Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
What happens to you when you over exfoliate?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
So I recently found a very good routine. When I first used BHA, I started out too strong with a 2% and my face ended up breaking out in flesh coloured bumps, patchy red skin and just a bit shiny. So I stopped it for a while until my skin calmed down. Then I tried a 1% BHA and left it on for only 10 minutes at night every other day. This worked really well for me and my skin has been looking the best it ever has and I was really excited. Then I thought my skin could tolerate it and started using it every night for 10 minutes and ADDED a 10% AHA for 10 minutes once a week. I believe this is when I started to go back to my over exfoliation symptoms before except this time, I'm producing mass amounts of oil!! It's really horrible!!

I was wondering if anyone knows what I should do to let my skin heal. Should I continue with the 1% bha every other night or just stop it until my skin gets better?
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2011 1:49 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that sounds like irritation from over-exfoliation. I would take a rest from the BHA for a few nights until your skin feels more normal. And the oil production may be a response to irritation too, as well as different climate.

Traveling really does a number on me, and I have learned to be extra gentle with my skin (e.g., not use Retin A too soon) after flying a long time or to a different climate. My skin needs time to adjust, otherwise it breaks out pretty bad. Hope yours gets better soon!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2011 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I think everyone is different. Years ago, I would use AHA & BHA, physical scrubs & microdermabrasion and I had no issues.
Today, I use retinal with physical scrubs, chemicals scrubs and I have no issues as long as I wear sunscreen.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 15, 2011 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
I asked the Paula's Choice team if oil production could be a sign of over-exfoliation and they seemed pretty certain that it wasn't. That's the only thing that is confusing me out of all this =/
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Well, they might be wrong. They do say that irritation can cause oil production, and if the acid is irritating you, then oil could follow. Oil could also be a reaction to different climate, or even overcompensation for the dry airplane air.

Have the bumps and redness decreased?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah very very slowly though. Ugh, totally making me depressed on my vacation Sad

I stopped using the BHA for two days and then did a mask, and it's starting to calm down a bit. Hope it continues to get better Rolling Eyes
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2011 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
I guest they might be more than one fact making your skin very oily. Recent change in exfoliation routine + new products + climate change it is a lot for your skin to deal with.

But, if it is getting a bit better with cutting back on exfoliating it is a good sign it is getting under control now.

I know when I travel to places that are a lot warmer and sunny than where I live, I don’t use my retin-A all, unless the trip is more than 2 weeks. If it is a longer trip I give my skin a good week of rest before I slowly start back with it.

Any way good luck
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Your age, metabolism, immune system, proper supplementation are all factors to how quickly your skin bounces back from over-exfoliation. Typically, ONE method of exfoliation is enough for skin - for me its Retin-A. I see people who use Retin-A, AHA, and other exfoliants all in one day and Im just apalled because your skin doesnt have that much dead skin cells. Instead of using too many exfoliants in one day, why not just opt for a full chemical peel at the end of the week or use the strongest Retin-A nightly and a strong sunblock.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for that LightenNlift! I've been a little confused as to why so many find it necess to exfoliate in so many different ways. Before I started tretinoin I used to do a weekly asperin/etc mask, but it just doesn't feel very good to me now, or it doesn't seem like it makes much of a difference because my skin is already properly exfoliated.

I keep reading about people who are using different acids and exfoliants either daily or weekly, and keep thinking that it may be the responsible thing to do, and maybe I'm missing some gunk in there which I should be clearing out. But aside from my microfibre, I don't feel the necessity to use anything more.

I gather they're trying to push the skin into renewing itself more quickly, but personally, I don't feel like that's what's going to happen, i.e. my skin just may not be able to keep up. It just seems like I'd be removing whatever kind of necessary protective layer is there and making it more vulnerable to damage.

But then again I don't have particularly even toned skin, large pores and a few little marks from early bouts of acne, so maybe I really should be trying to escalate this exfoliating process for that reason? I'd appreciate any feedback!

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I have two cents comment.

Some people need a lot of extra help with cell turnover. I need it. With age, I find that I use less by not using AHA & BHA, and physical scrubs. I do use prescribed RetinA and now my doctor told me to cut back. I have, and already I can see poor skin tone and small breakouts.
I am going to go back to microdermabrasion, but I will do it less frequently then I did in my twenties & early thirties. My skin really need all the extra help. So maybe it has something to do with our genetics and cell production. As we age, our skin get more dull and exfoliation is the key to help the younger skin to come out.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, it's so hard to know just how much exfoliation you need. When I don't do it enough, I start getting blackheads and when I do it too much, I get irritated
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2011 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Yeah, it's so hard to know just how much exfoliation you need. When I don't do it enough, I start getting blackheads and when I do it too much, I get irritated

Yes, I agree and sometimes you have to know when to slow down with exfoliating and maybe a few days later or a week or so, you have to go back to more of an aggressive routine.

In the summer, I need more exfoliating, but I know I can't over do it because the heat of the sun can make my skin feel more sensitive.
tckmtracy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2011 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I tried to use deep cleansing mask & scrub every other day few years ago. However, my skin became sensitive than before (but not irritating immediately), easy to get rash, dryness when the weather change.
I use for years to make my skin get stronger.
Over exfoliation can make your skin get worse and sensitive.
I use deep cleansing mask once every week and seldom use scrub now.
I think you would better to stop any exfoliating products to let your skin heal.
Shadowvenuz
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:19 am      Reply with quote
If you overexfoliate, your face will feel quite dry and tight, because you just exfoliated all the excess oil a little too much.
And you might notice your face looking a little red and dehydrated.
Shadowvenuz
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Maybe try exfoliating only 1-2 times a week, or 3..but not more than that, else you will have to tend to the dehydration.
ketchup
5% products discount

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 am      Reply with quote
Well everyone is different, but i did the same as you and i learned my lesson.

If you use strong acids like AHA/BHA either in concentration or lower pH, you use them less in the week. A person has to find out how much works for them though.
If you're like me and just want to use them everyday use more gentle versions of AHA/BHA.
I use JM bioglycolic cleanser twice a day with an AHA toner, JM's bioclear lotion and then moisturize. That's my exfoliation which is everyday, but its not too much for me although could be for sensitive skin. Granted im not using anything too strong pH wise. Sometimes the bioclear lotion stings, but it goes away within a minute or so.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |