Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Glycolic peel. Advice needed.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
auglen

Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Hey,

I ordered a 70% solution of Glycolic Acid (70% Glycolic Acid, 30% water at a pH of 0.6) and wanted to use that as a peel.

My original plan was to dilute it down with water to a milder concentration and directly use that.
But before doing that I tried to put some of that 70% stuff on my hand then on my chest and I cannot feel it doing anything (was expecting some major itching at least). So obviously diluting it makes no sense at that point.

What am I missing? Shall I be dissolving it in something?
Is the pH too low? (I thought that would just make it more harsh).

I tried searching around but found no definitive answers, I know most people do mix it with other chemicals but as far as I understand it's to enhance the mixture rather than to "activate" the acid.

What am I missing?
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Glycolic acid doesn't necessarily have to give a burning sensation in order for it to work. Some skin just tolerates it better than others. And by diluting it with water, you may actually be making the pH too high to make it effective depending on how much you added.
auglen

Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:38 am      Reply with quote
I completely understand that my skin might tolerate it pretty well, but I was still expecting a 70% concentration (I have not diluted anything yet) at such a low pH of 0.6 to be at least a little harsh.

I just left it on my chest and my hand a let it sink in/dry. And most people are saying how such a concentration is dangerous and you should just put it there for a few minutes.
I find it strange.

I have Paula's Choice 8% liquid AHA too, I can confirm that it does smell very similar and leaves pretty much the same residue so I think I can rule out getting fake stuff.

I guess I'll just put the 70% stuff on my face tonight and see how it goes.
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
Wow... you are brave. Be careful, you may likely do long term damage at 70%.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah I wouldn't recommend jumping into a 70% peel on your face right away.. Have you tried other strengths before?
auglen

Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:38 pm      Reply with quote
Just a little update.
I did put the 70% concentration on my face yesterday.
I got very mild itching in certain places on my face (just a few) which made me happy as the stuff was definitely working Smile
I was about to go to sleep so given all the horror stories I was a little afraid to leave it overnight so I washed it off after around 30 minutes.
Right after washing it off the texture of the skin was definitely a little different, a little rubbery I would say, a little redness on the chain and upper lip has also showed up after it.

Today it's already back to normal.
I guess I will do it again soon, I also got some salicylic acid (powder form), so today I'll perhaps experiment with that.

My skin is fairly resistant, before I only used the daily 8% AHA/2% BHA stuff so nothing too crazy, but I have never really managed to seriously irritate my skin, the best I got was slight flaking after aggressively using BP and acids to gather for a longer time.

It's so interesting how everybody's skin reacts so differently. I remember when I first started treating acne with BP I would read how it's very harsh and you have to be so careful, all the horror stories of people getting severe flaking, having to put tons of moisturiser to avoid disaster.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah I'm always envious of people who can tolerate such high concentration of peels. You all must have really nice skin Mad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |