Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
What do you do to control oily skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2011 10:11 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is always so oily, ESPECIALLY my nose. By mid-day (about 3-4 hours after washing my face), there's so much oil on my nose that it feels slippery. I'm already using a gel moisturizer and I've tried all kinds of mattifying products from dermalogica to make up for ever and it just doesn't help. I can't blot my face cause I always end up breaking out from it no matter what kind of brand I use. Is there any way to reduce the shine? I was thinking of putting on olive oil at night so my skin doesn't need to produce as much in the day, but I was told oil production is a result of hormones, so anything applied topically doesn't help (except maybe for Retin-A)

Tips??
rockhugger
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2011 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
What about "blotting" with a clean microfiber cloth (cleaned with a fragrance-free detergent/cleanser, no clogging fabric softener except possibly apple cider vinegar, and really well-rinsed), and then topping with a little powder?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 1:51 am      Reply with quote
I got a sample of "Decleor Aroma Purete Matt Finish Skin Fluid" ages ago and it worked by my skin. You could try using a sample to see how it does for yours. As I've gotten older I don't seem to have the oil issues I had when I was younger...either that or my skin is just happier and more balance now. I got my sample when I first came to EDS and my skin was a wreck! Breakouts and all.

Decleor's YY oil helped even alot of that too. I also started OCM at that time which really helped clean and even out my skin.

I remember reading about using Milk of Magnesia for really helping with the oilys. You would have to run a search since I have not used it myself.

Hope it helps!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I would skip the moisturizer. Why add moisture when you skin doesn't need it, alteast on your nose.

Have you tried blotting with tissue/toilet paper? That works well too, the cheap 1 ply stuff.

I think MAC blot powder works really well. Many feel Maybelline Dream Matte is a good powder too.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Forgot to mention, grapeseed oil is a good oil for really oily skin. It it can drying for many.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 7:35 am      Reply with quote
How about using a BHA or AHA product just on the nose?

GirlieGirl wrote:
Forgot to mention, grapeseed oil is a good oil for really oily skin. It it can drying for many.

Castor oil is very drying as well.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 8:37 am      Reply with quote
@rockhugger: Hmm I haven't tried blotting with a cloth before - does it actually absorb oil? I am currently using powder and it just ends up getting overwhelmed by the oil.

@deanne: I'll definitely look into milk of magnesia. I have heard about it before but never really considered
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 am      Reply with quote
@girliegirl: I'm using Paula's choice skin balancing moisturizer for oily skin and it really doesn't have many emollient ingredients - mostly just antioxidants. I do use toilet paper and it seems to break me out the least but I was hoping of getting something that would "control" the oil rather than wipe it off my face. Does the Mac powder work better than MUFE microfinish? I do want to try OCM, but I'm afraid of being one of those people who can't tolerate it and end up breaking out instead. I guess I'll have to give it a shot though =/

@russiansunshine: I am currently using Paula's choice BHA on my entire face. I can't use it too often or else I break out even more (so complicated Mad )
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the suggestions Smile

Would Retin-A help control oil? though I would probably use it as a last resort...

What about Vit C?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 11:06 am      Reply with quote
I dont know if you have seen it or not but Paula's Choice has a new oil absorbing product; Shine Stopper Instant Matte Finish with Microsponge® Technology. I dont know how well it works or not but it may be worth checking out, free shipping right now too.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions Smile

Would Retin-A help control oil? though I would probably use it as a last resort...

What about Vit C?

I have the same problem, oasisjc. My skin is normal all over my face, and very oily on the nose with tons of little dirty pores Very Happy I cannot use neither BHA nor AHA a lot as it irritates my skin. Retin A is the only thing that worked. Never heard of Vit C being effective to control the shine.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
When I had very oily skin, it was very frustrating! I learned to control my oily skin with oil. I started to use Sonya Dakar oil for acne prone skin. I used a mild cleanser (Cetaphil) and that helped also. I never used matifying lotion, because that just made my skin produce more oil.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
@girliegirl: Yeah I did see it, but I didn't want to try it because the reviews weren't too good and it doesn'ts eem to work well with makeup

@russiansunshine: hmm I guess I'll have to look into Retin-A then, even though I really want to avoid it. But I'll probably try it in the winter when the sun isn't so crazy and after I have found my HG sunscreen

@skincare: What is in the oil that helps control oily skin?

And would taking omega-3 supplements help with oil production and such?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2011 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
oasisjc wrote:
@girliegirl: Yeah I did see it, but I didn't want to try it because the reviews weren't too good and it doesn'ts eem to work well with makeup

@russiansunshine: hmm I guess I'll have to look into Retin-A then, even though I really want to avoid it. But I'll probably try it in the winter when the sun isn't so crazy and after I have found my HG sunscreen

@skincare: What is in the oil that helps control oily skin?

And would taking omega-3 supplements help with oil production and such?

Sonya Dakar oil promised omega 3,6 & 9, but I think it had wheatgerm oil. I applied it on lightly, then I wore sunscreen. It was a bit greasy, but with time, my skin became more normal.
ElleWoods
5% products discount

Fri May 20, 2011 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
I skip the moisturizer and use a cleanser for oily skin. Make sure that my skin feels clean even if it means washing twice.

Change pillowcase every night. Keep hands off face. Use oil free cosmetics and sunscreen. Keep hair clean!

Hope this helps!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
So I've decided to take the plunge and use jojoba oil in kassy's vit C serum. since jojoba oil mimics our skin's sebum, does it end up leaving any shine at all?
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
When I had oily skin, I made a toner with lavender and that really helped control the oil. I had a moisturizer with lavender in it that claimed it was good for dry skin but it actually was very drying so it would be a good balance for oily skin.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm      Reply with quote
When I had oily skin, I made a toner with lavender and that really helped control the oil. I had a moisturizer with lavender in it that claimed it was good for dry skin but it actually was very drying so it would be a good balance for oily skin.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2011 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
fairlady
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 10:29 am      Reply with quote
One of the best products for oily skin is Lemon. Before bed, rub lemon juice on the T-zone area (be careful to avoid the eye area and the cheeks) to help prevent secretion of excess oils. In the morning splash cold water on your face to remove the lemon juice.

Two cosmetics that are popular with some ladies that I know, who also struggle with oily T-zones are Meow Primer and Lily Lolo MMU (#1 selling MMU in Europe and recently voted beauty editors pick from ELLE magazine) they both are suppose to assist in keeping you "shine free" all day.

Here's a link for Lily Lolo http://www.lilylolo.us/mineral-foundation/lily-lolo-mineral-foundation-shade-guide.html

I have not tried Lily Lolo or Meow but my friends have been raving about them, so they are on my list of things to try - After, I finish my Jane Iredale supply! Have tried the lemon juice during the humid summer months and it does help considerably.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 am      Reply with quote
Just be careful with lemon juice if you have sensitive skin. I used it on my nose once and got a huge red rash from it.
LightenNlift
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
The Retin-A 0.1% gel at night, Lumene Cleansing Oil, Natural Skin Shop's 10% AHA serum (only for the nose at night), and the Osmosis Shelter Sunblock controls and got rid of my oily skin.

You should look into the strongest retin-a in gel form to re-structure your oil glands (possibly shrinking them) and then use an oil cleanser with an emulsifier at night to dissolve extra daily oil buildup and use a Zinc Oxide based sunscreen to mattify your nose and face during the day. All of this should keep the oil at bay or at best eliminate it all together.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 25, 2011 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
I dont think lavender will help me... my skincare products used to contain this ingredient and it was responsible for irritating my skin.

And lemon juice just ends up burning my skin too.

I'm actually quite scared of using Retin-A because of the initial reaction the skin gets. But if I were to try it, I'd probably do it in the fall or something because i still haven't found a good sunscreen for my skin. Would micro also help get rid of oiliness because i am still blemish-prone
Gracy

Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 am      Reply with quote
go for some cream as Skinlastin..i found it best than other cream.i got fruitful results within 2 weeks. Smile
Bex1

Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I have a very oily T zone and have found maybellene dream matte mousse foundation and the powder good.

I would recommend you continue mosturising as this can have the opposite effect if you stop I've found and can produce more oil.

Also cleanse, tone, mosturise on an evening too, early on if you can so it's absorbed by bed time.

Good luck x :)
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |