Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
hormones - I need help, please!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Suellen

Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hello girls!
I am 47, never had a hot flash, my periods are regular....and I am a basket case.
I am anxious, constantly worry, cry a lot, pick up ridiculous fights with my BF (loving, gentle, patient....for now). I can hardly stand myself.
ANYTHING that helped you in similar (perimenopausal?) situation, would you please share?
Going to the doctor would be hard for me as I don`t have a health insurance....but if I have to I would.
Anything - herbs,lotions, potions?
Please help before I lose whatever is left of my mind....
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2011 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
You could start by using ProGest, progesterone cream, which you can buy at Whole Foods and even cheaper online.
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2011 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
I second progesterone cream--progesterone is likely what you're deficient in. Melatonin and others may help too depending on your precise imbalance, so I highly recommend the book The Hormone Solution by Thierry Hertoghe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 3:24 am      Reply with quote
Can you check your local area for medical clinics that serve people who tend not to have insurance?

In my opinion only, it sounds like you need to have your hormones tested and perhaps a medical exam. Personally, I would not take hormones without professional advice.

Additionally, it could be something else - like a thyroid problem or emotionally based.

Good luck to you, BFG
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 18, 2011 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
Also add 25mg DHEA.
Suellen

Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much, ladies! Ordered ProGest, much cheaper online!
Does anyone has any experience with maca? It supposed to regulate hormones....
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm the same age as you and started having some hormonal issues a few years ago, mainly some hot flashes, heart palpitations, brain fog and irregular periods. Chaste tree extract (also called chaste vitex) helps regulat the body's production of progesterone and can be purchased in capsule or liquid form. I actually found this more effective for me than progesterone cream, but from what you describe your symptoms are worse than mine were. Still chaste tree has no side effects, is relatively inexpensive and doesn't interfere with any other medication or supplements so it's worth trying for a few months.

I've tried maca in powder form, I absolutely hate the taste and every time I take it I end up with really swollen boobs. I have only taken it for a week or so at a time which is not long enough to say whether it would eventually regulate my hormones, but it obviously did have an effect on my hormones. I probably tried it about 6 weeks all up and every time it caused swollen boobs.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Suellen wrote:

My situation is similar to yours. Please let us know how the Progest is working for you. It seemed to have many favorable reviews. Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Swollen boobs sounds like it was stimulating your estrogen receptors. Did they hurt as well?

I've read some conflicting data on maca.

bfg
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
I'm the same age as you and started having some hormonal issues a few years ago, mainly some hot flashes, heart palpitations, brain fog and irregular periods.

I have had the same thing for years now. The heart palps were the scariest thing to deal with. Thanks for recommending the chaste tree extract. I will have to look in to that!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've found the following herbal supplements to be super helpful for perimenopause and PMDD symptoms:

Estrotone by New Chapter
Dandelion Tea
Fennel Tea
Chasteberry (also known as Vitex)
Clary Sage Hydrosol by Nature's Gift, about 10 sprays in the mouth every morning when PMS starts until middle of period
Calm tea and Women's Moon Cycle by Yogi Tea

You can get all of the above at Vitacost.com and/or Drugstore.com, except for the clary sage.

Good luck!

Suellen wrote:
Hello girls!
I am 47, never had a hot flash, my periods are regular....and I am a basket case.
I am anxious, constantly worry, cry a lot, pick up ridiculous fights with my BF (loving, gentle, patient....for now). I can hardly stand myself.
ANYTHING that helped you in similar (perimenopausal?) situation, would you please share?
Going to the doctor would be hard for me as I don`t have a health insurance....but if I have to I would.
Anything - herbs,lotions, potions?
Please help before I lose whatever is left of my mind....

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:46 am      Reply with quote
Re swollen books, they weren't sore but there were tender, particularly the nipples. I think they did more to increase my estrogen production, rather than balance the estrogen/progesterone ratio. I know that Maca is touted as a product that will balance hormones naturally but based on my experience I would say it should be taken by someone who is experiencing low estrogen. In my case chaste tree has worked because it helps normalise the body's production of progesterone.
lilly123
5% products discount

Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
i guess its all normal for woman at 47 to feel the way we do as nasty as it all is maybe its better to whether the storm, thats not to say i enjoy feeling rubbish,i just live in hope it all ends very soon
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Maca is good - but the key is to start off slow - taking the minimum amount and slowly building up - instantly you notice you feel more uplifted and energetic - but I've read of people who started with the maximum dosage and had palpitations, difficulty sleeping, had acne breakouts - so the key really is to start off slow.

Vitex/Chasteberry is good too - my moods are definitely better when I take this during PMS - my skin thanks me for it too - the minute I stop taking Vitex I start getting zits... Wink

Iodine is another good one. But google it - there is a lot of info out there on it - I take it and it has helped me enormously! Very Happy

Hormone testing is expensive as all hell, especially if you dont have insurance and it's not very reliable because the results can vary on a daily basis and then what is considered 'within the normal range' swings wildly! I know all of this cos I've been there and done that Wink

Suellen wrote:
AmazingLife
5% products discount

Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Bio-identical hormone replacement! There is ia giant difference between bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (bhrt) and regular hrt. I'd look for an MD in your area who specializes in bhrt (others may be influenced by pharmacuetical companies and not know much about bhrt).

It's good to get your hormones checked but the tests are more often than not inconclusive. Regular hrt is known for really bad side effects (i.e. cancer), so be really careful. Trying topical/otc products yourself could be beneficial or not depending on what you needis, although these shouldn't be detrimental to you the way synthetic hormones can be.

I'm super happy you're thinking of hormones vs anti-depresents as many times the symptoms are similar. If you Google enough you'll read stories of women who've tried countless anti-depresents with no success, only to find out what they really needed was to address their hormone situation.

There are lots of books you can use for resources about BHRT. Hopefully they'll be a great resource for you.

Much love,
Laurie
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
AmazingLife wrote:
Bio-identical hormone replacement! There is ia giant difference between bio-identical hormone replacement therapy (bhrt) and regular hrt. I'd look for an MD in your area who specializes in bhrt (others may be influenced by pharmacuetical companies and not know much about bhrt).

It's good to get your hormones checked but the tests are more often than not inconclusive. Regular hrt is known for really bad side effects (i.e. cancer), so be really careful. Trying topical/otc products yourself could be beneficial or not depending on what you needis, although these shouldn't be detrimental to you the way synthetic hormones can be.

I'm super happy you're thinking of hormones vs anti-depresents as many times the symptoms are similar. If you Google enough you'll read stories of women who've tried countless anti-depresents with no success, only to find out what they really needed was to address their hormone situation.

There are lots of books you can use for resources about BHRT. Hopefully they'll be a great resource for you.

Much love,
Laurie

I so agree!!!!!BHRT helps you inside and out! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Yes progesterone will help a lot, you should go pick it up immediately. I use the Life Flo brand. However, be aware that you may also have estrogen deficiency & progesterone may make this worse. You definitely want progesterone to balance the estrogen you have because you most likely are estrogen dominant but using it won't address all your symptoms. You may need to use some estrogen also.

You will want to do some reading about bhrt & perimenopause to better understand what's happening and what your options are. I recommend books by Elizabeth Vliet, Uzzi Reiss, Suzanne Somers, T.S. Wiley etc. Wiley's books along with Suzanne's are some of the best but her approach to bhrt replacement is considered "extreme".
http://www.thewileyprotocol.com/

Elizabeth Vliet offers a more "moderate" approach:
http://www.herplace.com/

This book by Nancy Deville on health/wellness/anti aging has a great chapter on bhrt, recommend:
http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Sexy-Happy-Thrilling-Ultimate/dp/160832138X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321893379&sr=8-1

Nancy follows Virginia Hopkins:
http://www.virginiahopkinshealthwatch.com/
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |