Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
MSM supplements and your period
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
brassflower
5% products discount

Mon May 23, 2011 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
Is it true that taking MSM can interfere with your menstrual cycle? Has anyone here experienced this and if so what symptoms did you observe?

Also, if this is true, at what dosage level is the interference triggered?

I'm taking between 6,000 - 8,000 mg a day and my period was almost 10 days late this month. I've been taking the supplements for 2 months.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2011 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
I used to take MSM caps by themselves and never noticed any changes in my cycle. I am now taking skincare capsules with MSM as one of the ingredients and still have not noticed any changes either. I don't think I ever took over 2000mg per day though. I remember reading that someone here developed some problems when she took over the recommended dosage. I can't remember what it was though. Try to do a quick search, the thread should pop up.

5% products discount

Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
This is freaky. It happened again this month and I ended up in an argument with DH because I thought I was pregnant. Took three test, all negative. I am now 6 days late and waiting. I think I'm done taking this supplement.

So weird that I can't find any scientific papers or studies about this side effect of MSM Confused

It seems common enough given results from a Google search.
mustangtiff21

Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking about 8k in caps for a while and never noticed any problems. However, this month I started taking the powder and was stomach sick and 4 days early...talk about weird. its either the msm or foti I started. Also, my cycle is not as long. I have seen on other hair fourms that some women have experienced a delayed cycle or messed up on while on msm. So I would think its that....hope this helps!
brassflower
5% products discount

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
It's def the MSM. Finally cramping a little. Never thought I'd be sitting here begging for my period!
Bermie2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:54 am      Reply with quote
that's a pretty high dose. I think it should be about 4000? I personally can't stomach it, literally, it makes me fee sick, upsets my tummy. Never heard of the period thing?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:11 am      Reply with quote
Wow! 8000mg is an awful lot of MSM! Try cutting your dosage in half and see what happens. I wouldn't cut it out of your regime at all as we do really need it but I do think you are taking way too much!

I take 2 rounded teaspoons per day - 1 teaspoon first thing in the morning and another later in the day. I cant take any more than that as it tastes too gross! I have it in a small glass of water with some sugar-free cordial to help disguise the taste a bit.

Taking this dosage I have noticed that my periods are lighter and only 2-3 days which is not a problem for me - I prefer it that way Wink

People experiencing gas, bloating, pains or cramps on MSM need to try a lower dosage. I dont have any of these issues - I did at first until my body adjusted, but I did start off slowly with only half a teaspoon and worked my way up.
circus
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Glamcat wrote:
I take 2 rounded teaspoons per day - 1 teaspoon first thing in the morning and another later in the day.

Did you get that weighted? That sounds like alot to me too. Confused

I used to take powdered MSM (Source Naturals OptiMSM) and I remember half teaspoon being the equivalent of 2.6g (or 2600mg). It might be different with other brands though.
Glamcat
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I phoned the company that makes the brand I buy - they recommend 1/2 teaspoon twice a day to start with but that you can have as much as 4 teaspoons per day. On their old packaging I recall it said 1 teaspoon was 1000mg but they changed the packaging and it does not say now what 1 teaspoon is equivalent to - but I've just stayed with what I'm accustomed to. Wink

I have some serious scarring issues to try to resolve which is why I take the amount I do - and I dont have any adverse reactions to that amount - but each person is different.

When I say rounded teaspoons they are not heaped by any means - just slightly rounded and not flat level teaspoons.

circus wrote:
Did you get that weighted? That sounds like alot to me too. Confused

I used to take powdered MSM (Source Naturals OptiMSM) and I remember half teaspoon being the equivalent of 2.6g (or 2600mg). It might be different with other brands though.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting you should mention this.. I recently upped my MSM intake and when my period came two days late, it was BLACK. You can imagine how much I freaked out because I've never had a late period and have always been reasonably "normal" in that department. I thought it was this fat burning device that I was using on my stomach, but this month, same thing. I'll cut down on the MSM for a while to see if this is the culprit.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Ava that's really interesting on the BLACK issue! Dark colouring is usually a sign of 'old blood' - so maybe the increase in your MSM intake caused a 'purging' of some sort? It is very good at eliminating toxins from the body which is why many people complain of having breakouts when they first start taking MSM. When I first started taking it I got zits on my chin for AGES - I thought it would never stop and I had a persistent sulphur smell for a few hours after taking it! lol so bad was that smell I often contemplated giving up on it!

But I dont feel I've had a negative outcome with my periods - they are always perfectly on time but they are lighter and shorter duration - and I'm not sure if that is from the MSM or surgery I had in Feb to remove a very large fibroid!? Who knows!? It will remain a mystery, but for now I will keep taking MSM because the light periods are a dream after having periods that were so heavy and lasting 2-3 weeks when I had that ghastly fibroid!
finnicky

Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Just wanna share my experience with MSM...

When I first started taking the supplement I missed my period for three months. I got spotting during when I was supposed to have my period though.

In the fourth month my period returned but flow was so slow it lasted seven days instead of my usual five days.

This has been the fifth month and I've just had my period, and everything's back to normal. Seems like my body has adjusted itself over time.

The dosage I'm taking is 750mg on a daily basis.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |