction to any ingredient is always a possibility at any time, regardless if it is natural or not.

You are so right. I, for example, have a reaction on jojoba oil. God knows why! But my skin turns red if jojoba oil touches it.
If i persist with it for a couple of days, my skin turns to look like sandpaper.

No other oil i tried gives me this kind of reaction.

I guess i'll just have to keep the list of ingredients from this sunscreen close by until i bump into this burning reaction again with another product.
At least i'll have something to compare it to.

I know it is quite frustrating, one member had a reaction to Avocado Oil, me I tend to react to drugs antibiotics in particular. One I was born allergic too 2 others waited until I was in my 40's to hit?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
You're probably reacting to the chemical sunscreens- the octinoxate and octisalate.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
The ingredient list looks standard but are there any ingredients in this product that you haven't tried before? Everyones skin reacts differently and it could be one of the lower level ingredients. Backtrack on the other ingredients and you might be able to find something in it that dosent agree with your skin.
YB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:58 am      Reply with quote
echoecho wrote:
The ingredient list looks standard but are there any ingredients in this product that you haven't tried before? Everyones skin reacts differently and it could be one of the lower level ingredients. Backtrack on the other ingredients and you might be able to find something in it that dosent agree with your skin.

I don't know, really. I only recently started to check the ingredients and don't understand much in it. I am waiting for the next time i get the same reaction to compare.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:09 am      Reply with quote
It's a shame the ingredient list is long, it means that if you wanted to stay away from those ingredients it would rule out quite a few products. What you should do is keep that bottle of sunscreen and when ever you do purchase a new product put the sunscreen on a small patch of skin on your forearm and the new product on the other, that way if you do have a reaction you can compare and see if there are any differences in the irritation. Smile
MaNiMuM

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
I have a similar problem with this sun screen and also with Super City Block Oil-Free Daily Face Protect from Clinique. It starts with redness and then flaky skin and then terrible breakouts. I checked the ingredient lists and they both share Zinc Oxide, Octinoxate, Octisalate.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |