Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Smoking and skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I was looking in testimonials from people that quit smoking and what difference they saw in their skin.

I’m really trying to quit smoking and my main motivation is my skin (I need something I can see results on to get me motivated). Why spending $ on skin care when I know that smoking is the worse thing for you skin…
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2011 9:39 am      Reply with quote
chantrelle99 wrote:
Hello,

I was looking in testimonials from people that quit smoking and what difference they saw in their skin.

I’m really trying to quit smoking and my main motivation is my skin (I need something I can see results on to get me motivated). Why spending $ on skin care when I know that smoking is the worse thing for you skin…

You may want to post on this thread for members trying to quit and some who have. Very Happy

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14669

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Chantrelle, get on a nicotine cessation product, join a support group and just do it!
You don't need to hear any testimonials when you know as well as I do that smokers look 25 years older than their chronological ages (at least!)
Check out the wizened faces on the COPD commercials.
Google the twins studies on siblings who do and do not smoke with side by side photos.
Good luck. It's obscene that the tobacco companies make enornous profits selling death!
Start putting your cig money in a jar and buy yourself that dream vacation - or sexy sports car. The money alone should be a great incentive.
I hope you succeed!
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the references. My final quitting was next week…. I have been cutting down for the last two weeks. But now it is tomorrow May 26. Razz
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
To keep you motivated, bookmark this website or put up photos of all these people where you can see them. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33385839/ns/health-skin_and_beauty/t/twin-study-reveals-secrets-looking-younger/
cashmerelover
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:37 am      Reply with quote
try champix, it worked for my husband when nothing else did.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Smoking not only negatively influences the skin but also takes a toll on both hair and nails. Many people come into the spa with yellow nails as a direct result of smoking. If you have ever had yellow nails it could be due to smoking.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
cashmerelover wrote:
try champix, it worked for my husband when nothing else did.

I'm on Champix now. And yes it works well.
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Yikes! No offense, but I think both of the twins in the Twin study link look awful! They both look way older than 52 yrs. My Mom will be 66 this year and she looks way better than either of those two (Plus she smoked until she was 48 yrs old and came from the generation of sunbathing lovers).

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Fair Lady, why would you start a sentence with "no offense" then go on to deeply offend?
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Determined - sorry if you were offended as that was not my intention. I just believe both of the twins equally look as though they have been baking in the sun and smoking. Their skin (IMO) looks far more aged and damaged than most women in their age range. The majority of women in their early to mid 50's that I encounter, still have lovely skin and look much healthier. I don't think that either twin's skin looks much better than the other.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Just chiming in with a thought or two, which will probably not help at all.. Laughing

- Personally I think DNA has more to do with the look and condition of the skin through the aging process, than extrinsic aging factors.. (My guess is 70/30 ish) DNA being 70.

- I've smoked for 46 years without any more than a 3 month break, and my skin is unbelievable for my age..(In fact it looks better than most 35 or 40 year olds I've been compared to.. (Not my words, cause I couldn't care less, just telling you what I'm told constantly.) Also, I am not at all condoning smoking, and feel confident that if I could finally quit, I'd look about 30 again, so yeah, I think quitting has positive effects on the skin.

- In addition to smoking, I also don't shy away from wine, and have 3 to 5 glasses (approximately) of Merlot each week.. (I seldom have any other alcohol.)

- Quitting smoking definitely has a positive effect on skin color, and improves malar bags..(The longest I went without smoking was 3 months, and my malar bags were almost gone and my skin looked very pink.)

Long story short is this; If my DNA wasn't protecting me from the ravishes of smoking and drinking, I'd be an old hag by now... But guess what? I'M NOT... Dancing Dancing Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, I do also believe that DNA plays the largest role into the skin aging process and I would also believe that extreme sun exposure does more damages to your skin than smoking.

The changes I’m hopping for is to get a healthier looking skin. I religiously take care of my skin and it looks pretty good but hopping my skin care routine would now have a greater impact on my skin than before.

It is been 2 weeks I have not smoke at all…

Don’t stop trying Kassy one time it is going to be the good one. I had tried 7 times before this one. But this time I fell different about it, it is not has hard has before.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Well my mother is a life long smoker and her skin was ok until a few years ago but now the smoking is really showing up. I notice on my fathers sisters that those who smoke have many more lines and more sagging than those who don't even having other habits, diet, sun bathing etc in common.

It most likely varies but without a doubt smoking has a negative impact on your skin!
queenielau718
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:28 am      Reply with quote
 Tobacco contains Nitrosamines and Formaldehyde which known as human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent)

 Tobacco also contains Formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide, they are a by-product of the combustion process of tobacco smoking. Both of them are poisonous and/or carcinogenic

 All those cancer-causing chemicals will condense on the mucous membranes in throat.

 All those chemical makes mouth harder for saliva to remove germs in mouth, causing bad breath!

 Smoking decrease blood flow to skin. This leads to leathery-looking skin and increased wrinkles

Smoke also contains benzene, nitrosamines, formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide
 Benzene can cause irritation of stomach. Smokers are prone to peptic ulcers.

 Benzene also causes rapid heart rate, blood vessels constricted. Raising blood pressure and force the heart to work faster and faster. Smoking is a major cause of heart disease.

etc............more to go...............

Glad to hear that most of you have quit smoking Very Happy

 Nitrosamines and Formaldehyde as known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent)

 Formaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide is
a by-product of the combustion process of
tobacco smoking. Both of them are poisonous and/or carcinogenic

 All those cancer-causing chemicals will condense on the mucous membranes in throat.

 All those chemical makes mouth harder for saliva to remove germs in mouth, causing bad breath!

 Smoking decrease blood flow to skin. This leads to leathery-looking skin and increased wrinkles

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
My sister is a heavy smoker and almost a decade younger.. we look the same age.. I do believe her skin doesn't handle the smoke very well. Maybe thicker skin can handle it, but she's got lines etched in her forehead and I have none. That being said, I think sun exposure weighs heavier on aging than smoking does.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:14 am      Reply with quote
Yes. Smoking dries out your skin. Also when you smoke you tend to squint when the smoke get near yours eyes and that'll cause fine lines to appear. Stop smoking and drink more water.

Beside the benefits to your skin, you'll also smell better, foods will taste better, your teeth will be whiter, and you'll live longer! Take it from an ex-smoker! It may take a while to "undo" the damage, but you'll be glad you quit.
SecretB5StopsAcne
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:26 am      Reply with quote
You are telling about a very good thing. Every smoker knows that what bad affect he or she will be suffered. The first thing their lips become dark. After smoking regularly for a long time many disease affect your skin.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:09 am      Reply with quote
The reference queenielau718 makes to 'Smoking decrease blood flow to skin. This leads to leathery-looking skin and increased wrinkles' should be particularly taken note of because as this is essentially a beauty board and a large amount of forum members are looking for ways to improve skin due the aging process.

AGE: 25. Some laxity, fine lines, rosacea, and crepey skin. USING: Tripollar STOP, Lightstim, Slendertone Face, Microcurrent Wand, Almighty Ultrasound Device, Olay Cleansing Brush, Neck Line Slimmer. Retin-A, MUAC peels, and taking beauty supplements. Botox eyebrow lift and HG lip products are Too Faced.
eyebright
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have quit many times cold turkey. Each time I slept a lot which in turn made me look rested, my skin had a nice healthy glow to it. I was happy.

Due to the imposed stress to my life,I'd start smoking again. I finally decided to quit quit smoking. I'm a smoker. To combat this, I do cleanses to detox and also use supplements to negate the negative effects my habit may be causing. I do breathing exercises.

Thanks to this forum, my skin is not as wrinkly and I do not look my age.I love being out in the sun,love that heat, love to get a tan while gardening. Gasp! I never use sun screen because I want the natural dose of vitamin D.

I realized that my wrinkles were caused by driving without sunglasses. Now I have a pair in each car. I'm also cautious about the muscles I use when I react to some news. A mirror by the phone helps.

Now,my mom does not smoke nor drink. Her skin is leathery. She's a sun worshiper like me. My grandma never tanned and never smoked nor drank. She's the one who caught cancer. Go figure. She did worry a lot.

I think that we should enjoy life to its fullest and moderate everything we do. We're all going to die because we live. We all catch colds, flus, get headaches, pull a muscle.

No matter how healthy/organic/natural we try to make our lifestyles, sooner or later we find out that some chemical has been introduced into it which is unhealthy.

Why quit something if the result makes one miserable? Or, why quit something due to the fear of its effects?

Relax. Live life and be happy. Acquire a positive attitude.
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 am      Reply with quote
eyebright wrote:
I have quit many times cold turkey. Each time I slept a lot which in turn made me look rested, my skin had a nice healthy glow to it. I was happy.

Due to the imposed stress to my life,I'd start smoking again. I finally decided to quit quit smoking. I'm a smoker. To combat this, I do cleanses to detox and also use supplements to negate the negative effects my habit may be causing. I do breathing exercises.

Thanks to this forum, my skin is not as wrinkly and I do not look my age.I love being out in the sun,love that heat, love to get a tan while gardening. Gasp! I never use sun screen because I want the natural dose of vitamin D.

I realized that my wrinkles were caused by driving without sunglasses. Now I have a pair in each car. I'm also cautious about the muscles I use when I react to some news. A mirror by the phone helps.

Now,my mom does not smoke nor drink. Her skin is leathery. She's a sun worshiper like me. My grandma never tanned and never smoked nor drank. She's the one who caught cancer. Go figure. She did worry a lot.

I think that we should enjoy life to its fullest and moderate everything we do. We're all going to die because we live. We all catch colds, flus, get headaches, pull a muscle.

No matter how healthy/organic/natural we try to make our lifestyles, sooner or later we find out that some chemical has been introduced into it which is unhealthy.

Why quit something if the result makes one miserable? Or, why quit something due to the fear of its effects?

Relax. Live life and be happy. Acquire a positive attitude.

I'm not a smoker but am a huge fan of chocolate (gotta love a good metabolism) which when it comes to the physical aging process can be just as bad. I'm also very big on skincare (just look at my signature) it's my hobby (trying new things, seeing the results, i work in the field etc) and everyone likes to look good.

Your one hundred percent on the mark, why quit something when the result makes you feel miserable? When it comes down to it a happy life is more important than good looks or even just not as beautiful as you could have been had you actually quit.

It's when it comes to your vice causing imposing serious health problems that one should step back.

I also second the positive attitude.

chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:39 am      Reply with quote
Well your right there is not point in doing something that make us fell miserable. This is why this time I accepted to take some pounds on from not smoking and I went buying all new clothing which I like a lot and fell real comfortable in. Well this time I don’t fell miserable about the 10 pounds I put on (I’m only 5’’1). Even better I fell sexy because I’m not stock in tight uncomfortable tight clothing, like those other time I stop. The best is that my breast also got bigger (I now really fully fill-in my A Laughing )

As far as my skin is there are not as much changes as I believed i would get. But then again I have been taking very good care of my skin before. But maybe my lines between my brows are better. I should have gone for my Botox 3 months ago but I did not have the money at the time. Now a about 6 weeks of not smoking I can tolerate the sight of my frowns! I guest smoking was making me frowning (during inhaling) and stopping that habit is making the frowns not coming back as fast. Maybe, I would be getting Botox for my frowns once a year now Smile .
echoecho
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:28 am      Reply with quote
You can actually do that without the lines showing up, depending on how long you have been using botox for.

ting27

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes! This post reminds me of Virginia Slims, who I learned about in my physiology class. Smoking not only affects your skin, but your internal organs so much more. Imagine if you could see your internal organs. If the outside is going bad, than imagine how bad is the inside. Good luck on your commitment!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:51 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |