Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Terrible Twisters in Midwest
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2011 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone! I live approximately 75 miles north of Joplin, Missouri where an F5 tornado hit last week killing at least 133 people. This tornado has been one of the worst to hit the U.S. in the last sixty years. Many people are still unaccounted for and are most likely presumed dead at this point.

I don't know if any of you have seen pictures of the devastation but it truly looks like Armageddon. The images are unbelievable. So many have perished...from the elderly to a 19-month old, and even an 18 year old young man returning home from his high school graduation. It is so, so sad and so very real as it is very close to home for me.

While most of you probably have never heard of Jolin, MO -- a town of about 70,000 -- I ask that you simply pray for the residents. Normalcy will be a long, long time away.

Thank you all so much!

Kim

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I saw before and after photos yesterday - absolutely shocking.

Those poor people and animals. It looks like almost total devastation.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Thank you, Majorb. President Obama is touring Joplin today.

I read in our local paper yesterday that a young wife and mom lost her husband and two children in the storm. I just can't imagine that kind of loss.

I know there's been other storm systems that have also wreaked havoc in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Alabama. This spring seems to be a rather violent season in terms of weather.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 9:35 am      Reply with quote
The devastation of Joplin is horrible. Kims, did you have any of the tornadoes where you live? I am from the midwest, and have always been terrified of tornadoes.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Considering that tornadoes are a fact of life in the midwest, I've always been surprised that underground shelters aren't mandated by law in town centers or for neighborhoods with homes without basements, and that housing codes don't require everyone to have a basement.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
The devastation of Joplin is horrible. Kims, did you have any of the tornadoes where you live? I am from the midwest, and have always been terrified of tornadoes.

We just got hit with some major thunderstorms. Scary enough!

Since we in the midwest live through tornado "season" both spring and fall, I think we get rather complacent when the sirens go off -- which can be frequently. We can have a"Tornado Warning" when there's not really a tornado -- just rotation or a wall cloud. so, many people will fail to seek shelter. And, be like my husband who likes to go outside and "watch" the storm. Several years ago, he once watched a tornado lift over our house!

People never imagine that anything like this could happen to them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Considering that tornadoes are a fact of life in the midwest, I've always been surprised that underground shelters aren't mandated by law in town centers or for neighborhoods with homes without basements, and that housing codes don't require everyone to have a basement.

We, fortunately have a basement in our house. And, if I ever built or moved to another, I would definitely make sure that we had some type of underground shelter.

Many people in Joplin drove to the Home Depot to take shelter. No basement there, but certainly a strong structure. The tornado destroyed the HD, killing several.

I suppose it would be a "money issue" if storm shelters were mandates.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
This is very upsetting and devastating for the people in the Midwest and I do hope that they find the people who are unaccounted for. I live in Australia and we had some devastating floods and cyclones recently which was quite scary and quite a few people lost there lives. I do hope everyone stays safe and my heart goes out to those effected by these terrible twisters.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2011 3:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Divine Diva! I think what's really hard and sad for families who still have loved ones unaccounted for is the length of the process. Many people who died are being housed in a morgue and families are not allowed to go in at this time.

I guess some people are unrecognizable and DNA will need to be used to make a positive identification.

There is no rhyme or reason to explain horrific natural disasters, but I still can't help asking "Why?"

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
I read that they were using circus elephants to clear debris in Joplin.
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
I read that they were using circus elephants to clear debris in Joplin.

I personally haven't heard that. I'll have to watch the news tonight and see if they mention that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/may/31/elephants-clear-debris-in-joplin-55985-vi-33050/
kims
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/may/31/elephants-clear-debris-in-joplin-55985-vi-33050/

Interesting! Still never saw it on the local news or papers??

Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:47 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |