Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Problems with my Accutane experiment
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
olosir
5% products discount

Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Thus far, I'm very upset about my Accutane trial. I have taken a total of four 20 mg pills, none since Monday. At my dermatologist's request, I will take at least a two week break. I experienced a lot of side effects, but these have resolved over the last few days. Unfortunately, my face does not look good. Last Saturday, I spent approximately 30 minutes outside in a relatively shady spot. Despite applying SPF 20 earlier in the day, I awoke Sunday morning with a sunburn. It has not resolved. My face is still itchy and warm, and even minimal sun exposure during the day seems to further irritate my skin. I just can't fathom how so little of this drug affected me so much. I hope that this sun sensitivity passes once I've been off the drug for at least a few weeks. However, I'm concerned about the damage I may have done. And, more importantly, my face really looks bad right now. Why won't this sunburn go away?

I hav
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Olosir,
A sunscreen with SPF 20 is not nearly high enough while taking Accutane or using any form of vitamin a. I personally don't think 20 is ever strong enough!

I suggest you use a good physical sunscreen with a minimum SPF 30. One that is high in zinc oxide should offer adequate protection.

You do seem to be highly reactive to Accutane. I would definitely stay in touch with your doctor during your regimen.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that the SPF you're using isn't high enough. Accutane can make your skin extremely sensitive so you have to take as much caution as possible.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that the SPF you're using isn't high enough. Accutane can make your skin extremely sensitive so you have to take as much caution as possible.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
My son takes Accutane. According to his derm some people are extremely sensitive to Accutane. My son seems to be one of them. He's taking 10mg and has had some side effects. Even that low dose is helping his skin which the derm was surprised about.

You may want to talk to your Dr. about dropping your dose down and see if it works better.
olosir
5% products discount

Fri May 27, 2011 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the responses. Overall, I'm just so surprised at how poorly I tolerated 20 mg. As I mentioned earlier, I'm stopping for two weeks - I see the derm then so we'll see what the new approach will be. I can certainly drop to 10 mg, but now I'm apprehensive about taking Accutane at any dose. Meanwhile, I don't know if my face is red and stinging because of the residual effects of last week, or if taking a few doses caused a mini Rosacea flare. I know it's probably unlikely, but I feel like I've "ruined" my face.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Did your doctor tell you to stop taking the medication?
olosir
5% products discount

Fri May 27, 2011 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
@oasisjc: Yes, he advised me to stop because he was concerned with the "brain fog" and shift in mood that I described. It was literally hours after I took my first dose that I began to feel very weird - for lack of a better term.
paulspnao
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2011 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing this. I was in two minds to let my son take this as he is very keen however I don’t think this would be for him. Instead of running the risk of all these side effects it may worth while just keeping him with the spots he has and keeping trying lotions and creams. He does not have acne however lots of spots and his skin is very oily. We did purchase 2 lotions from turkey which kind of worked however you have to keep using it otherwise the spots return.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 8:39 am      Reply with quote
paulspnao wrote:
Thank you for sharing this. I was in two minds to let my son take this as he is very keen however I don’t think this would be for him. Instead of running the risk of all these side effects it may worth while just keeping him with the spots he has and keeping trying lotions and creams. He does not have acne however lots of spots and his skin is very oily. We did purchase 2 lotions from turkey which kind of worked however you have to keep using it otherwise the spots return.

I probably wouldn't have him take Accutane either if he doesn't have acne. While this has been many years ago for me, my derm only prescribed Accutane as a "last effort" -- so to speak. I think it's important to check out other less intense treatments first.

Like I've said in other posts on a variety of threads, Accutane was a life saver for me. I was suffering from disfiguring cystic acne in my early 20's. The treatment took care of the acne in its entirety, and I very rarely get a blemish.

5% products discount

Sat May 28, 2011 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
To all: do you think I'm still photosensitive after 5 days of stopping Accutane? I still feel like I'm burning when I walk outside.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
paulspnao wrote:

I would suggest you try other options first if you haven't already. There are some prescription creams (epiduo, differin) that help most people. Plus you can try oral antibiotics if there are cysts. These helped my son for a while and then the acne would come back.

He tried everything before resorting to the accutane. Finally, his cysts were so bad there were infection concerns and major scarring starting to happen.

The accutane has made a big difference, but it it a powerful drug and you don't want to take it unless you have to. His derm counts his cysts at each months appt - first appt he got to 100 and stopped; 2nd month was 32; this time was 10!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
olosir wrote:
To all: do you think I'm still photosensitive after 5 days of stopping Accutane? I still feel like I'm burning when I walk outside.

I believe Accutane stays in your system for a while. I know that when you stop, they recommend no peels or harsh treatments for 6 months afterwards.

Use a zinc-based sunscreen (like Burnout or Devita) - it'll help to shield your skin. Plus the zinc can be healing.

Not sure what else you are using on your skin, but make sure there are no citrus oils or extracts in them - they can make your skin more sensitive in the sun.

Hang in there. I hope it gets better soon.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like an allergic reaction to it. Accutane isn't for everyone unfortunately =/
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
paulspnao wrote:

I would suggest you try other options first if you haven't already. There are some prescription creams (epiduo, differin) that help most people. Plus you can try oral antibiotics if there are cysts. These helped my son for a while and then the acne would come back.

He tried everything before resorting to the accutane. Finally, his cysts were so bad there were infection concerns and major scarring starting to happen.

The accutane has made a big difference, but it it a powerful drug and you don't want to take it unless you have to. His derm counts his cysts at each months appt - first appt he got to 100 and stopped; 2nd month was 32; this time was 10!

Shastagirl,
That's amazing! My derm never counted my cysts although I had to go every month for blood tests and "surgery" where he actually drained them -- yuck!! Like I said, Accutane was a miracle drug for me; maybe it will be for your son too! Best of luck! Smile

Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |