Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peeling, Exfoliating, Scrubbing
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
takiko
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Just wondering what's the difference among peeling, exfoliating, scrubbing as there are many products on them, and how often should these products be used Rolling Eyes
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2011 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Exfoliants come in two main kinds: chemical (acids like BHA & AHA, strong ones are often called peels) and physical (scrubs, washcloths, microfiber, buf-pufs, etc.). Chemical ones are generally considered more even and predictable than physical--you can accidentally tear or otherwise damage your skin with the harsher physical ones.

As for frequency, it depends on how sensitive your skin is, how frequently your skin naturally renews itself (young skin renews every couple of weeks, older skin maybe once a month), and what your goals are. Two or 3 times per week is maybe typical; once a week is often plenty for very sensitive or Retin-A-treated skin; some thick-skinned people trying to reduce dullness or breakouts might exfoliate every day.

5% products discount

Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I use a micro-dermabrasion paste 3 times a week in place of my Anti-Age regimen's wash. Whatever you use make sure the beads are sphereical so that can go in and out of your pores quickly without tearing them.

5% products discount

Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I use a copper peel. It brightens up my skin. It's my third time last night. My skin looks better.
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
A scrub is an exfoliation product and exfoliating is basically using a scrub to take dead surface skin cells off. A peel is not much different than a mask or a scrub, it is a part of the exfoliation process.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
takiko wrote:
Just wondering what's the difference among peeling, exfoliating, scrubbing as there are many products on them, and how often should these products be used Rolling Eyes

Exfoliation means removal of excess dead skin cells on your face. There are two methods of exfoliation - manual and chemical.

Manual exfoliation is comprised of scrubbing with beads or small particles - this is NOT recommended because when you scrub your skin manually, it entraps and generates heat within your skin causing irritation and redness (sometimes its microscopic)

Chemical exfoliation is safer because it removes what is necessary through peeling - in the case of Retinoids and invisible removal of dead skin cells through AHA/BHA creams, lotions, liquids.

A sunscreen (preferably a natural physical one) is always recommended following daily exfoliation to protect new skin cells.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
takiko wrote:

Make sure you don't go crazy when you first start off exfoliating. Like rockhugger said, exfoliating is a very personal experience. Some tolerate it more and others not so much. But do make sure you start off slowly at first and then build your way up to higher concentrations and frequencies once you've figured out whether your skin likes it or not
lookingyoung

Wed May 25, 2011 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I use black soap on my body to exfoliate. It is Made from olive, argan and eucalyptus oils. It is a soft soap and is really good for feet. It just dissolves all the dead skin cells.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Geat explanation rockhugger!

You explained it very well

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, fairlady!

That's very kind. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
You may want to try the 2 different kinds of exfoliation for a period of time and see which works better for you.
I've discovered that physical exfol. doesn't really agree with my skin. It can actually make me break out, and I can easily get a 'raw' look to my skin that I don't get with peels.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Youw ill also have to experiment using BHA vs AHA. Not everyone can tolerate BHA even if it's suitable for that skin type.
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
And to be clear: AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) are mild surface exfoliants.

BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acids) are unique in that they can get into the pore and clean off the pore wall. They are excellent for blackheads, congested skin, and blemishes.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 am      Reply with quote
I agree - BHA or Salicylic Acid at 2% well formulated with a low pH of less than 3, will work effectively in cutting through the lipid-oil layer of your stratum corneum and going deep into your pores to declog them and clear them out, making them appear less visible to the eye and giving you a healthy complexion.
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Ya it's best to experiment with the different types of exfoliation and see what works best. I consistently use a microfiber cloth in the shower as physical exfoliation, but I read on acne.org that that can be irritating for the skin, so I stopped for a month and just used my regular glycolic acid cream -- my skin, which is normally clear, has been breaking out a little bit. So I'm back to physical exfoliation. On other people, though, it's the opposite.

I have a lot of very fine hair on my face which tend to become slightly ingrown I think and that causes my breakouts -- that's why the physical exfoliation helps me. I also don't break out in large pimples - I think physical exfoliation can irritate those and stop them from healing properly.
tckmtracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I seldom use these products because I use clear lotion to swab dead skin. It is mild then these products...
Betta Red

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
Is dead sea mud good for skin exfoliation? I heard it will do wonder in the skin. I just ordered one small can from Fubao Health. Hope it will works. :roll:
tckmtracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Betta Red wrote:
Is dead sea mud good for skin exfoliation? I heard it will do wonder in the skin. I just ordered one small can from Fubao Health. Hope it will works. Rolling Eyes

It may have exfoliating function but not obvious. I think it is a deep cleansing mask.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
takiko wrote:

Every form of exfoliating is different and some people explained it well. To know how often to use one all depends on the season, conditions you live in and what else you are using. Sometimes your skin will become sensitive and other times you may be using all different type of exfoliation at once.

Just pay attention to your skin and what your skin needs and know when to take a break.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
scrubbing also can't remove dead skin as well as chemical exfoliants because you have to physically scrub the particles into every corner of your face to get it completely exfoliated.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:16 am      Reply with quote
SoCalGal explains it well. Only chemical exfoliating will actually do a better job microscopically. The scrubs only do a surface job. It may appear to, because skin ends up being soft.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |